Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hi from Australia

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 58ChevyBelair, Apr 8, 2010.

1. 58ChevyBelair

58ChevyBelair
    from Australia

Hi everyone from Australia, my name is Mitch I am 14 years old and I own a 1958 Chevrolet Belair in need of a restoration yeah I know this might sound strange to a lot of you because of my age.But my parents got it for me as a birthday/christmas present as my birthday is close to christmas but I did put money into it myself.

I'm hoping to get the Chev completed in a couple of years and join a rodders club.The plans are at this stage that it will be a rat rod but if the body work turns out well enough two tone turquoise and white powered by a 235 blue flame inline 6 either way.All I want is a nice cruiser.I will try to post some pics up here but they may not work as I've never tried.:confused:

2. I suggest you keep[ the words and thoughts of "rat rod" well away from this site.
    Can only assume a not so nice welcome otherwise.
    Do a bit of lurking/browsing here before posting and you will learn more.

Anyway, welcome to the HAMB from NZ.

3. G,day Mitch welcome,check out the 58 chev that won a few trophys at Bussellton rod run.

4. 58ChevyBelair

58ChevyBelair
    from Australia

Ok thanks for the tip LIFESTYLZ I've heard that traditional rodders don't like rat rods.

5. fat57

fat57

6. 58ChevyBelair

58ChevyBelair
    from Australia

I will probably go with the turquoise and white combo as it would match the interior nicely.But I'm not sure I'll see how it goes as I'm not even old enough to get a job yet only paper runs. I'm selling some of my more valuable things to buy parts I need for the Chevy.It's alright for now though as I'm just dissasembling and sanding it down so no big dollars getting lashed out yet but that time will come.

7. Welcome to the HAMB mate. I've heard about you, a mate of mine named Jackson who owns a '60 Chev was talking to you on Ozrodders and he told me about you / your car.

8. 58ChevyBelair

58ChevyBelair
    from Australia

Yeah I've been talking to Jackson on another forum.I had been searching through HAMB and saw that I could get some good advice on certain things so I decided to sign up plus theres quite a lot of people on here with 58's.On most Australian forums theres not many people 58 Chevs that can give sound advice on this model of car.

9. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Welcome & good luck with the Chev.

10. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Hi Mitch and welcome from Scotland.Good luck with your project.
    Mark.

11. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Welcome from a stone skip over the water away............ (Yeah, takes a strong arm).......

Dig the 58 Chevy's, Even the butt up star from American Graffiti...... Just something about those cool lines!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  12. Big Fat Daddy

Big Fat Daddy
    from California

Welcome from California!

13. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Welcome from Sweden

14. Welcome & kia ora from the Shaky Isles! I think it's cool that your folks support you in your hobby. What seems like centuries ago for me (1966), I had an eye (and the cash) for a '54 Studebaker coupe, but my folks wouldn't let me buy it - I was around your age at the time.

I'm sure you'll enjoy driving that '58. I suggest that you keep the ol' 235 under the bonnet and add a split exhaust+glasspacks and some other Old Skool accessories and go cruisin' once you're old enough to drive it.

15. 58ChevyBelair

58ChevyBelair
    from Australia

Yep I don't mind about power and speed just as long as it looks good and sounds respectable also cruising well on the highway so the 235 sounds good enough for me.

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Hi Mitch, Do a lot of reading here before you post too much. A very serious crowd with a lot of talent, but not a lot of patience. Read away and start gathering ideas. Sounds like a cool project. Welcome.

17. RDR

RDR

G'Day and welcome...bought my 49 Chevy when 15 years old with paper route $$$...six cyl Chevys work just fine to get you to school and start a lifelong love affair with real automobiles! Hope you have great times with your Belair....know about those Christmas/birthdays too...(12/7/43)

18. Welcome From Oregon! I'm Jon, I'll be 14 in June. I got a 1959 Ford F100 project (my second car) there needs to be more kids like us....good luck with your 58!

19. Gday bloke & welcome, it dosen't sound too strange. My nephew is 12 and has a very clean original '36 ute which came from Clifton. He's going Super Bell 3", 9", 302/ C4. Original taupe factory colour with righteous Halibrands and rubber rake.
    We had a '58 inline Chev like yours here in Adelaide in pale yellow/ white done in a mild bomb style ( low but not stupid- low). A beautiful 4 door, very straight, very clean & carefully done paint/ trim. 14" wheels, 2 1/2" whitewalls & Lancer caps.

Can't go too wrong leaving the body stock. Just add tube grille- Voila !

20. Deano55

Deano55

Check out my 55
    Blue Flame mild cam Fenton twin carb manifold, fenter split headers
    twin 2" exhaust redline straight thru mufflers
    Oh yeah thats my old mans '34 Ford Coupre ute in the background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTAx7AdyJE

[​IMG]

Good luck with the build up mate

21. Deano55

Deano55

Check out my 55
    Blue Flame mild cam Fenton twin carb manifold, fenter split headers
    twin 2" exhaust redline straight thru mufflers
    Oh yeah thats my old mans '34 Ford Coupe ute in the background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTAx7AdyJE

[​IMG]

Good luck with the build up mate

22. 58ChevyBelair

58ChevyBelair
    from Australia

That's a mean sounding 6 cylinder it sounds like a V8 when idling.Love your '55.

23. Ah, I thought you'd eventually come to your sences and join the HAMB. Haha
    I'm often lurking ozrodders or the hamb, So my post count remains low, but i know everything going on, Haha.
    Anyways, Jackson here, With the '60.
    Done anything to the 58 since we last spoke?

Jackson

24. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoy from NoWeConn., U.S.A. Good to see young guns getting into it!

25. big bad john

big bad john

...........Welcome from the U.S.A.

26. Welcome from Arkansas. Why not start a pre 18 social group? That way them old farts will leave ya alone...

27. Deu55

Deu55

welcome from brissy....Rod.

28. badgeree

badgeree

Welcome, from Australia's Mexican State. Jeez when I was 14, I had a push bike...and that was ahand-me-down girl's bike from the neighbours. Have fun with the 58.

29. Welcome from Connecticut U.S.A[​IMG]