Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac 429 questions.????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choncho, Apr 6, 2010.

1. choncho

choncho
    from temecula

Just picked up a 65 fleetwood. Pulled the engine to rebuild it. Noticed on Backside of rod bearings it has .010 US. Does this mean the bearings are 10 over? Also does anyone know where i can find new hardware(head bolts, rod bolts/nuts, Main cap bolts)?

2. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Most of the stuff out there is for the 472 500 engine family. Speedway has one or two things for the 429, I think. I am drawing a blank but there is an engine parts company that has parts for a lot of older/obscure engine families.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It mean the bearings are .010 UNDERSIZE......the bearing journals are turned smaller

Check with Egge in California.......they have a website and offer virtually all rebuild items.........however, unless your hardware is damaged in some manner, or you are planning to build some really high output engine, I don't see a problem in reusing the head, main, rod bolts etc. The exception to that would be if the Cadillac Factory Service Manual says they should be replaced. If so, ARP makes about every fastener imaginable.

Ray

4. choncho

choncho
    from temecula

yeah I was thinkin of reusing the hardware but wasnt sure. ARP didnt have anything for 429. I found pretty much everything for the engine except hardware. Any other thoughts from anyone on reusing hardware? I'm just goin with a stock cruiser, dont think a 65 fleetwood is much of a racecar.

5. 66deezntsz

66deezntsz
    from Sacramento

I have a 66 sedan deville hardtop and just moved to sun city. I had the motor fully rebuilt and used some new hardware from store but most is sandblasted and reused on outer stuff. I have a spare motor and parts if you need anything let me know I can see what I got. DJ

6. r8odecay

r8odecay

What store? Sure hope you didn't use Lowe's hardware bolts on the heads rods and mains....

7. Blown 26

Blown 26

I just finished a 429 rebuild for a customer. I searched everywhere and didn't come up with much. The parts are expensive compared to chevy, but good luck

8. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

egge has lots of stuff for the Cadillac engines. might have to call don't know if they show 429 parts on line. if they don't have it they can tell you who does.

9. Be sure to check the oil pump. They are notorious for wearing with resulting low oil pressure.

10. choncho

choncho
    from temecula

sounds good. I think I have everything for the engine. Found rebuild kit at flatlanderracing.com for $960. Also found new water pump somewhere online for about $35. Just no hardware kits. Stuff is expensive and hard to find for 429, at least I got the car for a good price. Also, how do I tell the year of the engine? Ive seen kits are different for 64/65 to 66 and 67.