Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom Car History: Wild Child's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grim, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How about another chapter in the story? :) I think you left off in the mid '60s somewhere...

2. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

grim.
    great stuff. what a history lesson. played with a few more images. Slim

Attached Files:

3. grim

grim

Hey I'd be happy to share, but, I'm not sure how well everyone would take it. Part of the reason I haven't mentioned anything after a certain point in history is things become less and less of a HAMB-friendly version of tradition beyond a certain point in time.

People for the most part quit building customs completely for a long time - customs died birthing new things. For example, at one point the daily driver for the shop was a 65 Malibu. Tired of it being stock they chopped it and noone even noticed.... Times had changed so they invented new styles and began doing different things. Improvise, adapt, and overcome you know? When social conventions change finances change affecting the arts.

I mean by the late 60s and into the 70s customers had led to it pretty much solely being a chopper shop by that time (as you might have heard in some of the older responses here). That's jockeyjournal friendly stuff you know. Then later the disco generation created a new majority with money to spend - literally pimps and drug dealers with personalities that required the projection of new design styles to reflect them. Once the drug culture started in the 60s and beyond general people kept creative ventures cheap and blew most of their money on drugs, and that lifestyle. The early to mid 80s was the rise of the greed generation (yuppies some call it) - people started paying extra for clothing with advertisements on them for status. The $100 Jordache jeans generation were consumers of a different kind of product mentality (pay a lot for nothing of value?:p) so the shop designed and sold them and their cities pieces of artwork and furniture and did other design to be sold on the new factory cars instead of custom cars (they developed the factory hard tops on Jeep wranglers/some of the chrome trim, grills, and other designs for factory Cadillacs etc etc). Also Lowriders mixed in to some of these times. Especially in the late 80s and early ninties when the gang cultures exploded - customizing was king again in the ghetto. But this was a whole new sub-culture world. A shop once full of Hell's Angels became a hangout for Crips, Bloodz, Latin Kings etc etc etc. The same types of people really, but spread over different generations with different goals. To follow the shop much further you'd have to want to hear about histories of clothing design, art, architectural design, numerous non-hamb vehicle style evolutions etc.

Personally, I like it all, it mixes seamlessly. Seeing times through the creative ventures of people makes for the most interesting picture of the world. But, you can't call it traditional in select social circles. People like boxes, it's how people organize info and understand it. One person's nostalgia is another person's misunderstanding ya know? So for all of these reasons I likely won't be moving forward. But I'll try to give much more detail about 1939-1964 when I can.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  4. grim

grim

Slim that bike image helped a lot for detail, thanks a bunch buddy.

5. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Grim/Justin,
    All I can say is THANK YOU. You have shared with us some of the most amazing pictures, stories, and memories. THANK YOU.

6. I am posting so I don't lose this thread again. Thank you for the history lesson. This type of thread is what makes this site so wonderful.

7. Thanks Grim. Real cool stuff. This reminds me of a local bloke who did (does ?) louvers & sectioning here.

8. grim

grim

You're definitely welcome guys I'm glad you like it all - to tell you the truth it's hard for me to tell what I even sound like. Glad I just don't look like an ass haha

Oh by the way, crazy thing I stumbled on thanks to the all wise and knowing - Rikster <- (amazing effort put forth by this guy; you can 100% thank him for me doing this he was my inspiration.)

Anyway, here's the stumble that's also thanks to Cabron - (speaking of later customs - the 70s) the best historical pics and info are on page 4. This style-era is usually a love it or hate it but it's what was done none the less. Anyway, since it was on here, enjoy. Or not haha
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233555

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  9. History is cool, no matter what the era. Not everyone digs the Civil War, but that doesn't mean it's not cool...if they aren't into it, they don't necessarily have to read it.

What part of town did you grow up in? Most of my cruising was done up and down Blue Ridge, from the 87th Street McDonald's out to the one in Grandvew. Nolan Road...State Avenue....Metcalf. Like I said earlier, Wild Child's definitely was an icon in KC, kind of like how Dale Wilch's consignment store in KCK and Bob Sipes joint in Grandview were standard Saturday stopping points.

