Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford toploader to SBC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Koz, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Koz

Koz

What's the hot setup for adapting a Ford toploader to a Small block Chevy? I know some of the dirt guys do this. I'd like to use readily available parts if possible, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. What do you use for a bell?

I'm using a Ford 3.03 three speed in back of a '69 350.

2. Drive Em

Drive Em

The easiest way is to use a scattershield. You will have to turn down the Ford bearing retainer O.D. to fit the Chevy bellhousing. One you do that, you can use a transfer punch to mark the holes in the bellhousing and drill and tap them. The part of the bearing retainer that the throwout bearing rides on will need to be turned down from 1.437" to 1.375" so you can use the Chevy throwout bearing. Get a pilot bearing that goes from the Chevy crank to the Ford pilot size (Speedway) and use a Ford splined clutch disc. That's it.

3. KEITHMAN

KEITHMAN

I remember back in the '70s, early Pro Stock, Lakewood made a scattershield that would put a toploader behind an SBC. GM didn't have a gearbox that would take the abuse of Pro Stock racing. Unfortunately I don't know if these bells are still available or produced. Never use done personally, being a bleed blue Ford guy.

Good Luck!! Have A Great Day!!!

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Somewhere in my stash is a Lakewood hydroformed scattershield that accomplishs this exact task. Ford disc and pilot bearing adaptor is all that is required to do the swap. the differences in the depth of the shield to accomodate the longer ford input shaft is built right into the bellhousing.

Frank

5. Went through this putting the same 3 speed behind the 327 in the coupe. A early 80's jeep bellhousing from a CJ with the iron duke 4 cyl. (GM motor side / Tremec or Ford pattern trans side) is a bolt in. You can also put the top shifter from a CJ 3 speed (76-79? if I remember correctly) on the 3.03 to move the shifter forward and centered. Winds up positioned more like a '39 toploader. Kajun Jon has a lot of parts for the 3.03., gaskets, bearings, syncros, etc. Gears are a different story. Holler if you need any more info.

http://www.kajunjon.com/Top_Loaders.htm

6. Koz

Koz

This is exactly what I'm up to. I've sourced most of the parts through the HAMB and have the trans ready to go. I'll probably use the Quicktime Chevy bell and turn the retainer to match. The Jeep bell sounds like the ideal solution if I could locate one. There are some Jeep sources on another thread I've been running here. I'll give them a call and check availability.

As usual, thanks HAMB guys for the best info!

7. chubbie

chubbie

what is the depth difference of the input shaft of the chevy vs. ford?? I have a BOP bell, I'm hopeing to bolt up an '70's ford trans to my 455 olds. I have the trans bolted to the bell, bought the speedway pilot bushing, and have a few used clutch parts to mock up a workable clutch.

I hope this doesn't look like a hijack:D

8. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

I've got one of those Lakewood bellhousings to use a toploader on a chevy block that I do not need, PM me if interested.

9. Koz

Koz

I'm going to try to use the Quicktime bell if possible. They are considerably smaller than a scattershield or even a regular bell. If I can get this to work I'll have a very compact setup that will suck up as little footroom as I can. Plus the "coolness" factor will be through the roof. As per Drive Em's post I will turn the bearing retainer to do the job. Somehow I can never bring myself to do anything without "reinventing the wheel". And then if I totally trash about 500 bucks worth of parts then I'll do it right.

10. fitzee

fitzee

Some great info.I`ll keep this in mind.I too am doing the same setup

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Is there enough meat on your average Chevy bell to do that? It happens I just picked up a Pontiac "Dearborn" 3-speed to put behind a Chevy. It's a Ford 3.03 but it already has the GM bearing retainer, input shaft, and tail housing. I'd like to use it to replace a Muncie.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  12. sunbeam

sunbeam

The Lakewood number is 15060 but availability is questionable.

13. 'Advance Adapters' makes an aluminum bellhousing for this swap. Commonly used for slipping a SBC into a Jeep with a T175 or T176, the top shift versions of the Ford 3 and 4 speed toploaders. No machining needed.

Steve