Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Make a Bellhousing out of an old Intake Manifold!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudpedal, Apr 11, 2010.

1. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

In my opinion, heat treating the parts I'm doing is overkill. It wouldn't hurt to do it, but I choose not to. I stay away from the cheap aluminum. Basicly I choose cast aluminum for my scrap. I get the best results from American intake manifolds. I don't use extruded aluminum at all. That stuff gives poor results. I've never had anything crack or break...

2. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Yes, there is always shrinkage. It's about an 1/8" per foot for aluminum. You just build that into your patterns.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

This is very much appreciated! Thanks so much. I did foundry in high school, always wanted to re-visit this part of the hobby. Very inspiring, well written post!

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

that rules Kris.

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very very cool Kris.

Thanks for taking the time to put the thread together.

I feel very unworthy.

6. roddinron

roddinron

Great thread! Thanks.

7. budd

budd

great tech, so i'm looking for one of those v-drives for a dragster project, heres a picture of the engine taken back in 1962, do you make the drives to sell? i vote you win.

Attached Files:

8. deucegasser

deucegasser

Excellent information,thank you.

9. Great Tech Kris, very enlightening, even if I never do it. Thanks for taking the time to post.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

11. Kramer

Kramer

12. freakboy

freakboy

i have a question do you have a way to cast manifolds? i can see that being difficult/imposible because the shape of them and the holow insides.

13. That is all about how complicated you can make your pattern and design in core pieces that the aluminum can flow around - take a look at the mold for his mag drive - it has a simple core in the middle of it to reduce the amount of machining he needs to do.

I've always wanted to build a furnace and pour some aluminum parts for my projects. I've looked into it two or three times in the last couple of years, I just have never made that step. I do get to see this stuff on a regular basis - I'm an engineer that works at an automation company that works primarily in foundries.

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

if you dont want to mix your own casting sand there are places on line you can buy sand and small crucibles ,

15. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Funny you should ask. My Dad and I were talking about doing some Flathead cylinder heads last night. All we need is some time to devote to the project...

Oil bonded sand has been mentioned. If you are going to do a bunch of casting, it's well worth the investment, because it's much less maintenance than clay bonded sand...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Outstanding post, well written with clear photographs of how its done. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
    Dale K
    Cleveland OH

hipster likes this.
  17. bct

bct

great thread ...thanks loudpedal!.....my buddy made a crucible from a starter housing he welded a 1/2" bottom on a heavy one....he pours lead for downriggers

18. I've done a fair amount of casting at home with my charcoal furnace. Your castings are far superior to mine. My sand is certainly to blame. I'm going to mix up a batch of Petrobond or K Bond for my next project. How did you melt enough aluminum to pour a bellhousing, or is your furnace larger than it appears?

19. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

It took about 18 lbs to pour the bellhousing mold when you count all of the risers and gates the mold had. That was just about right at the limit of the crucible I was using at the time...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

21. perkshotrods

perkshotrods

subscribed , great post--- thank you

22. Sebastian.A.G

Sebastian.A.G
    from argentina

very cool, great tech post

thanks

23. 54stude

54stude

I have taken a college level foundry class, and your post did a better job of explaining the process than my professor did!

24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Very nice work!

25. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

26. Dyce

Dyce

Very good tech post Kris. Thanks for sharing!!

27. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is some great stuff thanks for sharing.

28. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

This is a great tech. I have been wondering how I could do this at home and now I know.

29. trad27

trad27

Very interesting, now I want to try this. Is there a way you can make the part out of foam or a light wax and leave it in the sand and the molten aluminum would melt away the wax and foam? Or would it just cause impurities in the aluminum?

30. 57FORD

57FORD

i want to try this as well :) i can think of several things i could make for my truck