Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Woodward Dream Cruise on Google Street View!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yellowrr, Apr 6, 2010.

1. A friend of mine just sent me this link...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/30/google-maps-gets-down-with-the-woodward-dream-cruise

A little bit OT, but apparently if you do a Google Map search for "Woodward Avenue, Detroit Michigan" and then do the "Street View" (by dragging the little yellow guy from near the "zoom in/out" buttons to the street that you want to look at) it'll display the cars & trucks that were part of the annual Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise (OT because most of them were muscle cars and (gasp!) street rods).

I knocked around "9 Mile Road" all the way up to "14 Mile Road" and saw some pretty interesting stuff, BUT also noticed that the only time that you got to see the cool old cars was when you were in the middle of an intersection. You can click and drag inside the resulting photo to pan around, and zoom in & out, but clicking the little arrows on the yellow street name / line advances you down the street and the cars & trucks go away. Mess with it for a little while and you'll see what I mean.

Here are 2 screen shots. One is at the intersection of Woodward Avenue and Parker, and the next is one "click" further down the street. You must be at an intersection to see the hot rods!

Attached Files:

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Trust me, during the Woodward Dream Cruise you do not need to be near an intersection to see the cars. In my opinion those photos were not taking during the Dream Cruz circus time frame rencently. No way. Maybe 6-8 years ago, maybe.

3. how do you do screen shots? always wondered that

4. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

during the cruise, you lots of time to look down side streets..it can take an hour to idle a car length or two..but its still a blast. my son and i have been going since the 1st one, he was 5, now hes 21....

5. Not 6-8 years ago with that 2010 Camaro in the picture. I'd say it was definitely last years event.

6. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

Looking at the link, the pictures were taken at different times. The ones at intersections were taken during an event and those between were taken some other time. Google has had some privacy issues with street view (mostly in other countries) so maybe they re-did the scan so they wouldn't have as many faces to deal with and forgot to update the intersection pictures. Your guess is as good as mine.

7. Never2low

Never2low

I've never seen that function on Gmaps! I googled my house, and drove right by:eek:. HA That's crazy, too bad my yard looked like shit:eek:

8. Man, that makes me feel old. It's hard to believe it's been going that long.

9. why were the headlights blurred out on the Cadillac, that is the first thing i noticed.

10. I'm thinking that they show you the "Dream Cruise" stuff at intersections since you aren't that close to the buildings, and then the plain vanilla "building" shots in case you were actually looking for a particular address and needed to see what the building actually looked like (without a bunch of people & old cars in the lot). These were definitely taken at 2 different dates & times.

Screen shots are easy! 2 ways to do them:

When I need a screen shot of ONE thing on the screen (like an error message box) I hold ALT + press PRT SCR (the ALTERNATE button + PRINT SCREEN button - it may be spelled differently on your keyboard).

If you want to capture the WHOLE screen, use CTRL + PRT SCR (CONTROL + PRINT SCREEN).

It saves the image to the clipboard. Open PAINT and press CTRL + V (or pull down the EDIT menu and select PASTE). You can use the tools in PAINT to crop out parts of the photo and then do a normal SAVE or SAVE AS and name it what you like. I also save it as a JPG and not a BMP to save space.

I remember it this way:
    ALT + PRT SCR for "Active" window and
    CTRL + PRT SCR for "Complete" windows

BUT don't try to do screen shots from a DVD on your computer. A DVD image is actually an "overlay" on your screen and it works differently. Some DVD viewing programs have a key combination for screen captures, but some don't.

Here are 2 examples. The ALT PRINT SCREEN version is JUST the "Active" window (to PRINT the Word document, for lack of a better example). The CTRL PRINT SCREEN version is the same view, but holding CTRL captured the WHOLE desktop.

As an aside, I'll also recommend a program (FREE download) that I have been using for about ten years now for modifying, resizing, cropping, applying visual effects, etc. for your photos... it's called Irfanview. I LOVE this program, but that's a whole other post! Google search for Irfanview and check it out.

Attached Files:

11. They've updated my street recently! Used to be when you did the "street view" of my house, the Bluesmobile was out in the front yard (white trash, I know :eek: but I was shuffling cars in the driveway, see...)

Now at least it's in the driveway! (Up on jackstands because I was changing the timing chain, pan gasket, oil pump, etc.)

Attached Files: