Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 Chevy sedan - power steering questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joegib, Apr 9, 2010.

1. joegib

joegib

I've got my 31 chev sedan running, few years now.. but its getting harder and harder to park it ! I've decided to put in power steering.. However, the chassis I started with had a steering box and motor mounts already done.. so I used them.. I'm not sure what my box is? if anyone can help.. I think its a Vega manual box... and it has 3 bolt mount pattern. I had the pitman arm made up to fit the box... steering works fine.. but its a bear to turn the wheels expecially when slow.. I'm running a 79 chev sb 305.
    I'm thinking that a gm 605 would fit... but I'm concerned about the clearance at the top of the box... you can see by the pics that the engine mount is only about 1/4" away.. I'd like some advice? first,,, can anyone identify what box I'm running now? and also what power steering box would fit that would mount up the same.. and clear the mount. I have plenty of room on all other sides... any help would be appreciated... thanks joeg

Attached Files:

2. ken1939

ken1939

You will probably need a new box mount.
    http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/

This use to be associated with Butch's Rod Shop. Course I am dating myself, I think he used this name back in the late 80's. They have suspension, brake, engine kits for just about everything. For example, he has a disc brake kit for 31 Chevy front ends.

I think he may have a mount and some solutions for your needs. I used his stuff on my 39 Chevy Business Coupe back in the day, had a 73 Nova Power Box with cross steering on the original straight axle. I have since gone to Chassis Engineering Bolt in Mustang with a rack. Easy to steer.
    The only issue at that time they didnt make block hugger headders to go around the steering box (yes its bigger)

Hope this helps a tad.

3. joegib

joegib

Ken, thanks for the info... I went to that site.. unfortunately he doesn't carry any steering parts any longer..
    You said I'd have to replace my box mount.. why is that? I'm trying to id my current box so that I can get a power steering box that would mount up to the same pattern. Did you recognize this box as something out of the ordinary? didn't quite understand why you said I would have to change the mounts... thanks joeg

4. hoop

hoop

Looks like a Saginaw manual box to me. 605 would be same bolt pattern may have to shim between box and mount. Hoses should clear by your pictures. 800 box is same pattern.May have different splines on input shaft.

5. joegib

joegib

hoop.. while searhing some of the catalog sites.. found that a Borgeson Universal power 800100 Saginaw 605 looks almost exactly like my box (except its a power steering box) so along with your comment.. I'm thinking that this may be the box I need for the conversion... I still need to do some homework however... thanks much for your comments... joeg

6. ken1939

ken1939

Only suggested changing the mount due to the size of the power steering box. And mabey its location in relationship to where the Vega is mounted. Wasnt getting a visual in my head of the box really bolting up that clean. I do know that the 77-80 Chevy Caprice Pitman arm works well in this conversion. Good size and fits the box nice. Works well with the Ford Tapered joint ends on the cross sterring arms.

7. F&J

F&J

jogib...I would buy your old box when you swap.. I am 20 minutes from Manchester. :) I am thinking it must be a vega?

8. maniac

maniac

From what I remember, the power box is a little longer, meaning you will have to shorten the steering shaft coming from the column, maybe an inch or 2, should fit OK otherwise, the steering hoses go in at the top of the box just below where the column hooks up.

I think an S-10 box is what you need

9. joegib

joegib

F&J... I'll certainly contact you when the conversion is completed... but I'm just planning the project now.. so it will be a little while... joeg

10. F&J

F&J

That's what I figured... I will be at Stafford Sat and Sunday; maybe I will find one there.

By the way, I used a 605 in a similar chassis 30 years ago. 30 DeSoto with twin leaf. SBC. I ran the box 100% horizontal and used the pitman arm it had. I bought the box at Stafford and the kid claimed it was the first series Firebird. It worked real nice and I am sure it will solve your problem.