Register now to get rid of these ads!

Complete Build of a 47 Ford Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pont463, Apr 5, 2010.

1. pont463

pont463

I started a thread on this before, but figured I would start from scratch to show the whole thing as I go. It may Take a while, but I will post Pics along the way.

Attached Files:

2. pont463

pont463

First thing was to get it inside and start on the roof.. I removed 4 1/2 inches and set it back down. I had to section the back and narrow it up, but it came back together nicely.

Attached Files:

3. pont463

pont463

I had to cut the rear windows and move them forward about 3 inches and patch them up. Then the rear window had to be shortened to fit without it turning into one of those moon roof rear windows..

Attached Files:

4. pont463

pont463

More window pics..

Attached Files:

5. pont463

pont463

Now is where it gets interesting.. I was looking for a engine and trans combo that would be easy to use but reliable with decent mpg. I settled on a 5.0 and automatic trans out of a 93 mustang. I wanted to use as much of the wiring harness as possible so i just bought the entire car. After much debate, I decided to cut up the car and use the suspension as well. The frame that came with my 47 wasn't in the greatest shape, and there was no rearend at all. Soooo.. I cut the mustang in half and welded the entire rear suspension and floorpan into the 47.

Attached Files:

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

What do you plan on using for back glass? Wasn't the original tempered, so it can't be cut?

7. pont463

pont463

This is where I am tonight. I know this isn't the preferred HAMB method by no means, but so far it has worked out great. The 47 inner wheel wells fit directly on the outside of the rear subframe of the mustang.. perfect fit. I did raise the trunk floor 3 inches to drop the body down a bit, but the inside floor matches up correctly. And when I split the rockers on the mustang floor pans they met up directly to the body channel of the 47.. I do have to replace those, so my plan is to install new 2x4 tubing where the chanels go and weld that directly to the rear sub. Then just stub it out the front and install front end on them. We will see how it all goes, but it is coming together real easy right now..

8. pont463

pont463

I have 2 different friends that have had the original rear glass cut, so I am going to do that as well.

9. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man, That is one aggressive build you will have on your hands. Sedans are the hardest to chop. Like chopping a football. Just get creative on how the pieces match up. Don't agree with welding the floorpan from the Mustang to the '47 frame. Looking forward to seeing progress on this one.

10. pont463

pont463

Actually the 47 frame isnt there at all.. I guess you could say it will be a unibody 47..

11. pont463

pont463

To somewhat justify what I am doing here.. The original frame was.. in bad shape. It neede boxed in and patched everywhere.. the original floor pans were in alot worse shape than originally thought. So in a way I am replacing them, but taking it to the next level I guess.