Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worked on the 4-door merc today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cfnutcase, Mar 7, 2010.

1. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Well I bought this 49 merc 4-door that someone had pulled the front spindals, brakes, and steering parts off of, and they had pulled the rear end out of it. Now many years ago I had a 49 merc that I drove that I threw a rod in the engine in, and then traded to a budy, he cut the body off and put it on a lincoln floor pan/chassis, well turns out he still had the old frame and all from my old merc. So he gives me that part I brought it home and started to work on the mess today. As you can see I had a handy little jack beside it to use and just did the work with simple had tools out in the yard today, and now have all the parts off and ready to go under the other merc. Here are some pics. Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  2. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

You gotta love back yard engineering! Get er done man.

3. skoh73

skoh73

Yes! Saving another one! Please keep taking pics, I can't wait to see this progress.

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

to cool post some more redo photos ,

5. Logs? I like your style

6. That's a hell of a big bite your taking. Best of luck. I think we'll start seeing more 4-door Mercs hitting the mainstream as the 2-door supply dries up.

7. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

done yet? good on ya for saving even a four door.

8. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

Nothing wrong with a mordoor

9. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,cfnutcase; i had a buddy in Hi School in '60/'61,(Iowa) that had a '50 Merc Four Door ,,we put a '55 Olds motor and Hydro in it ,,lowered it ,,frenched the headlites ,,nosed n decked it ,,appleton spots ,,Olds Fiesta Flipper HubCaps ,,and drove the heck outa it ,,,
    More Door "Gangster Kars" are KQQL ,,DO IT TO IT !!!

10. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,i see you live in Branson ??i'm over here on Table Rock Lake in Lampe ,,just across the bridge from Kimberling City ,,

11. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

OK Finally got the car up on its feet, I blasted under hood area, and used por-15 on it, like the inner fenders and the frame. I stuck a set of old used tires on it, (it will not have white letters on it) just to hold air, ordered new rockers, and bought all new brake stuff for it. I put 2" blocks under the rear, and I bought a 64 buick 4-door for a parts car, I am going to jerk the nailhead out of it next week and put it infront of the 3 speed OD tranny in the merc. I also scored a near perfect set of bumpers for the car, then got a set of very nice seats from a buddy that is putting T-Bird interior in his merc. so I will have the new carpet in the car and the nice seats just need the headliner and door panels. The floors in the car are perfect so no work there. I also ordered wiring harness from rebel wire here on the HAMB so things are moving right along on the car, here are some pics from today! Jim

Attached Files:

12. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Hey give me a shout sometime, I have lots of junk....er I mean cool collectables, you are welcome to come over and have a look some time and shoot the shit! Jim 593-0885

13. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Jim; O K ,,,i'll give you a holler ,,i have sum junk too ,,,,

14. fieldofcars

fieldofcars

Good job there Jim. It looks really good!!

15. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Well the 49 merc 4-door is in the body shop, it is getting some wiring work done, getting the engine and trans put in, getting the bearclaw latches all the way around, hood corners rounded, nosed decked, shaved door handles, all bodywork, Interior, the works! Jim

P.S. dont worry the scoop is just on there as a joke by a buddy of mine, its not staying! LOL

Attached Files:

16. hvychvy

hvychvy

Sweeet,keep us updated!!

17. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Been doing a little to the merc, removed all the grill stuff, the pan the grill the headlights, park lights, the chrome from the car, started frenching the headlights, did away with the park lights, pulled the grill and the lower pan off the car and have started working on the 53 desoto grill setup to go in the car, also rounded the hood corners and nosed it while I was tinkering with the front, I started on the doors also, removed the chrome from them did the handle on the passenger front door, installed all the brear claw latches in the car, have all door fitting fantastic, have my 351 and auto trans sitting there waiting to go in the car, bought ne 50 pont taillights with bluedots to be frenched in the car since I have not had any real luck at getting a set of 49 or 50 lincoln taillights in decent shape or at a realistic price. Just recived new rockers from mercury land, fantastic rockers and fast shipping, really A+ rating from them! So this is next on my agenda, tomorow being saturday and me having no plans.....and since my car has no glass in it, no seats and no interior mouldings or anything else, (not a coincedinse) LOL I am going to be up at the shop measuring marking and bracing the car for its chop, hope to cut it up tuesday after work, will be 4" in the front and I am guessing 4.5" to 5.5" in the rear, not sure, just gonna cut till I get the look I want, I want it LOW, not overly chopped but I definatly want the car chopped! Anyways here it is now! Anyone in Springfield MO want to come watch, help, or just laugh feel free to drop me a line and I will give you directions to the shop, it is out by strafford on I-44. Jim

Attached Files:

18. Car is making rapid progress, keep taking pics!

19. hvychvy

hvychvy

Lookin great,keep it up,diggin the progress!!

