Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modify 904 trans valvebody: Need info.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Havoc Bender, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Is there anyone here on the HAMB that knows how to modify the valvebody to full manual shifting in a TF904 auto-transm.

Found a shop that sells shiftkits that gives you full manual shifting,but I've sent them several e-mails to get the total cost with shipping and all,but they haven't responded in a month or so and now the short Swedish season is close and I really would like to get the car out in the spring instead of at the end of summer.

Any info on how to do this would help a lot

/ H.B.

2. 73RR

73RR

3. Thanks will check it out,call??? Not for the moment I'm in Sweden and it's way past bedtime here (half past 3 and dark as in hell when the flames have died out)

4. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

5. first the vavle bodies are the same 904 727.
    Secondly a modern valve body mod kit will not give you a reverse pattern which was the whole reason for doing the mode back in the day. The car will not go any faster becsue the valve body is full manual. However Transco is a good kit in fact some of the best. Gil Younger is the brains behind it.
    A Transco 3 will give you the manual operation. I use a Fairbanks kit in mine but they are no longer available. It shifts so hard I think the back window will fall out sometimes. A Transco II kit would be similar. OR a Cheetah valvebody full manual will drop et and give you the reversed pattern. All good kits restrict the apply circuit for the direct clutch (high gear) This allows the kickdown band (2nd gear) a chance to release and stops overlap in the 2-3 shift. This is the biggest single improvement. You can and i do make my own restrictors and install them. This gives an et improvement and also increases trans life dramatically.
    Search "Transco" for the kits. They come with the restrictor (even the quick kits do.) Maybe you want too many answers from that supplier you were talking to. If you want the kit just order it and have it shipped. The shipping cost is what it is. Nothing you, i or they can do about it.
    Don

6. 4406

from Oklahoma

Pro Trans in Lancaster Ca Hands down the best t/f guy, Just ask Ray Barton

7. Hi Don!

Thanks for Your reply,lots of good info there,it's not that important to get the reverse-pattern,what I'm looking for is to get rid of the need of the kickdown since it's a pain in the ass to get it to work on my car,so far these problems has cost me one transmission-overhaul after a couple of hundred miles of driving.

About answers and shipping-costs: I asked them if kickdown was needed with their kit and what the shipping cost would be for 2 kits and the answer was: No kickdown needed and shipping would be 175 usd with UPS,thats 10-15 usd more then the cost for the kits,so I asked them to check for an alternative way to ship,they replied that the cost would be approx. 100 dollars if shipped with USPS ,but they had to check and get back to me,thats the last thing I heard from them,despite the fact that I sent them a couple of email's a month apart politely asking if they have had the time to check it out so I should know how much money I'd pay them.

And YES I could order those kits and pay for them and the approx. shipping cost but since there's an ocean between Sweden and the US I feel the need of knowing what's going on,it's not like I can swing by there shop if there are any problems.

75 dollars lower shipping-cost is not that much money really but it's what I earn in a full day of work after tax. AND on top of that I have to pay a customs-fee of 12 % (kits and shipping)and on top of THAT theres a sales-tax of 25 % to pay on the kits+shipping-cost+custom-fees.
    And yes I am a cheap bastard...

Damn this got long,sorry.../ Hasse

8. I have a friend in Sweden. Ludvig Fahlgren. I forget where he lives but we are doing a trans rebuild online soon. He has a 383 66 Satelite. WE also did virtual porting a while back. Aside from the ocean here in Canada we have to ship everything in too. UPS has become for us far to expensive so we now use regular mail. The kickdown deal is not a big problem. On my slant 6 rail I uses a lawnmower throttle handle and cable to set the shift points from the kickdown or If i manual shift it just set it to full back position. Some guys just tie the kickdown lever back full to the rear. Running with it not hooked up will kill a regular trans but those two options above are an easy fix and work well. Hope that helps.
    Don
    Nothing wrong with being cheap. I am of German Schwaben heritage and we are the people who taught the Scotts and the Dutch how to be cheap!

9. 340Fish

340Fish

If you are running a column shift, it's nice to be up-shifting AWAY from reverse. Something to think about. TF's don't like hitting reverse at WOT :)

10. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

shit I just got rid of 2 valve bodys forward and rev forward only had 1100 ft on it 100 a piece I switched to a rev brake valve body

11. Been there done that,it's a rather light car so it just slides when that happens,makes almost as long black marks as a good burnout;)

Have to change my homebuilt "shifter" since it is a bit short between gears,it's hard to get it in right gear when there's only a tad over a 1/2 inch between gears and the horns are poking out in the forehead...