Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to do with my 48 ford pick up????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Apr 10, 2010.

1. So i am in denial about what to do with my 48 ford that my uncle gave me before he passed away. Its a 48 ford f-2 with a flatbed so its nothing of too much money value so i dont mind doing to much custom things. BUT it has the original flathead 6 in it... so im in denial of if i should keep that because it is original or throw in something big that i can roost the tires with like 409 or something.
    But what i had in mind originally was to make a cool flat bed for it, something that stands out, and throw some old milk cans that i have and throw like "lukes milk service" or "lukes garage" on it just for kicks. Then either lower it or raise the front a little and kinda make it a gasser truck i guess. Iv never seen it done before and thought it would be kinda cool. But it is an f2 so im not too concerned about making it "original"
    idk what would you do???

2. nitrozahn

nitrozahn

I think if I had a flatbed F2 I would find soe kind of diesel for it. Don't see a whole lot of diesel customs plus I just like diesels!

3. havi

havi

Is the flatbed original w/ Ford script on the back? If so, I'd consider keeping the flatbed and try to refurb it if possible. Or sell it, as they only made them for a few short years. Your F2 as a flatbed would also have running boards desired by panel truck guys and other flatbed folks. Nothing too special about the I6, unless it runs real well. With the bigger wheelwells, you already can stuff some bigger tires under the front, but if the front is raised, then the bigger wheelwells might seem "off". Your truck now, so the choice is yours.

4. yeah havi it has the script on the back but i didnt know it was original! but the bed isnt in too great of shape, the wood is definately weathered. and im not sure about the running board that are on it, they are big metal ones that really dont look original. ill put some pics up 2maro.

5. FrankCowan

FrankCowan

There are a few things to overcome with an F2 if your not gonig to keep it original... if the rims are split rim they probably need replaced, top speed is about 45 mph because of the timpkin rear, and parts are harder to find than the F1's.
    Cause it is a family truck If the flat head 6 ran I be tempted to keep it.

If you really want something different... find, or make, some speed parts for the flathead 6, replace the rear end with one from a pre '73 F250 (preferablly from auto trans geared 3.73), patch up the flat bed, clean up the 409 and put it on a cradle in the back of 'Uncle Fred's Speed Shop" shop truck. Then double cluch yourself to happeness.

6. see im stuck in the middle, here is how my uncle got it, there was an auction of three trucks, two 56 fords and this one 48 f2. So when he won the bid, he gave me the truck when i was like 10. I like the idea of throwing the 409 on the bed! that would be cool! and the thing about parts is it will be a pretty low budget project so i didnt know if finding the old parts to fit it would be more expensive.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I would just fix it up pretty much stock and use it as it was intended for when it was new. Haul stuff with it when you need to haul stuff. A more highway friendly rear end and some non split rim steelies off a later truck and it may not win races but it will be great for those Saturday morning trips to the wrecking yards. Or dress it up a bit and use it as an alternative car show rig.

8. yeah, but thats what i have my f250 for. lol and the closest track is 65 miles away so its not like im racing it too much, but if i had more stuff to haul that sounds really fun. one thing about making it stock is whoever had it before me must have had some kinda nutzo plan for the dash because it is all cut and fkd up.

9. So for all you who i left hangin, me and my brother are gonna start slowly turning it into a street rod/gasser. I took my brother to a show this weekend, saw a gasser that he loved, so we decided that that is what we wanted to go for.