Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

That is the 1958 Williams Grove Champ car race. Best race I ever saw.

That picture is Buzz Barton outside Len Sutton. The race had 4 leaders, Johnny Thomson, Buzz, Len and the winner Jud Larson. Sutton spun shortly after that picture, losing it coming off of 2.

Everybody believed Barton backed off because he may have had a large engine and didn't want to call greater attention to himself. Third was fine!

Definitely the Kuzma O'connor used to win Trenton in 1957.

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

The Easter Bunny's going to be a little late, Have A Happy Easter guys!!!!Rich

Attached Files:

3. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'3:08 of that great video "Open Wheel Tribute" MichaelFerner had it documented as Gary Bettenhausen? It is; Gary in Victory Lane with the promoter and trophy girl after winning the first night at the Astrodome in 1969 with the Nowicke Offy. 'Merle's even on the far left.

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_r5hY49jLM

4. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Guys, Happy Easter,
    The OConnor 48 is a Kuzma car. Jackie Howerton did the bulk of the restoration and I completed it when it was sold. It was sold again to Ray Evernham who still has it. John Bloughs son in law has restored the original trailer and Ford stationwagon that towed it! Perhaps Hopkins 1 can fill in the gaps of the cars history.

5. jimg12

jimg12

The Kuzma car is the one E.T. Morse cut down to a sprint car. The Blough car was the circle 7 that Pat won Darlington in. he won Trenton in the Kuzma.
    Jim Graybeal

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The Blough car with the updated tail:

Attached Files:

7. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Happy Easter to everybody. After witnessing the fiasco at Eldora Friday night, If you have not heard there are lots of recaps on many other forums, I Hesitantly drove out to North Vernon to hopefully see some sprint car racing after a long cold winter. Well after driving all over the Midwest for 2 days searching for open wheel action I finally found some. 43 of the best cars around battling it out for 4 grand. Darland and Stanbrough put on a great show swapping the lead for 30 laps until they both touched and took each other out. After words they were both smiling and shaking hands. It was one of those events that I can talk about 30 years from now at vintage meets as one of those legendary times in open wheel.

Smelling methanol again has definitely got me motivated to get my midget done.

Rick Wright likes this.
  8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Here is a video of last nights events that Niel is talking about. YES... IT WAS KILLER!!

Well worth watching ALL THE WAY TO THE END!

http://www.jackslash.com/2010/04/04/north-vernon-no-way-out-40/

John Stanbro and Dave Darland are two of the best we'll see, both as racers and as Men.
    It was thought there would be a cry of "SECURITY TO THE PITS" but instead, both drivers understood that there was NO PASSING room to be had that late in the race and both were racing for the "WRECKER OR THE CHECKER".

Even Jesse Hockett was well spoken in his interview after the race saying, "We were super fast, and could have caught them (stanbro and Darland) but we wouldn't have been able to pass them!"

Wonderful opening night of racing.

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Oh yeah.. and by the way, I got to run 15 HARD laps in a 1200cc Mini sprint at Lawrenceburg Sat. It was a blast!! Hell, I even passed TWO cars! :p

Attached Files:

10. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

was that the first racer that you drove that wasn't pulled by the squad to the track....lol

11. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

12. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Nice find! :) The man in the blazer is Henry Banks, by the way, USAC Director of Racing and 1950 National Champion!

13. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Great start to a season. That's a cool site...Is that new or have I just missed it ?

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Kinda new.. Jack Slash has been around for a couple of years, but has been really picking up momentum here lately. They flat ass GET TO SOME RACES!! and cover them well. They usually post them by Noon the next day. Keep an Eye on that site for great coverage of Open Wheel action all year.

-------------------------------

Chris Smith19.... Ha! Well, not the first, but yeah, My main car owner towed with a revamped Ambulance. That thing was great! Ran like a million bucks, was built like a TANK and all the compartments, latches, hinges, and drawer tracks were the BEST MONEY COULD BUY!! They don't "Skimp" on Bambalances.. :D

15. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Seems to be a lull and everyone including Rootie, seem to be taking a break so, I'll try to fill in with some names and faces from that video, "Open Wheel Tribute." 'Some of the greatest in racing; I salute their bravery, greatness and their contribution to and for our enjoyment.

note: Photos courtesy Joe Scalzo's book, "The American Dirt Track Racer"

Attached Files:

16. jimg12

jimg12

LittleFaus,
    Please PM me.
    Thanks
    Jim Graybeal

17. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Saw a pic of the Vivian Buick. Have a photo I took long ago at Eldora. Al Smith was driving. First attempt to post a photo, so bear with me !

