Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who used to cruise Hempstead Tpk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

I came across a post about hot rodders from Long Island and I thought I would throw this one out there. I used to cruise the "Pike" in the dying days of this tradition in the late 80s. In talking to some of the other guys I found out that Hempstead Turnpike was a big scene for many years before I was there. Lets hear some of the stories!

2. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

wow..this brings back memories.. it was the mid 70's for me.. hitting Burger King and running up and down the pike in the hotrod...good times...lol

3. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I was there and on 231 and Jack in the Box in Centereach in the early 70's into the 80's Hempstead died first then Centereach then 231. 231 still gets some action once in a while and so does Hempstead turnpike just further west great times back then never will be the same just like the Catskills in the 40's through early 60's

4. panic

panic

And turn North on Oak Street to make a high-speed run past the UPS depot - no lights, no intersections for a looong way.

5. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Well I hope cruising comes back to the Island because going to local "cruise" nights to park in a lot and walk around SUCKS!

6. Big Nick

Big Nick

I caught the tail end of that cruising down by Tri County in the early to mid 90s, the Mustang, Camarro, Vette days. I doubt you'll see cruising again out here. The traffic is just too much now days. i cant stand the Bellmore trainstation nights anymore either. I went 2 times last year and the second night we came in on bikes and the cops had the entire lot locked down just handing out tickets. Tuesday nights behind Tri County were ok last year but...

7. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

Used to cruise the pike 63-65 before I went in the service. Cops didn't bother us much as long as nobody got stupid. Lot's of light to light street racing back then. Was a fun time. Got back on the island in 69, still some good cruzin but it wasn't the same.

8. 6bblbird

6bblbird
    from New Jersey

Used to cruise Hemp. Tpke every Fri. and Sat. in the '70s. Bethpage Burger King was just crazy some nights. After things slowed down around midnight, we would sometimes migrate to 231 or go into Queens. Benson Burgers was where many So. Conduit street races were set up. Used to stay out until the sun came up every weekend!
    WF