Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 crate motor wont start???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by r600, Apr 11, 2010.

1. r600

r600

can anyone help,i am putting a 290hp 350 goodwrench crate motor i my mates ski boat will not fire????do you need to adjust the rocker gear or is this already do at the factory???have tryed everything i know have spark and fuel???????????when you turn the dissy to advance or retard while winding over doesnt change????cheers adrian

2. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

you got the firing order right? is it staticly timed?

3. r600

r600

tell me what you mean by static timed,firing order 18436572,cheers adrian

4. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

yes chevy 350 is 18436572 but you could have the dist in 180 out so is it poping out the carb?

5. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

pull the #1 plug (front driver side) put the bal on like 10btdc or what ever your timing spec is stick a probe into the spark plug hole and make sure piston is at top of cly

6. r600

r600

no not pop doesnt mater what i do with dissy it doesnt load up when you advance it,i pulled the 1 plug out cranked ill it started to come up on no1 comp stop at about 12 degrees put wire in plug hole to feel the piston coming up when it got to the top at 0 degrees????cheers adrian

7. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

ok so now pop the cap and see where the rotor is pointed is it above the #1 wire?

8. r600

r600

yes it is pointing to 1,i just put 1 anywhere and start the firing order from there thats ok isnt it?????????

9. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

yes as long as its the right rotation is the rotor spining clockwise when you turn the motor?

10. r600

r600

yes right hand rotation

11. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

If you are using the flywheel and other starter gear that originated with the engine you are replacing, I would also check engine rotation, I am no boat mechanic, but have read of some boat engines that look like a stock auto engine have cams ground to allow engine to run in opposite direction.

12. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

ok cool now spin the motor over to your intial timing setting put the mark on the bal at that agian make sure the pist is at the top of the cyld then put the #1 plug into the wire and ground it the with the key on or power to the coil rotate the dist back and forth untill you see the plug fire or its like putting #1 over the rotor then put the plug back in snug it down abit so it dont move and it should fire up and be staticly timed hope this helped good luck

13. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

had a problem just like his on a 350 Chevy truck engine. i know you checked once but check FUEL, SPARK, AND AIR(compression) if you have all 3 then move on. my engine had a wrong cam for the engine and bent valves. other than that timing. make sure you on tdc #1 on compression stroke. im guessing the valves are not adjusted yet and your not getting movement in the valves. pull a valve cover and check. make sure that the distributor is actually spinning the way you think it is. sorry if none of this help

14. r600

r600

ok have been over playing and it seems????that sh-ty twin point dissy is the problem,both sets of point dont spark all the time,this set sometimes and the other set sometimes????i did get it to fire but moved the dissy a little and back to the spark problem again,my mate got a new procomp electronic dissy but it wont supply any spark at all????

15. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

put in an hei and be done with it what style is your procomp?

16. r600

r600

yeh i had 010 350 with point delco remy and the put hei what a difference,do you have pro comp stuff over ther hasnt got a good name here,cheers for your help adrian

17. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

yeah dual points are garbage hes a boat so he should be locked out anyways

18. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Always use a boat distributor ,Different from car ,What outdrive ....Or is it a stern drive Also check the cable which controls forward and reverse ,If not adusted properly It wont run.....

20. r600

r600

well got the new hei in the engine today and sh-t it still wont start???crank engine over with no1 plug out starts to compress use a piece of wire rotate by hand till piston gets to tbc timing 0 lines up???crank engine with plug out (earthed out) and plug has spark.got dark and pulled the plug,but maybe need to get the covers off and see what the rocker gears doing>can anyone see what i am doing?????help????????

21. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

are you sure your not putting the dist.in 180deg out?if not i guess you can take the valve covers off but im sure the rockers arnt ajustable.did you do a compresson ckeck?if you have fuel, comp,spark it should run.im sure there is something simple that is being overlooked.

22. r600

r600

if the dissy is 180 out -i would think that i wouldnt have compression on no1???or am i missing something?????

23. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

dist has nothing to do with comp it just fires it with spark

24. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

it has comp.on both.one intake fuel and spark,the other comp,stroke pushs the exhaust out.the piston doesnt care which one it just pumps.if you take the valve cover off turn the motor and watch the valves.after the intake valve closes then the piston comes up to compress it then the dist.throws the spark to the compressed air and fuel.

25. r600

r600

engine is a brand new goodwrech 290hp engine,it does have compression just lacks the spark timing,will pull the cover off tomorrow look after inlet valve opens and closes as they both inlet and exhaust become rocking is that tdc compression??????

26. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

yes?if i understand you correctly.as soon as the intake valve starts to close then the piston comes up to comp.it that is tdc.then the piston goes down then backup and then the exhaust valve starts to open to let the burnt air and fuel excape.

27. r600

r600

yes inlet opens lets fuel in the closes compression start at this stage boths valve closed as piston reaches tdc sparks forcing piston down???thats it(ps i know exhausts in there)

28. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

keep us informed on what you find out and what the problem was.like i said before im sure its something simple that is just getting looked over.

29. r600

r600

thanks opel i will let you know tomorrow cheers adrain

30. r600

r600

ok went back over today,was looking in a book and i had been setting timing at 0 degrees -my book said set at 8 degrees btdc did this and still no start-pulled all plugs out- all wet with fuel-put lighter in plug holes and boom ingnited the unburnt fuel now thinking carby float or needle,but i know when i am over my head so on the weekend i am getting my friend to look at it will let you know what he finds,cheers adrian