20. skoh73

skoh73

Love the progress. I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth, but if you could make the pics a little bigger I would appreciate it. I'm still kind of a rookie, so I like to watch everything.

If you want any photoshop work done to give you ideas for the future, let me know- i'd be happy to help you out.

21. fieldofcars

fieldofcars

ahhh It is a awsome job you have done so far. It is cool to see something I had make someting you got. Keep at it!!!

22. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

OK Sorry for the long delay in updates but I have been working on the car instead of posting on here! Anyway here is where I am as of right now....I marked the car for a 4" front and a 4 1/5" rear chop and as I was snacking on my lunch one day I said "hey lets cut it on the outside of the tape marks instead of the inside!"......well stupidity insued and we did....or I should say I did just that so it became a 6 1/5 cut in the front and a 7 1/5 in the rear....lets just say that is way too much on a merc 4 door. SO thankfully I did have a extra merc 4 door on hand for any kind of mistakes I might make so I just said no big deal and went out back and whacked the roof off that car and cut the post on it and went to measuring and cutting and welding, what I ended up with is a 4 3/4 front chop and I dont really know in the rear for sure yet, I think it is about a 5 1/4. Anyways here are some pics as it sits for now, I hope to have all the roof welding finnished this week and be doing the top of the doors this weekend. Jim

Attached Files:

• 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      16.2 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      18.4 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      17.7 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      17.7 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      12.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      14.3 KB
      Views:
  23. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Here are some more with the top a little more in the normal relm of chop...Jim

Attached Files:

• 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
    • 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      20.8 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      20.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      25 KB
      Views:
  24. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Some more of the A pillar getting close and the b pillar getting some work done to it, them a little work getting done to the rear window area, if you would notice I flipped the rear window upside down on the car, something you dont see many people doing but with this big of a chop I thought it looked good. Jim

Attached Files:

• 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
    • 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
    • 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
    • 30.jpg
      30.jpg
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
    • 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      56.2 KB
      Views:
    • 27.jpg
      27.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      59.8 KB
      Views:
  25. I did a 7" chop on mine. I don't think it's to much.
    Mind you I can't see a damn thing!

Attached Files:

26. lonewolf

lonewolf

Looks good keep us posted on your progress

27. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Heck I'm making calls in Springfield, Joplin area from time to time, I might need to drop by and shoot the shit! Nice looking sedan ...great work!:D

28. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Chopped51 I can see it being a little better doing that much if you did a hardtop like yours but I was going to put the door tops back on my car, that would have left virtually no side windows LOL. Your car is awesome though!

Truckncoupe, give me a shout anytime you are over here, our shop is just off the strafford exit on I-44 east of springfield! Anyone that wants to swing by and see what we are up to feel free to do that and bullshit for awhile! Be glad to meet anyone of ya! Jim 417-593-0885.

I will get more pics posted tomorrow. I got alot done to the car today but we had some nasty weather come through so I left in a hurry and didnt take any pics today, but I will be up there tomorrow working on the car all day so I will get some then. Later, Jim

29. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

OK Got a little bit more done, got the rear doors done, they have a bit of the dog leg in them yet still have the window shortened to the point they look almost like a coupe window, kinda a little of both worlds there, then the rear glass just looks great in my opinion, I love the way it worked out turned upside down in the car! I think it follows the lines of the car just perfect this way! Anyways here are some pics of it sitting on its new shoes now! Just got to finnish lowering the car soon, it looks like a 4x4 after the top chop.....Jim

Attached Files:

• 34.jpg
      34.jpg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
    • 35.jpg
      35.jpg
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
    • 38.jpg
      38.jpg
      File size:
      50.9 KB
      Views:
    • 39.jpg
      39.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
    • 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
    • 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      63 KB
      Views:
    • 43.jpg
      43.jpg
      File size:
      63.5 KB
      Views:
  30. Slow down i'm still on my undercarriage!!!!!!!!
    Great progress! Looks great.