10. grim

grim

Well said, I'm right there with you buddy.

I'm from midtown, I grew up at about 31st and Troost. I cruised a lot though, and all over the place: Prospect, Linwood, Independence Ave, Nolan, State Ave, N. Oak, Santa Fe, SouthWest Blvd, Mass, you name it. Not sure how old you are though; you never know, I might have seen you out and about.:confused: We used to have a club shop off of 40 & Sterling too, so we would roam back and forth midtown to Independence a lot on Fri and Sat nights. Speaking of Bob Sipes - he is one outstanding interior talent.. He actually used to share a shop with my Dad way back when. A buddy of mine just had an interior done recently - perfect..

11. grim

grim

Someone I know coincidentally tripped on this and ran it past me. I thought it was kinda cool - I think this was in someones old chopper rag collection - StreetChopper is what it came out of I think?? Pretty sure there are pics of this bike under construction in the shop pics somewhere above in this thread.

Attached Files:

12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Justin are you Jim's only son? If so, I met you 6 or 7 years ago...I came in with Farhner and a couple other friends. You were working on a really low truck? You must scan some of the old photos from Jim's albums I looked at that day and post them here. He documented everything very well from the very beginning, something I only wish I had done.

Your commentary above is very insightful and openminded...you're just like your Dad!!

Jim's the only customizer I know of that had a color feature article in Playboy. Find it and post it.

13. Cabron

Cabron
    from California

I spoke with Jim last week and we spoke of him putting together a book that would chronicle his work from the very beginning. You know, the interesting thing is that he never attempted to push his work into magazines and as a result he is one the best kept secrets of the customizing culture, and as those of us who know him will tell you, that book will be awesome and it will come on his time frame, not ours LOL!.
    As a teenager I didn't realize that he is truly an artist, I just knew he built really cool cars and bikes..now as a mature man I realize that he was and is an artist whose medium just happens to be cars and motorcycles, the man is an icon. I respect his work for the originality and quality of it and his personal ethics so much more than the publicity hogs such as Barris.
    By the way all you Hambers, speaking of artists... there is a guy that posts here, Tom Davison also from K.C. back in the day, that rolled some of the nicest rides I have ever seen. I wish he would post some of his creations here for us, the man has an eye for design and paint that you just have to see to believe. I'm going to post a picture of one of his cars that inspires me to this day!

Attached Files:

14. Cabron

Cabron
    from California

Hey Grim, I hope that in those photos you recieved there are some of Sydneys And Nuways, the street between those two used to be backed up 1/4 of a mile waiting to cruise those places on Friday nights, it was amazing.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Brian, I looked through Jim's photo albums the last time I was there. Jim had taken a lot of pictures from very early on...I only wish I had done the same! Doing a book is a great idea.

I just found a couple of shots of my '65 Bonneville, taken in the summer of '66. Pearl blue bottom with sky blue Metalflake top, glass flake over both. The separation line was chrome trim.

[​IMG]

JRussell likes this.
  16. Cabron

Cabron
    from California

WOW! All I can say is WOW! Tom that is just how I remember it parked on Prospect in front of Dunn's place...those colors were just fabulous and that glass flake sets it apart from just about anything I ever saw. Thanks for sharing Tom! Bryan

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  17. TheBossHEMI

TheBossHEMI

This is great to see... with as big as the internet is these days, I actually came across this by chance. Sat back, and read all 9 pages of this post.

I went to HS with grim, and had the priviledge to be taught, and shown so many things of the custom car world by both of them. They truly introduced me to so much, and made my imagination run wild.

I can remember heading over to Wild Child's after school with Justin many days to see what they were working on. Mostly accident repairs at the time, but definitely customs in the backgrounds and in the midst of Jims talent. He was like a second father to me, and though I can remember begging him to show me and Justin more all the time, I kick myself for not trying harder, even to this day.

