Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. edweird

edweird

POPS super stock from the early 80's

2. Falconred

Falconred

I can't read the article but I remember a George Jeffery or something similar who ran a Torino out of Oregon or somewhere in that area.

3. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

I think that you are thinking of Jefferson, the driver who finished 2nd, according to the article. I think that his father was the car owner and named George. A poster from that part of the country might be able to elaborate more.

Sorry that you can't read it. The wife managed to get it to post fullsize (at least on our screen) after another reader had trouble reading my earlier postings in thumbnail form. We're still not sure how she managed that (copy & drag), though. We had tried that before and it didn't work, then suddenly, it did. These old articles have been sitting around for about 40 years so they are not in the best shape. I'm lucky that they are still legible at all. Is everyone else having trouble reading them too?

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At a guess I would say they crashed:p.

Sorry, I had to do it.

Doc.

5. Falconred

Falconred

This is what the track does to those who don't pull over for the passing flag.

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Reminds me of a time when my son was flagging at a short track in the 80s. There was a wreck something like that down in the second turn, and while they were cleaning up he went out on the track to talk to a driver who had missed it.

This particular driver had something of a speech impediment, and when Matt asked him what happened, he pointed to the wad of cars and said, "Th...th...th...they c...c...crashed."

7. sixtyx

sixtyx

Hi Vegas Oldtimer,

You can create an account with Photobucket or Flickr. create photo albums there and then you can post on the Thread. When you post them you would use the icons in the tool bar at the top of the post. It looks like a post card with the arrow curling to the left.
    Good Luck

Bruce

8. allstarracing

allstarracing

9. dirt11353

dirt11353

wasn't tony johnson that mat was talking to was it

10. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

"You are right about Jefferson The father was George and the son was Harry. I think there was another son. Don't remember his name. They ran Fords and were from upper California. They won the Nascar West Coast Sportsman division and the Winston west once I think. Then I think they switched to Dodges. It seems I still remember a George Jeffery from Oregon that usually ran Portland that came down a couple of times with older Dodges."

I think the Jeffersons were from Washington State (Natchez maybe????) as was Jeffery. I"m waiting for one of the posters from that part of the country to confirm.

Were you able to read my article on the race (post # 2987 on P150)? There are references to several drivers that you had mentioned like Proctor and Hornaday. If my post didn't transmit well enough for you to read, then I'll probably have to give up on posting any more faded newspaper articles.

11. Falconred

Falconred

I was able to read all but the article on the 1973 Riverside Permatex race, for some reason all I get is a red X. Keep posting, thanks for the Donohue and Elder stuff. I'm not sure if I ever saw Elder run but I watched Donohue drive the Sunoco Camero's at Sebring 12 hours a couple of times as well as the stock car and CanAm.

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Dirt11353...

Uh, yep. Tony was a pretty good wheelman, by the way.

13. T. Scott

T. Scott

14. allstarracing

allstarracing

I was able to read some of them. I really liked racing agaist those guys. The competition was tough but it seemed it wasn't as much roothog or die as it was on the east coast. There were wrecks etc. and Saugus and Orange Show were tight with sheetmetal and paint swapped but not as much deleberate dumping and knocking out of the way when I was there. It was live to race another day. One who got that way for a while was Ivan "The Terible" Balwin. But after tearing up cars at a considerable rate and making a lot of drivers mad he eventually learned. He was a hellofa driver but had the attitude of get out of my way or get run over for awhile.Allstarracing

15. dirt11353

dirt11353

Tony was a blast i was around the last few years of the fairgrounds and then i helped a guy named Joe Williamson and his son joey on dirt for a few years till they started racing asphalt and then helped them there for a couple more years till i got tired of the bs that went on at louisville. after that i was working for Wayne Deasy at his parts store when he leased charlestown and i done some tech work there for a while.Tony was a customer at the parts store but he would never come up to charlestown to race and when he would come in the store i would yell hey hows andys boy and he would get aggravated and start stuttering and when it was all over we sit there with him laughing because he could not say a word i had him so fired up. never knew why he would only race at lms , him and wayne were freinds from way back as i understood it seen Tony a few years back at green river lake he had a big boat and a camper and seemed to be very happy with it

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Tony was a good friend, and so was Wayne. Both Matt and I liked Tony. Also Joe and Pat Williamson, along with Joey and their daughter.

