Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flatheads in a barn: need help to identify

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tombat, Apr 4, 2010.

1. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I think I can help...
    The B head has a 3 bolt water pump the A has 4
    If you look you can see a hole in the side of a block where the fuel pump was
    A B block has no oil drain tube on the side
    The side valve cover is bigger on the B
    The exhaust manifold exits at 45 on a B and the A exit down

2. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

If that is a 36, yes it has aluminum heads. BAD short lived idea from Ford. They had a habit of seizing to the cast block. You had to bust them off in pieces. My Dad had lots of problems with his 36 heads, and after busting a few off, he replaced them with cast units and never had a problem after that. (this was in the late 30s-late 40s when he owned the car).

3. Wicked_Fairlane

Wicked_Fairlane

you beat me to the punch on the aluminum head deal

4. 1952henry

1952henry

No, US-6 is the model number. I only am a stickler for the fact that if he decides to peddle it, knowing what he is selling will be helpful. Swing out windshields were standard on all full cab WW2 vehicles. Another nifty little feature is the oil can bracket on the firewall, could even have the can. They were used for oiling the waterpump and distributer. It should have a data plate on the dash indicating its date of delivery. A friend has 2 of these, one that he cut down to 4wd. He could retire if he was paid a dollar for every moron who says, "Nice Power Wagon!":) He broke in the freshly overhauled Herc by hauling his 4 ton Cletrac over the Continental Divide during his move to Oregon. He has a couple of different exhaust manifolds for the engines. One says Studebaker and one says Hercules.

Of the three manufactures of WW2 2.5 tons, the Studebaker US-6 reigns over the GMC CCKW for a couple of reasons 1) 320" vs. 270" engines 2)the frames were much thicker over the front axle and up to the bumper.
    The IHC M5-6 kind of shames both of them with a Red Diamond 361, and a straight frame that neither curves or tapers from front to back. The rears are leaf sprung Hendrickson walking beams with Thornton locking differentials in both rear axles.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

OK! Here's where I read it. Apparently from someone that witnessed it.

6. Exactly. I don't think it's a B, I KNOW it's a B

7. olskool34

olskool34

Ok, your eyes are better than mine, I did not notice that stuff. Would be nice to find a B around here.

8. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

1952henry is correct in the "US 6" model designation.
    The cabs look similar?

Those big boys are awesome trucks.
    Didn't the Russians copy them as "DAGS?"

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Not all 32-34 Bs have the counter-balanced crankshaft. That is a 34 feature.

10. James Curl

James Curl

If I remember right the front head mounted waterpumps were only used from 32 to 34, then they went to the front block mounted pumps in 35.

11. if you wined up with them i would take one of the 21 stud engines if you dont mind.

12. 1952henry

1952henry

Close, 36 was the last head-mounted pump. The 37 engines had front-mounted pumps. The 1937 replacement engines for pre-37 cars had special cast iron block off plates over the water pump holes in the front of the block, and head-mounted water pumps. It would have 67 (I think I have the right number) on the bell.

13. V4

V4

The B has a 1932 intake and exhaust manifold. And 32 style 'anti-chatter' rod mounts. So I assume it is a 32 engine.

The V8 without oilpan is probably 1937. The other is probably 34, 35, or 36.

14. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

I know Tombat but I'm not telling. Us vintage bikers have to stick together. You just need to come up with some old Triumph stuff to get the info of where the B motor is. The other part of the legend is the farmer buried a '32 3 window along with the Harley.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  15. I had old Triumph parts, even some 1915 Henderson stuff...just no HD shit ;)

16. From what I've heard (and we know how that goes), 33's had the press and pinned counterweights and 34's had the one piece counterbalanced cranks. I have a pinned weight crank in my A coupe

17. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

I would probably trade Triumph OR Henderson OR Indian OR BSA stuff and even maybe HD stuff for any old car crap I find! Tell you what Chris, I'd trade you straight across for a 15 Henderson engine any day! I'm not necessarily a HD guy, mostly just old motorcycles in general. Bob knows.
    Tombat

18. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

Hi Bob,
    Jim stopped by the shop a couple days ago, I'm doing a little project for him in the next couple of weeks when I can squeeze it in. In addition to that HD solo seat I found in the old shop (the pic earlier in this thread) I also found a motorcycle blackout headlamp. I think the bike that this old timer had was a WLA 45. Do you know details on military HD 45's? The seat pan is the vented type and the leather as you can see was always tan, not black. I don't know if civilian HD's had natural tan leather or was it dyed black? When did the solo pans come out vented, was it by 39 or 40?
    Tombat

19. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Hey Mike, I'll stop by the shop and we can talk about this before someone says to go to the Jockey Journal. Bob

20. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

UPDATE: Picked up the engines yesterday (Saturday) despite a nasty head cold.. Nostalgic Dave took care of jalopy-photo-journalism, maybe he can get some pics uploaded soon. Ended up getting all three ( two v8s and the model b banger) for $100.00 and a couple hours labor to get them. I haven't had time to clean them off or find any casting numbers yet. Will do that when I get time.
    Tombat

21. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

Here's Nostalgic Dave's photo of the pirates bounty

[​IMG]

total:
    2 prewar 21 stud v8s
    1 model b banger
    1 artillery wheel
    1 model A spoke wheel
    1 old oak creeper

A good day with a bit of heavy lifting.
    Tombat

22. Spooky

Spooky

Man I really want an old oak creeper....