Register now to get rid of these ads!

62' 390 Cadillac Firing Problems....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stutz, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Hey mechanical guys... I need to ask for help.

I acquired a 62' Cadillac Sedan and have been trying to get it fired. The engine is clean inside and the carb is clean and getting fuel. The Battery is Brand new and the terminals are connected solid. The Starter is getting juice and it turning fine. I did a complete tune-up( or so I think I did, I'm not as mechanically minded as I wish I was) Plugs, Plug Wires, Cap, Rotor, Points, Coil, Vacuum Advance and even pulled the distributor out to repair a ground wire? inside that had came loose. After all that it seems I have spark coming from the Coil but it isnt making it through the distributor. My question is
    1) what should my next step be to track down the problem.
    2) We set the gap to the spec from an old mantainence manual (which I don't have infront of me) could that be causing it if it is just to close/ not enough?
    3) Is there any Cadillac Specific things that I over looked that could be to blame.
    4) Thank you for any help.

[​IMG]

2. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Check your grounds
    Make sure you have your wiring order right (caddys spin opposite than SBC, ask me how I know!)
    I can check the points gap in my shop manual when I get home for you, I put in a Pertronix kit

Did youreplace the coil resistor?

Can't think of anything else off hand

post over at my website, lots of caddy knowledge there too

www.61-62cadillacs.com

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you had the dist. out start there. Line up tioming marks and see IF the points are open and where the rotor is pointing . Should point at #1 wire or the fifth cylinder in the firing order. If the coil is making a good hot spark the problem just about has to be in wiring/timing of the dist.

4. resistor I did not change. But I will after reading something about it "damaging the system in short order".

I will start with what you guys have described and work forwards from the coil. I have a feeling its the timing. Thank god we replaced everything we did because there was a couple hidden issues ( that free ground wire and even the coil was cracked). If yall think of anything else let me know. I very much appreciate the help.

Stutz

5. LordoftheDance

LordoftheDance
    from Fargo, ND

Although the 62 390 is slightly different from the 390 I had in my 60, I had a real problem with timing. I ended up advancing the timing to 10 degrees, car ran perfect after that. May not be anything related to your prob, but figured I would throw it out there.