Register now to get rid of these ads!

New 97 Strombergs ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Apr 8, 2010.

1. I am looking to buy a pair of new 97 Strombergs who has the best ones on the market and where are they made.

Thanks
    Frenchy

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Stromberg-97.com

Made in England.

3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I would recommend becoming an Alliance Member and getting them from the Hot Rod Company. Great to do business with and free shipping! Can't beat that!

4. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

When you Buy them from Uncle Max, he will set them up with the jets you want.

5. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Get them from Uncle Max.
    They will be USA made.
    Lots of problems with the foreign made ones.

6. rawkinbones13

rawkinbones13
    from Mobile, Al

anyone have any details on the 9 super 7 carb that is out. Saw it advertised on Charlie Price's Vintage Speed website.

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's a pair of the English 97's. No problems! Bought mine from SoCal in Phoenix jetted and ready to bolt on

Attached Files:

8. rawkinbones13

rawkinbones13
    from Mobile, Al

Yeh, I have some original 97's that I haven't had any problems with mechanically. The only problem I have is the damn things leak. No matter what I try to do, I can't stop it, it's a casting issue, the best I can figure. It wouldn't bother me if it was just the carbs but it gets on my intake manifold, and it looks like junk. I like my engine compartment to look clean, as much as possible.

The speedy's carb seems like they've done some major improvements and I like the aluminum base too. What they advertise is, "newer technology, perfect castings" which to me translates into "no leaks"

9. Bert

Bert

Been told to steer clear of speedway ones although they look like they have been improved....but I went with the english ones bought from H & H in california when I was there.......havent fitted them yet but they look real nice, well made and hand assembled etc.....................Bert

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've got a pair of the english ones on the '38 Deluxe that used to be owned by Harrison. Before the car was parked for the winter they performed flawlessly and when the car was parked I just pulled the key and walked away. About 3 days ago I went out to start it up, pumped the accelerator a couple of times and it fired right up and idles smoothly. With no chokes hooked up I've started it a few times since by hitting the foot pedal a couple of times and it will settle into a nice smooth idle in about 10 seconds. I'm flat sold on the english ones and other than a Uncle Max or possibly a Jere Jobe rebuilt I won't waste my time with anyting else.

Frank

11. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thanks to all who replied on my thread. How much does Uncle Max charges for setting up a pair of the original 97 Strombergs.

Thanks
    Frenchy

12. alchemy

alchemy

PM him and get all the details straight from the horses mouth.

I can definitely vouch for his work and temperment. ;)

13. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thank You for you feedback

Frenchy

14. Nerner

Nerner
    from New Jersey

Here are Uncle Max's rebuilds. Great person to do business with.....Lou

15. Nerner

Nerner
    from New Jersey

I will never get this picture stuff right

Attached Files:

• 430.jpg
      430.jpg
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
  16. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

If you have original 97s and they are not leaking, something is wrong! (or so they say)

With time I've learn a few tricks. One thing, some people set the float too high --double check that you haven't done that, perhaps set it a little lower.

You can sand the high spots on the gasket surfaces when you rebuild/re-gasket them. Some fine sand paper on a flat surface like glass or steel plate, rub the carb upper, and use a sanding block on the carb middle.

Gaskets and seals dry up or shrink --replace every couple of years, especially if it's leaky.

Original 97s are plentiful, cheaper then new carbs, easy to rebuild, and they are very satisfying.

17. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thanks

The original 97 Strombergs I have on my Lincoln V12 are OK I just need to buy another pair of 97 from England for my next project. If I have any issues with the original ones I will contact Uncle Max. I have already sanded the top piece with 1200 sandpaper and I have no leaks other than the accelerator pump at the top where you have the small seal but that is probably normal.

Thanks
    Frenchy

18. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Frenchy32..Use two of the velt washers and set the float a little lower and they shouldn't leak..If you hit a bump the velt gets wet and can wick out just a little..
    If no other leaks, thats great..
    Duane.

19. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Strombergs97

Thanks for your feedback yep no leaks only where you had mentioned and because of the boucing around I will add another felt washer and adjust the float.

Frenchy

20. Can you guys clear up some things on the new Strombergs? There are 2 new 97's available right? The speedway and the English version? The Hot Rod Company sells the English version? Doesn't uncle maxx have the English ones or does he rebuild originals? Just curious thanks!

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

There is one new 97, it's the English one, the Speedway one is almost a 97

The Hot Rod Company sells the English version?[/QUOTE]

Yes they sell the 97, the English one. The good one.

Mostly original ones, but he'd probably do new ones if need be.

22. 8-Track

8-Track

I belive Uncle Max is the warranty service center for tha english stomberg 97s. The speedway 97s are junk out of the box i would not recomend purchasing from speedway motors.

23. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Hey Frenchy - I got my 97 from Uncle Max - he ran a special last year about the time everyone was heading to the salt flats.

24. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

uncle max heats, beats, jumps up & down on, walks away from - swearing, at the old ones, until they finally comply.
    uncle max sells new English carbs and parts.
    uncle max is the warranty guy - what little there is, for the new English carbs.
    www.stromberg-97.com

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  25. Cool, thanks for clearing it all up guys!

26. Well I just bought today a new pair of the english one from a friend I will be putting them on tomorrow and see if I can tell the difference

Thanks
    Frenchy

27. bobscogin

bobscogin

The difference compared to what?

Bob

28. I had some small issues with the original 97 where they would run out of fuel and starting to miss and not running evenly. I took them apart and resurface the top piece and adjusted the float and checked the jetting so I decided that I will have Uncle Max look at them and see what he finds as far as the problem than i will use them on my next project. Started up the motor today as the adjustment I made as per Uncle Max suggested it fired right up a bit more adjustment here and there runs great. The other question I have is I am running two of these Strombergs the main jets been 0.45 the power valve is 0.65 and I have no muffler straight out Lakeside exhaust should the jetting be smaller as it is a bit rich. Let me know

Thanks to all who have help me on this thread
    Frenchy