Register now to get rid of these ads!

Z28 five spokes on 64 back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Apr 11, 2010.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think GM made these to resemble the old torq thrust type wheels but they dont look near as good, however they are a good strong factory wheel that dont look real bad and with the rite paint color or maybe reversed or set back center for a deeper dish might be cool.........or not:rolleyes:
    Anyone ever use these on there older car etc. or have ideas on paint color etc.
    Im considering trying some kind of combo using some like these on my driver 55 chevy if I could achieve a cool more classic look or is this idea too cheesy?
    [​IMG]

2. belair

belair

They put the ug in ugly. A 55 Chevy deserves better.

3. ran these on my old 64 396 4 speed SS - my first hot car...always loved these wheels...gots to get some pics up....

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have seen those rims on 5.6.& 7 Chevys in the past, moreso in the 80's. Often times the rims were painted body color. I don't care for them on the tri-5s but its not my car, it's yours so if you want to put them on your car than do it. And if you're not happy with those rims, you can always change them. There are a lot of rims out there.

5. just wait and get the real thing!

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I always liked these wheels during the period they were introduced. Still like them in some applications. Modifying them is not easy though. The way the centers are shaped and welded to the rims would not lend itself to changing the offset. You will find it much easier to use as is or not at all.

Ray

7. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Well, you asked for an opinion...

I think they are the perfect wheel for an original Z28. I think there are much better choices for a 55.

Now that being said, if you already have the wheels and are just trying to get by, go for it. But don't ask if there is a better looking wheel!

Good luck with your project!

8. mosthumanmofo

mosthumanmofo

9. Spity

Spity

I sold a complete set for 500 bucks not to long ago. They look good on 68-72 Novas, not on a '55

10. Deuces

Deuces

I think the earlier '67-'69 Z/28 Rally wheels would look better on '55-'57. Makes those cars look tough! :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  11. tommy v

tommy v

those ONLY belong on a 70 and up camaro

12. I have a set I put on one of my rides an all black Chevy coupe.
    I blasted them and then painted them with a 1981, 1982 Olds, Buick color called light jadestone.
    I forget the color code number but light jadestone is a very light green metallic.
    Any paint jobber could mix you up a pint to do them if they got the older books and formulas.
    There's a guy in my area with a 49 Chevy 5 window truck that painted his a light powder blue to match his color of the truck.
    I'll warn you though.........those wheels are very heavy (2 piece) and very difficult to balance.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

No matter what you do, they will never look right on your 55. Sorry man, neither will Rally Wheels of any kind. Unless you're building an 80's style ride, then you're in the wrong place.

14. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

CRAGAR SS + 55 CHEVROLET = HOT and NOSTALGIC :cool::cool:

15. the masses have spoken and back in the 80's their was a 55' 2dr. sdn. white over yellow/ bbc/4spd that had them and the guy did it to bait the unsuspecting into a slaughter on the streets! what a monster car. but please refrain unless you have a mullet!:D:D

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I guess I am trying to overthink what would workout for some decent wheels with good usability.
    I want something that hasnt already been done to death on a 55 but yet practical and affordable.
    Ive got bigger springs and balljoint spacers in it now but was thinking of taking them out since Im not having any luck finding used affordable 15 wheels with a shallow backspace to clear the balljoint spacers.
    I have been thinking of painting it red,keeping all the altitude I can in the front without the spacers and paint these type wheels a charcoal color maybe in satin or flat.
    I know that sounds kind of 80s generic,cheesy but somehow kind of cool at the same time.
    Maybe I will snap out of it in a day or two but Im tired of messin with my old 14 inch cragars with a flat tire every time I go to the garage.
    I need to be spending some money on paint and interior instead of wrestling with wheels for now.
    All of what you guys said is also my thoughts, at diffrent times of course:D
    sorry for the senseless rambling,I will figure out a derection;)

17. wheel choice ?
    come on'.........since when do you need help with that?

what you pick is like a woman deciding what shoes go with different outfits..

some sexy, some comfortable,some like gramma's going to walmart....

what's your outfit gonna be?.... pick accordingly..
    like was said wheels can be changed ..
    heck you don't even have to match front to back ... or side to side

just pick some and keep looking... i ain't like paint or interior .. now thats a more permanent choice

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sell those wheels and buy something that suits the period...cragars, slots, etc.

probably won't cost more than your Z28 wheels sell for.

19. TRUCKENSTEIN

TRUCKENSTEIN

I had a set on my 1966 Chevy II, looked good on that but the 55,,,hmm,,,

20. Tony

Tony

Like the other's said...i'd pass on running them on the 55.
    Plain steel wheels would look better in my honest opinion.
    But, thats just my thoughts..

Tony

21. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

The trim rings from those look interesting on plain wheels with poverty caps, otherwise leave 'em for the Z/28 restorers. Just my $.02.

22. Well, Cragers or slots are used way to much. Those would look different but are not nececarily my cup of tea. But do as you wish it is your car after all. Who cares what others say, do it how you want it.

23. Just my 2 cents but I would sell them to some muscle car guy and buy a better looking wheel.Ralley wheels of any sort don't belong on pre muscle car era cars.They always make the car look cheap and out of place.The only time this might be acceptable is if you have a mullet and live in the trailer park.That's just my 2 cents the important thing is it is your car and if you like that look then run with it you paid for it do what you want.

24. Deuces

Deuces

Another nice rim is the 5 spoke Magnum 500.. Those were installed on later '69's and '70 chevies.. :)

25. kustombypook

kustombypook

Exactly.

26. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I have had several sets of the wheels. I liked them on my Nova & Camaro. But they don't belong on a 55 I think they would be to wide for the front also.Ralleys are just as bad they only belong on what they came on.Might look at som Radairs or ET wheels. Slots would be good choice Cragars are over done. My 2 cents