Register now to get rid of these ads!

rattlecan flake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rev616, Apr 6, 2010.

1. rev616

rev616

has anyone ever seen or used this stuff?

Attached Files:

2. never seen it. never used it. But what experience I have of metal flake in a can is it is REALLY hard to get it to lay even.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Ever try warming the can up in hot water first????

4. me or him?

5. DON'T DO THIS!

A friend of mine's father almost lost an eye when the cap blew off and hit him in the face. It almost went through his cheek and he has a nice scar to show for it.

6. eek! :eek:

7. knotheads

knotheads

in high school,i think i painted my dash with every color flake that cal custom offered. i used to repaint that dash every few weeks.

8. Deuces

Deuces

I never had that problem...... You can also warm up the can in the sun for a few hours before you spray.......

9. Muttley

Muttley

Yes, definitely do not do that. I set one in hot water once and the can nearly exploded, there was a couple butt puckering moments until I could get it in the trash can. I was afraid it was going to explode all over the kitchen...........would have been real messy and possibly even more painful.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Check out my guitar in my sig. Craft store spray glitter. Easy to do.

11. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

12. What I painted my guitar with before I sold it.:D

[​IMG]

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, where did you gents find the paint cans in pics posted?

14. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

you dont have to boil it....just warm it up a little....did it all the time in my model car and bicycle building days....

15. voodoochili

voodoochili

I have never seen that brand of flake. I have used the sunbusrt flake that seymour paints used to make. No real problems. It did take 2 cans of clear to cover it up though. Use WARM water not hot water, that's an old bicycle paint trick. It make the paint atomize finer. Good luck.

16. Mine? e*ay....."Loooong aaagoooo, and oh so far awaaaaaay" as Karen Carpenter used to sing.

17. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I have used the metal flake spray paints. I found that the trick to getting even flake is to lay down 1 regular coat, then for the second coat, spray across the surface - holding the can almost vertical.

18. skull

skull

seen some metal flake spray paint made by dupi-color and krylon at schucks/o'riellys today. they had about 6-7 colors.

later

19. T. Scott

T. Scott

hahahahahahahaha its dang-rous for sure but love the warnings that were posted here as far as the paint goes it isnt going to take long before it clogs up your best bet is the sun on a car were it can warm up naturaly and slowly ..... great comments though!!

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Agreed, I've been doing it for years.

21. prttyplymouthgal

prttyplymouthgal

I need this!!!!!!!! :D

22. OK, now that we established not to boil the cans, lets get to the " WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU GET IT?" question. I was also using the Seymour stuff that is now not being produced. Anyone have any pertinent information on a possible purchase site! Thank you.-MIKE:eek::D

23. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

No shit - I may be able to use this

24. Kerry67

Kerry67

Right....I am sucker for flake. Flake a popsickle stick and I'll think it's cool. I'd like to know where to get it as well.

25. Rain_man

Rain_man

i know autozone has some cheap stuff not sure about how good it works never tryed but did just look at it the other day. i think they had like maybe 3 or 4 different ones.

26. I used some of the clear stuff from the auto parts store recently. Every auto parts store here has it. I was spraying bicycle parts. The flakes were small. They looked good over black paint, but the effect was not very strong over white paint.

27. Zombie Plymouth

Zombie Plymouth

I think you are reffering to the duplicolor metal specks, I did the roof on my 55 with it, I gotta say I am pretty happy with the way it came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

The Metal specs from autozone it more like a "heavy" metallic, nothing near the flake size you get with a true flake

29. Zombie Plymouth

Zombie Plymouth

Agreed... Wasn't my first choice either, but not that bad of an alternative when you dont have the equipment or the money required and just wanna do something yourself.

30. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

very true, and it sprays real nice is you let it warm up in a sink full of warm water :p