Register now to get rid of these ads!

ANYONE SWAP A FORD 312 WITH a LINCOLN 430?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Dec 26, 2009.

1. I think if he was going to use a 368 he'd be just as well off to build the 312. I'm just sayin' ..

2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I had a 500 inch stroker 430 with six deuces that I couldn't even sell cheap. I was practically giving it away. Everyone is afraid of them for whatever reason. I had a few projects that I tinkered with but now it's going into a 57 fairlane convertible this week. It was a 312 car. I'll let you know what I run into with it. I had an Algon injected 430 in an altered wheelbase 57 a few years ago but I didn't do it so I can't tell you what all was involved and I don't have any pictures of the installation. The current installation is all me since I have goofy work hours and live far away from everyone. I'm going to be running a toploader behind the engine as soon as I find an actual transmission.

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

But to be honest, unclescooby, you forgot to send me pics as requested!:D

4. Hey Scoob,,,you go man,,,you go. Let me know how it works out. My 56,,,way back when,,,screamed. It out ran the brakes very quickly, but damn would it haul ass.

5. droppedstepside

droppedstepside
    from new jersey

I would say go for the swap, nothing better than a big motor with a lot torque to move around a big car with a lot of weight. Had a friend years a go with a 430 in a 57 ford. With a four speed and 4:10 gears, car ran very good for the time ( 12.95 in the 1/4 ). Also the swap was very straight foward, nothing tha average backyard hot rodder can't handle. One more thing that 1/4 mile pass was on slicks with open headers.

6. uc4me

uc4me

do it up, I recently acquired a 430 MEL from a 61 continental, I am thinking about dropping it in my 55 f-100 but the 429 that is in there runs well and its already there so I am not sure if I feel like doing the swap. but the MEL is WAAYYY cooler than the 429 ever thought of being

7. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Haven't any advice other than, "get after it!"

I'm hoping to build a friend's Lincoln 430 to use in my '34... someday. :rolleyes: I love different mills,especially ones with big, hairy nuts! Hahaha!

...and everybody likes pictures, don't they?

Attached Files:

8. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

I almost swapped out my MEL 462 (same as the 430) for a '70 460 due to ease of part availability, but when I found you can get tri power I was all in. Brian Estrada (he is on this forum) had some cams made and I bought one and has a few other neat items to help make the engine look a lot cooler! Mooneyes just used the original castings from 1958-60 or so remanufacture the finned mooneyes valve covers. They still had them so one smart guy on the MEL site asked them to make them again. They just finished them up this week and there are only 30 sets. I believe if you hurry you can still grab a pair but ACT FAST! I just came across this post through google looking for something or I would have mentioned it sooner.

Try the MEL 462 engines if you have a hard time finding the 430s. Same motor, everything is interchangeable and it has 340hp, 485 ft.lbs. of torque. I am putting the Super Marauder tri power on the 1966 462 but you need 430 heads so the intake ports match. Not hard to find at all! Good luck and do the swap! I actually know a guy who put the 462 into a 1988 Isuzu Mighty Max! These are unique motors and no one ever knows what it is when they look at it!

The other good thing is you can run a C6 trans. With the 430s they used the C4. You can always adapt something else but the C6 is strong, but it must be a 66-early 68 only C6. Not hard to find, I have several! But you need to upgrade to a FE or any other style C6 tailshaft as the Lincolns used a 3 spline slugish thing for smoother shifting. You would tear it up if you had over 400hp! But thats an easy fix.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I say be different run it!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Don't put a 312 in your Lincoln, it's going to be really slow if you do!

Oh... Wait... :D

Seriously, though, my dad had a friend in the 1960s with a 430-powered '56 Crown Victoria. Pink and white with a green glass top. He said it could really move, although the gas gauge went down almost as fast as the speedometer needle went up.

I think he also mentioned hood clearance problems, but I don't recallexactly, as it's been a while since we've talked about that car.

-Dave

11. I.ve seen this done back in the 60,s a very fast car for the time here is a pic.

Attached Files:

12. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

I put a '58 merc 430 in my '54 ford two door granny car it was awesome. I used a bellhousing from a '70 FE mustang with a toploader 4 spd and a 57 9inch rear, the install was not that hard at all.

13. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

A Little motivation for you...I'd go for it. Cams, intakes, dress up stuff etc are still around. Those wicked '58 Super Marauder air cleaners for the holley 2300s (an option if you run tri power) are neat...run about $2,500 beat up but you don't need one. Best of luck again and keep us posted on what you plans are. If you are looking for intakes, there is also the Edelbrock L-300 along with the Super Marauder one shown.

Attached Files:

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I love that!!! :cool:

15. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

16. T-Faust

T-Faust

For what it is worth, way back at the beginning of time, I knew a guy with a Lincoln in his '56 Ford. I saw it and it still had Lincoln valve covers,etc. He said it was a 430, but I couldn't swear to it.

17. T-Faust

T-Faust

Since someone above mentioned the Super Marauder. My father had one in a '57/58 Mercury (I forget if that car had 2 headlights, or 4, it was a black convertible). I was just old enough to understand there were a lot of carburetors and a great air cleaner. I have mentioned this to people who have swore I was making it up. I am glad there are other people who remember it. I Googled it about a year ago when it finally showed up. Previous searches had yielded nothing. I found that it was a "dealer installed" option.

18. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

Its the most rare tri power out there but I know someone with the entire set up. Air cleaner, carbs, intake, fuel pump, probably the valve covers too. He found it in a car at the junk yard! Soooo he wanys $9,000 for the whole thing. I think they really go for $3,500 realistically with air cleaner and carbs. The Lincoln air cleaner had no script on it and if you have that its worth the $9,000! I think there was less that or around 100 ever ordered in 1958. I've got the original intake but that's it. Good enough for me that cost me a pretty penny with incorrect Holley 2300s. There's one in western PA but the location is unknown and a friend has been trying to buy it for decades! The original owners son will not sell the car and its rotting in a barn! Oh well. Really neat story about the Super Marauder if you look it up. Bill Stoppe designed it and built it we think using Moon Eyes for casting the intakes. One friend found the Moon on the bottom of his. Mine has nothing on it but he was from that area. Someone is repoping the air cleaner...for $3,000! The linocln one that is. One of the old car traders did a story on it last year.

19. T-Faust

T-Faust

It must be at least a year ago; but when I did a search on the Super Marauder, an article linked to an ad for a manifold. $300 is what I recall.

20. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

Not bad for $300 for any tri power alum. intake! There is the Edelbrock L-300 as well which was the same as the Super Marauder. They are a little more available and chaper. Recently people want $500 for them. 3 and 4 bolt carb pads were made for the L-300. The guy above I mentioned with the $9,000 set up has an L-300 with Holley carbs for $700. I can find his info in my emails; let me know if you are interested...sorry to get off topic!

I'd go with a 430/462 anyday! They are different and no one knows what they are when they see them! More than enough stock power and there are some parts out there for more pep. Moon valve covers too for dress up.

21. The_Stig

The_Stig

Not so fast! Stop that lathe for a minute. The originals were 10:5 to 1 and were only factory installed for a few months, due to poor 1958 fuel quality, depending from where. As time passes, it's ever less likely to find originals. In which case, I'd go at least 11 to 1 like what was offered on muscle cars back then.
    With all due respect, 400 hp, back then, was remarkable. Too bad Ford had to kill the 430, altogether. They could have put it back into production, once the Holley Spreadbore became available.
    Still, despite the massive bearing journals, I can't figure out where all that weight comes from. You know, from those 750 some pounds, the engine has to use some of those 400 horses to move its own weight, not to mention, dropping off even more for Ford's slushbox. In fact, considerably more than to power a THM 400:

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2004/12/01/hmn_feature13.html

22. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Go for it! Hell, if you left the 312 in it you would be different. Nothing better than having a bunch of "car guys" leaning over the hood scratchin' their heads.

23. Normbc9

Normbc9

I saw it using the Y block 332's 340's 360's and 430's. All were truly impressive performers. Our local police agency used Mercury Turnpike Cruisers in a Special Pursuit version and called them "Freeway Flyers." Fly they did! Good engines once a few head issues were dealt with after market. The ones I saw were using either a triple deuce or dual quad carburetion setup.
    Normbc9