Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone use an Essex,or other oddball frame under their Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by STUKA, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Yes, I agree. With the amount of vintage restorations and recreations going on these days that Essex might be some good trading fodder to the right person.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd be one of them if it was close by!:D Please post a photo of it once you get it. I sold the only one I had back in 1986.:eek:

3. STUKA

STUKA

Will do..Going to pick it up Tuesday evening!

4. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yes, I understand. Thank you for the clarification though.:)

5. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Dodge and Chevy frames can make a nice looking car. Don't forget a TT (Model T truck) can also be used and the price should be way down!

6. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

wasn't Isky's motor an Overhead? and flathead makes more torque than an olds motor.

This could be a cool build unchopped narraowed body parallell leafs, a quickie and some dirt track tires.

I can think of a dozen or so lakes cars that had other than Ford (OTF) Frames.

7. STUKA

STUKA

So I got the Essex frame..Pics forthcoming..Its stout as all fuck,the width is perfect,IF I wanted a hiboy,length is gonna be perfect once I hack 10" or so off the front.Its 3/16 thick,so I think itll be more than sufficient for the 330 Olds.Modifieds,dirt trackers,and restorers be damned,Im chopping the shit out of it and using it for my 30-31.Put THAT in yer book!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm asking for first refusal on the front frame hornes. :D

9. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Put me next in line, that's the coolest part of the frame.

10. STUKA

STUKA

here are pics..ill be using some of the front horns to make it look like a real frame,but what I dont use someone can certainly have..Rear horns have to go as well..mind you,my body is mocked together and looks like shit,so please dont judge too harshly!! (A roof is on its way)

11. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

A real frame? so are you implying that an essex frame isn't "real" ? I see with your setup that they are a tad long and at the ride height I assume you'll be at they'll probably catch speed bumps So I'm sure that I or the 37 kid would be glad to trade you some model A horns for the essex horns just passed your tubular crossmember.

12. Ramblur

Ramblur

Oh the horror! Here's a couple-o-pics of my 30 coupe.The Essex frame
    works perfectly.:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. STUKA

STUKA

I guess I thought this was a place for Hot Rods,not Concours restorations.If you guys have such a problem with me modifying MY frame,here's a suggestion..Get in your car,drive to to Portland,and give me a frame that you think is suitable.Then you can do whatever you like with the stupid Essex frame.
    Better yet,bring me an Essex body,and Ill restore the fucker and be all POOTY-POO.I am using what I found on the cheap.If someone wants to buy it,thats just fine 'n dandy,but you'll have to pay the shipping.No takers? Exactly what I thought.

Seriously,all I wanted to know was "HAS ANYONE USED AN ESSEX,OR OTHER ODDBALL FRAME UNDER THEIR MODEL A".

14. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I'll take it... how much do you want for it? I just asked if you'd sell me the framehorns.

15. looking wicked awesome! glad you are putting the top back on. Another Coupe get's it's roof back!

and cut that frame to make it fit. everyone that gets rodded, makes the stockers more valuable. Ramblur should be thanking you.

16. STUKA

STUKA

I really think this is more of a PM type of thing..But..Like I said Ill GIVE the frame horns to 37 Kid,since HE was 1st to ask,after Im done cutting what I dont need.I dont think its very cool of you to try to get the rat's advantage over someone like that,but hey,whatever.Commiting to buying a crusty old pitted frame sight unseen like that is a pretty bold statement,friend.I really dont envision you driving all the way up here to get it,or paying for shipping..But if you really want it,Id be happy to take your money.PM me.

17. STUKA

STUKA

I thought so..Thanks! The roof pieces might get paid for with the big money the frame is worth:eek:

18. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Indeed! Here is another "famous" car that used one (pretty sure, anyway). Gary

Attached Files:

20. towaholic

towaholic
    from Rogers, mn

Yep, I used one under a tudor, shortened the front and rear kicked up the back, used a for link and a 9in. model a front leaf and droped ford front axle with split bones.

21. Any chance of some shots of the bare frame before it gets sliced & diced

thanks

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

X2 Some shots of the kickup would be great. :)