Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flatheads in a barn: need help to identify

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tombat, Apr 4, 2010.

1. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

I had the opportunity to look at some stuff that will be available soon and there were two flathead v8s and a banger in the back of one of the outbuildings, this is on an old farm and it's really dirty and pitch dark back in there so we had a flashlight and the camera flash as our only lighting.
    I am going to put in an offer but would like some help to know what these are, there was too much built up dirt and grease to find any markings....
    1) no intake, could not see or get to front of engine to check for dizzy, water inlets in middle of heads:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2) seems basically complete, water inlets at front of heads
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3) the banger, don't know much about these, no carb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4) model T or A????
    [​IMG]

5)this was pulled out of the building as well!
    [​IMG]

I know it may be difficult or worse to really tell what's there but I would like to buy the stuff and I would like to have a decent idea of what I am looking at. Thanks for any info anyone can offer. Since this was a farm and there were lots of trucks over the years I would not be surprised if these came out of heavy trucks, are they still worth having?
    Tombat

2. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

the truck looks like a 47-48 studebaker?

3. Banger looks like a Model A era motor. Wheel is A also.

They're all worth having if the prices are reasonable and they're not rusted solid inside -

4. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Looks like all 21 stud'ers.
    Leave 'em there.

5. Vaphead is right, both V8's are 21 studs. The one with an intake has a Stromberg 97 carb on it...probably a good 100.00 right there. That same engine has a very slight chance of being an LB engine...they are worth something. The banger is a B. I see your in E. Washington...if your not interested in that, I AM :D The wire wheel is a 28/29 Model A.
    PM me if you want any help

6. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

Yes, I counted the studs, they are both 21 stud engines, but I don't know enough about car stuff, I'm one of those motorcycle guys. I ended up tracking this place down by following a motorcycle legend, but after two days of scouring the old farm (with permission of course) all I found was a Harley solo seat, leather dry but otherwise in real nice shape... bike was last seen by a relative in 1989, he said it was a Harley, in nice shape and stuffed way back in the machine shed. I heard about it spring of '96 and tried to talk to the old timer about his bike and other stuff but he wouldn't talk to anyone, his daughter tried to get him to at least answer a coupld of my questions but he wasn't in a mood to visit. He died a couple years later, then his daughter died two years ago, now the relatives are cleaning up. The old timer must have sold or scrapped or buried the bike at some point after his nephew saw it and before he died....bummer.
    I plan on buying the engines for future projects as I am for some reason thinking of getting a little bit into cars......uh oh...
    Tombat

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  7. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

Chris,
    We have not met but we apparently do know some people in common. If I end up with any stuff and decide to let it go I'll keep you in the loop.
    Tombat

8. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

Here's a pic of the solo seat, don't mind the dork holding it.
    Tombat
    [​IMG]

9. Who do "we" know? Good luck with the purchase!

10. 1952henry

1952henry

US-6 World War Two 2.5 ton Studebaker. It will, or should have a JXD? 320" Hercules six-lunger and a five speed. Many went to Russia with the Lend-Lease program. Ever see the old May Day parades from the Motherland you will see there "modern" trucks still have the old WW2 Studebaker M-series cab look-alikes. Supposedly the name Studebaker is used by some for truck.

11. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

Here's some more neat stuff, '36 1.5 ton??? This is on property owned by my father in law's relatives, I may have a chance at it at some point I hope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Yes, that is a 36 and has another one of those carbs on it :D Love the "don't burn the field" exhaust!

13. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Are my tired eyes seeing aluminum heads on that '36? Yeah go for this one. Good luck.

14. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I read somewhere that when the war was over and the US navy went to collect these trucks and that a good portion of them ended up getting pushed overboard into the ocean as it was deemed too costly to transport them back to the US.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do I see a part of a handlebar just barely poking out of the ground by the tree to the left of the red shed?

16. i will take the 21 stud they don't make them anymore

17. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Yep,WWII era M5.
    Does the windshield swing out from the cab?
    REALLY desirable piece...

18. jeepman

jeepman
    from az

yes that is true about military equipment being "driven overboard", # 1 the ships became troop transports for returning troops, # the goverment decided not to hurt new car sales here by selling returned military equipment. yes people were upset because john q public could'nt buy a car untill 1948 or 49

19. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

Now that would be interesting, the seat pic is at my in law's place which is about 10 miles from the place where the bike was! Maybe my father in law has been holding out on me...
    Tombat

20. tombat

tombat
    from eawa

Yes, the windshields swing out, overall the truck is in great shape.
    Really? How much does desirable mean for resale?
    Also, it is a Studebaker in case I forgot to mention that earlier.

21. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

They never shoved any vehicles off any boats. They didn't load them on to the boats.
    Lots of Italians and Frenchmen drove old army trucks and jeeps for years after.

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Hope the '36 truck cab and grille don't end up in the hands of some rat rodder. With a '35-'40 car frame and that cab, grille and hood your on your on your way to a really cool little PU.

Frank

23. 55chevr

55chevr

the 21 stud engines are for restorers ... no hot rod value ... the B motor is a hard to find piece for a race motor ...

24. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

A lot of farms out here on the west coast used flat head motors in their wind machines, helping to keep the frost off the crops.

25. zgears

zgears

my dad has a 43 Studebaker army truck just like that, but it has a "steamshovel" like backhoe in the rear. any info appreciated.

26. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey tombat,
    I wouldn't know what to tell you as far as fair market value for that swing-out windshield,but I'd love to have one for my M5 1/2 ton hot rod.
    Studebaker Truck Talk Forum is a good place to start.I'm on there and won't hamper your queries.

It wouldn't be right to seperate it from the military truck just to make a few dollars.Keep them together.
    Carl

27. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

zgears,
    An older gentleman (he drove one when it was new-40's war era)I'm friends with restored one of those Stude military trucks back to its glory and had to drive to Colorado just for the windshield and some detail parts?!
    There aren't many of them.I wouldn't know what they'd be worth,but the guys on the site I mentioned above would.
    I'm stepping out of it now out of fairness.
    Carl

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one of those flatheads, a 41/42 that has waterpipe exhaust on it.

That 1-1/2 ton Ford looks like it has wheat field exhaust stacks on it.

That military truck is probably pretty interesting to a Military vehicle collector as it looks to be pretty original and all there. I have no idea of what one would be worth though.

We captured Russian made Army trucks in the Ashaw (sp) Valley in 1968 that looked a bit similar to that truck.

As far as value on the 21 stud engines. I saw a complete but disassembled 21 stud at the Yakima Swap meet last year for 100 bucks with no takers and it looked to be in decent condition.

29. olskool34

olskool34

Chris, how can you tell that banger is a B? I don't see the fuel pump, what other clue makes you think it's a B?

30. 55chevr

55chevr

A Shau Valley ???