Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cool Old Mack Pinstriping Swords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 390F100, Apr 7, 2010.

1. 390F100

390F100
    from Atlanta

For those into pinstriping, I inherited allot of old cool stuff from my grandfather who never threw anything away including hotrod mags and these really cool pinstriping swords. I am told they are from the 20's or 30's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

3. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Really neat!

Post some pix from the old Mags!

4. 390F100

390F100
    from Atlanta

I just found out why one is missing from my mom and she remembers my grandfathers workshop desk being pinstriped. She also remember him showing her the technique he used. I wish he was still around so he could show me.

5. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

WOW Mack has not changed much if at all over the years.
    Fritz

6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That is awesome!!!!

7. Nice old brushes!You may be able to date them by examining the card closely.Somewhere on the card there should be a printing date in small numbers such as," 6-40" or something like that.That will reveal when the card was printed.I have some early Mack Brush cards that are green and blue and date from the 40's.I even have one that has a Hillsdale MI address.According to Mike Fast;who has owned the company since 1961 Mack was never located there.The white card may be earlier.The brushes definitely have the early style handles.I have a bunch of brushes from the 1920's and they are very similar.

Attached Files:

8. pinstripebob

pinstripebob
    from Carmel, IN

Wow that's awesome!

9. I've never seen a display card like that for old brushes before. That's almost cooler than the brushes themselves. Did your grandfather also have a paint box or sign kit with any of his other old gear in it? "Cuz if he did we're going to need more pictures!:rolleyes:

That Double-Line Striper looks insane! I can barely manage to pull a single stripe with a regular, single striping brush!:mad:

Is this why stripers and signpainters tend to drink???:D

10. Nice. I bought a bunch of striping and lettering brushes from a guy a few years ago who said his Grandpa was a striper and sign painter in the early part of last century. They were well preserved on what looks like door glass from a 30's car. The brushes are in excellent shape. He got them from his Gramps after he passed...in 1957. I guess they really are old.

Mikey did it
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com

11. 390F100

390F100
    from Atlanta

I will definitely check the card more closely to see if I can find a date of some sort. I wish my granddad had his kit from back in the day and surprised he didn't still have it since he never got rid of anything. When I picked up my 1947 Indian Chief about 12 years ago it was missing the speedometer and when I called him to tell him I picked up the bike he told me he still had the speedo from his 1939 Indian Scout. NO WAY. Its on my bike now.

I'm going to pick up some brushes and some 1 shot this weekend to start my new striping hobby to do my truck but NOT going to use these brushes of course.

I will try to get scans of the cool old hotrod mags I have for you all.

12. I would not remove these, or use them, it is a historic item and I would mount it and frame it under glass.
    I know many here would disagree, but I would get a new brush and leave these alone.
    If you want to sell these please let it be known.

13. Congrats man, what a find, they are ancient, must be 20s or earlier

14. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

15. I would have to disagree.I would definitely preserve them but with proper care they can be used and appreciated.The old brushes I acquired took me nearly a week to clean and preserve as they had originally been used with brushing lacquer and some still remained in the hairs.Out of nearly 80 striping and lettering brushes,only 3 were too far gone to refurbish.
    I currently am using 3 of these for everyday use and they pull lines so much better than new brushes it is amazing.I use them for about a month and then rotate them with others.With proper care they will last a lifetime.

I had thought of asking if they were for sale but if they were my grandfather's I would NEVER part with them.JMO.

16. 390F100

390F100
    from Atlanta

ok, can't find a date on the packaging but it does say 'This is a "MACK" Sword striper of twenty-five years experience, and who knows how.'

If I do the math, MACK started in 1891 + 25 years would date these around 1916. COOL.

17. I'm sure Mike and Chris Fast(the owners of Mack Brush)would love to see a couple of pictures of your brushes and the card. Their address is:
    www.mackbrush.com

Thanks again for posting the pictures.

18. OhioRiv

OhioRiv

Very cool. I got about the same deal. A friend of mine's wife was looking through some stuff from her great grandfather, and found these old brushes. He gave them to me because he knew I would appreciate them. Apparently, he worked at a car manufacturer in Cleveland, his job was striping wheels.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      489.7 KB
      Views:
  19. Deadbird

Deadbird

Agreed. I'd love to have 'em (and I know a bunch of guys who would) but he'd be crazy to sell them. You just can't replace grandpa's brushes.

20. Old tools are always cool. Too bad they can't talk.

21. Very nice I say use em!

22. 390F100

390F100
    from Atlanta

I really cant bring myself to use them just really enjoy looking at them as they are and going to find a display for them.

I actually sent the pics to Chris Fast to check them out a few days ago and he shot me an email right back. Cool guy.

23. freakboy

freakboy

I think i fell in love with your brushes man! good score!

24. LOL! Don't worry. No one's going to hold you to that promise. :rolleyes:

Definitely get some new brushes to practice with. And most importantly learn how to properly clean, oil and store them. After you start gaining some confidence load one of these old boys up and take it for a spin! And then maybe use it to do some of the striping on your truck. I mean, you wouldn't want Grandpa thinking that his old brushes aren't good enough for you, would you??? ;)

Bought this old sign kit some years ago from a coworker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No stripers in it; apparently the original owner was more of a glass gilder. But there were several old quills and I've used a couple of them several times over the years. After all, they're tools.

Just make sure you treat them with the respect they deserve. :D

25. Nice looking old kit Claymart! Could you perhaps post a couple more pictures of it? I have a few old kits myself as well as a lot of vintage painting equipment and am always interested in seeing more.Is there any maker's name on the kit? Definitely looks like he did a bit of gilding.Are those quills Grumbachers or French? They look to be in excellent shape.

26. Bluefoot

Bluefoot

alsome,wish they where mine, go to a pic framer and have them framed spend the money on cool framing, then hang them in a great place so when you got company you really have something to be proud of and show, like i said damn wish they where mine

27. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

What a great little piece of history you have there!
    Earlier post is correct, with proper care these can still be lifelong tools.
    Of course they would also look awesome in a shadow box with maybe a really old One Shot label behind them!
    I love Grandpas who saved everything!