Vegas_oldtimer

Attached Files:

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Isn't that Russ Clendenen in front of the car?

19. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Indybigjohn, thats exactly what i thought when i saw the picture.

20. Buildy

Buildy

Vegas oldtimer,

Great photo! I`d like to see more if you have em!

21. jimg12

jimg12

Indybigjohn.
    Sure looks like him to me.
    Jim

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Ed Elisian- Whether justified or not he was probably one of the most maligned, vilified an downright hated drivers of the time. 'Cameup' through the track roadsters and midgets of NorCal along with Vuky, Sweikert and others. Qualified in virtual darkness for the 55 Indy and was commended for stopping and trying to help his friend Vuky when he crashed. 1956, he won the only USAC champ car race at Dayton and famously planted a kiss on the trophy queen, movie star hottie Rhonda Flemming. 1958 he and Rathman tangled on the first lap of the 500 which set off the big crash that killed Pat O'Conner and for which he was generally blamed and suspended. Ironically a year later he came back only to meet his end upside down and onfire at Milwaukee.

Attached Files:

• ee1.jpg
      ee1.jpg
      File size:
      87.1 KB
      Views:
    • ee2.jpg
      ee2.jpg
      File size:
      109.6 KB
      Views:
    • ee3.jpg
      ee3.jpg
      File size:
      339.4 KB
      Views:
    • ee4.jpg
      ee4.jpg
      File size:
      103.4 KB
      Views:
    • ee5.jpg
      ee5.jpg
      File size:
      191.8 KB
      Views:
    • ee6.jpg
      ee6.jpg
      File size:
      87.3 KB
      Views:
    • ee7.jpg
      ee7.jpg
      File size:
      104.5 KB
      Views:
  23. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

24. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

25. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

MARK YOUR CALENDARS !!!!

The date is set for the 5h Annual Warren Township (NJ) Antique/Classic/Race Car/Motorcycle Show !!!

Sunday, September 12th .... (Rain Date Sunday, September 19th)
    http://www.warrennjcarshow.org/

Famous midget, sprint car, champ car owner .. of days gone by .. Ken Brenn has A LOT to do with the race car portion of this show.

If you have a vintage race car, antique car, custom car, hot rod, show car, muscle car, truck, motorcycle, truck, fire engine, etc., etc., etc. that you enjoy, that your proud of here's the place to show it. Same goes if you enjoy these vehicles & the people associated with them .. it will be a wonderful way to spend a day.

I went last year & had an absolutely GRRRRRREAT time. It was a fantastic way (for me) to see so many folks from different forms of racing, that I hadn't seen for all too many, many years .. as well as renew aquaintances with some that I do see, but all too infrequently .. meet others that I've long admired .. plus enjoy the cars too.

Those with vintage race cars of ANY kind .. if you would like to talk to Ken Brenn about the show Private Message (PM) or eMail me and I'll forward you Ken Brenn's home phone number.

Many of you HAMBer's have race cars &/or vehicles of all sorts that I'd love to see there. Even if you don't have a car to proudly show, but you enjoy them &/or the people associated with them as I do .. it's THE place to be if your from the North East on September 12th.

I HOPE TO SEE 'YA THERE !!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  26. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Can anyone identify the manufacturer of this Silver Crown transmission?

Attached Files:

27. Reminds me of those champ dirt car trannys Nance put out in the early 90's.

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just bought a similar unit on ebay, but missing the bell receiver, wanna sell that one? Someone will know who made it, the one I just got has no marks on it.

29. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Can anyone identify the guy standing to the rear of the Vivian Buick ? Looks like he's in a drivers suit, but it's a little too grainy to see exactly who it is.

Vegas_Oldtimer

30. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Mine has no markings on it either. PM me a few pictures of the internals as I would like to see what mine is missing.