The trike in the back that always sat there. The custom El Camino that we ended up chopping the top on. The old skool Caddilacs and Mercedes ahead of their time from years back. And when I last saw him, the '98 Tacoma that Justin was building with an extreme body drop.

I miss those days. Jim could always point something custom on a car, and tell you "how they did that" with a torch and coat hangers or what have you. I miss Jim, and hangin' out with Justin rollin' Noland in his shaved and dropped '64 Catalina like it was the last day of our lives.

For the rest of my life, he will always be the standard I use for my custom automotive satisfaction.

18. Cool story, Boss. I, too, wish I'd been more bold when I was a kid in the '60s and '70s and "bothered" people (I used to ride my bike down to Dick Harrell's shop on Hickman Mills Drive and just peek in the door) to learn and experience. I listened to my parents and grandparents when they said to stay out of people's way.

19. grim

grim

No, I have an older brother too; we're about twenty years apart. Guaranteed you met me though by that truck description - at that same time I remember cutting down some cars/trucks for some kids in the city.

I really do need to get a scanner.. I have all of those pictures you're talking about handy since the shop closed. Since you've seen those books you know how much else I could post - I've barely even scratched the surface. I'd love to see them on here. What you probably don't know is there's also a file cabinet piled full of loose pictures, not to mention one full of negatives and slides. I can only imagine what's in there.

Thanks a bunch for the compliments man, I really appreciate it.. I tried my best to share as objective a view as possible and leave my relation to him out of it. I tried to make sure that much of what was said was actually from other people's recollections told to me over the years. I'm glad people enjoy my posting it. I loved the shop, and often go back to it in my mind to move forward in my own projects (vehicle and other). If you guys can get a little bit of the payoff I get from looking at the pics and hearing the stories then the thread was worth it.

When I next get my hands on a scanner - will do on that Playboy rag - how much cooler can you get past a color feature in playboy? Haha - too cool.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  20. grim

grim

Yeah sorry guys, sadly it was a false alarm. I've been looking for pictures of that cruising, any shot at all, for years.. I was told they were coming, but it petered out when delivery time came.

On another note, it looks like all of the pictures on this thread are gone! :eek: - Let me see if I can figure out what was posted where and work with Ryan to put them in the correct locations. Maybe I can get it to fix and pop where people quoted pictures. *crosses fingers* What a nightmare. :(

21. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

It's a shame that all of the Ray Erickson photos are no longer being hosted. I went through and am posting some of the photos I took of his photo albums...no cars, but some of his other artwork. He was the very first guy to build furniture out of car parts and had a two page color spread featured in Playboy in the '70's. The photos aren't great, but interesting.

[​IMG]

Metal sculpture
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sofa under construction from '63 Riviera front fender and rear quarter
    [​IMG]

If you live in Kansas City you know this piece Jim made and painted on the front of the fire station at 63rd and Paseo. Ironically, the Allen's drive-in we cruised in high school was formerly located in this exact spot.
    [​IMG]

22. grim

grim

Hey everyone. Some of you've recently been asking for a restoration and update on this thread. Sadly, over the years many of the pictures have been lost due to changes in the internet. Well, I think this weekend it's time; so, let's dig her out, blow off the dust, and bring her back out boys... ;)

I actually started this last night, but after I sat down to try and clean this thing up I thought &#8211; man, this write-up really sucked. As a few of you have advised me, it's just time to bust out a new and improved extended thread. So, enough lollygaggin'; let's get the party started - Wild Child's Custom Shop (The Revision).

Click Here For ----> PART II

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  23. This is one of my favorite threads on the HAMB. I look forward to the updates!

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way to go, Justin! Thanks, man, I know it's a lot of work to find it and get it all re-posted. Thank you in advance. Such a treasure trove of stuff!

25. grim

grim

Cactus, get ready for these updates man; they're a real surprise. Especially with you being from Kansas City, I think you're really going to smile.

(Thanks a bunch Brer; you set one hell of an example.)

26. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Tom, Do you remember "King George" that was from the midwest? I have heard that he is still around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.