You probably already know, but Joe was a highly-respected drag racer for several years before he started going around in circles. He had several NHRA National Event wins to his credit, mostly in Competition Eliminator.

17. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

"I was able to read all but the article on the 1973 Riverside Permatex race, for some reason all I get is a red X"

Beats me..........I posted all of them the same way. I get that red "X" on some of the stuff from other posters on this site. I'll keep posting as I find my old stuff here and there around the house. Those articles were in better condition than most of the others that I have. Never figured anyone (but myself) would be interested in them 40 years later so I never made any particular effort to keep them in good condition.

18. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

"One who got that way for a while was Ivan "The Terible" Balwin. But after tearing up cars at a considerable rate and making a lot of drivers mad he eventually learned. He was a hellofa driver but had the attitude of get out of my way or get run over for awhile.Allstarracing "

Yeah, I remember "Ivan the Terrible" Baldwin. He kind of dominated out at 605 Speedway one year in that 07 car and a lot of fans started to lose interest, judging by the crowds. Somtime in the late 70s he moved up to Modesto to join forces with Jack McCoy. Neither one of them accomplished very much after that "alliance".

19. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

"I was able to read some of them. I really liked racing agaist those guys. The competition was tough but it seemed it wasn't as much roothog or die as it was on the east coast. There were wrecks etc. and Saugus and Orange Show were tight with sheetmetal and paint swapped but not as much deleberate dumping and knocking out of the way when I was there. It was live to race another day."

However they drove, most were extra careful when they raced at Riverside. A serious mistake or lack of concentration at that track could often prove fatal. Joe Weatherly died on that track before I started to attend. I was there when AJ Foyt barrel-rolled his Ford about a dozen times at the end of the long backstraight before they put the dogleg in entering turn #9. He stated that he was VERY lucky to walk away from that one. I think that Billy Foster (the Canadian driver) died on that track too, but I'm not positive about that.....too long ago. We already talked about Bill Spencer dying after smacking the turn #6 wall in practice for a Sportsman race. A year or two after that, W. West driver Sonny Easley died after smacking the wall in almost the exact same spot practicing for a Cup race. In '71 or '72, David Pearson ran into the back of the #6 Olds driven by Jim Cook at the end of the back straight after misjudjing the closing rate. The Olds went into and over the turn #9 wall and Cook ended up in the hospital for months. The story going around was that Pearson felt really bad and called the hospital every day for weeks to see how Cook was progressing. When Jim Cook finally got out of the hospital, he had permanent brain damage.

20. ModelCarMan

ModelCarMan

Maybe they yell "TOYOTA PILE" and all they Chevys, Fords and Dodges pile on top of it???:D

21. dirt11353

dirt11353

yes Joe still had the trouble maker when i started helping with the dirt cars and i spent a lot of time at the williamson household for quite a few years and if any wife should ever be put in the ky racing hall of fame it should be Pat Williamson she has been there with Joe thru it all of course. Joe was elected to the hall of fame in the past year or so

22. lawman

lawman

I remember Joe as our paper boy in Shively,Ky on Rockford lane. Also ran
    a 55 or 56 Ford at the old Cedar Creek Drag strip in I think Bullitt co,Ky.
    First time I saw that Ford he had some kind of metal basket around the gas line to stop vapor lock. He is a good guy and drag racer. TOM ( Tired Old Man)

23. lawman

lawman

Forgot to say he had Ice in that basket !!!!!! TOM

24. dirt11353

dirt11353

yep he lived on cavilier drive for a long time heard he moved to the brooks area now have not talked to joe or joey for 10 yrs or more. joe still races at salem and a few other tracks around also heard he was building a drag car but not sure of the info i got

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

He did build a bracket racing car.

26. Dog427435

Dog427435

27. Dog427435

Dog427435

28. Dog427435

Dog427435

29. Dog427435

Dog427435