Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint mixing help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod31, Mar 29, 2010.

1. HotRod31

HotRod31

Does anyone know how much flattner should go in 1 gallon of acrylic urethane for a satin/flat finish? I am using ppg shopline jau, the dude at the paint store made me a gallon of flat it was glossy, went back today & he doubled the flattener in it. Did a test panel when I got home & it is still glossy, WTF ?

Thanks, Mark

2. HotRod31

HotRod31

Back up for the day shift......anyone ?

Thanks, Mark

3. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

A lot in a single stage urethane...

I tried flattening DuPont ChromaOne a few times for aircraft seats and it took an absurd amount of Flattener... Like 1:1 and was still a little shiny

Probably the best way is to use the PPG DCU2060 Flat Clear over a base coat (maybe your single stage scuffed)

4. 1930roadster

1930roadster

Scary putting that much in single stage, i'm pretty sure its just for clears. Get it premade for Harley thats what i do and i know what it will look like when its done.
    good luck

5. HotRod31

HotRod31

Well I took it to him again today & he added another flattner for deltron, did another test panel & it still has a ton of gloss. I just figured there would be a paint pro on here that could tell me how many ounces went in a gallon to double check my paint dealer. I know there are several companys selling satin or flat urethane so I know it can be done. I probably should have ordered Kirker or Hot Rod Flatz but I am trying to buy local. Thanks for the replys.

Thanks, Mark

6. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

i did not know you could put flattener in single stage huh, but that is awesome, but be careful , it could affect the adhesion. lmk how it goes!! get a intercoat clear t top it maybe??

7. are you also using a hardener? they can add a bit of gloss.

8. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

I know "a lot" wasn't very specific, but 1:1 should have helped...
    What are they using to flatten it and how many ounces did they add?

It'd help to have a P/N
    I looked it up and couldn't find any info on Shopline Flattener...
    PPG does have a Flattener for Urethane, did they use that, or the Deltron Universal DX265?

For Concept 2K Urethane SS 1qt color use DX685:
    Flat 28-30oz
    Eggshell 22-23oz
    Semi-Gloss 18-20oz

Looks like a similar ratio as DuPont... Nearly 1:1

Dave

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  9. HotRod31

HotRod31

Yes, I am using a hardner I heard it would add gloss but the online flats also use hardner.

I thought he said 150 ounces the first time then he said he doubled it and today he added someting else . I will find out more tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  10. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I use Dupont "Hot Hues" Hot Rod Black if I am using single stage. That way I know how it will come out everytime .If I am using base clear, I use regular base and then a matte clear that is premixed that way I get the same results every time without having to guess at ratios of flattiner.
    Also if you try to flatten a gloss paint by adding flattiner make sure you mix it up very good ...I mean very good because it settles out and if you spray it at different times it will come out differnt gloss levels.

11. rusty A

rusty A

I mixed at work the other day PPG Defleet line for a customer that wanted a satin black. They come in factory packs right of the self mixed a gloss and a flat black half and half and turned out really well. VOC complent to boot. The products that everyone keeps talk about like concept is so old hardly anyone uses it anymore. Delfeet is the new single stage to use. Just my to cents Thanks

12. Indocil Art

Indocil Art

It may be application. If you apply it too heavy the talc can settle. Call my shop in the morning and I will try and explain. Look at last Fri art show. I posted a flat helmet. I have a pretty good understanding of the process

13. monster

monster

i would aldo use ppg dcu2060 flat clear is awesome, really flows out nice.

14. lowelife

lowelife

I did the same with some Chroma one and it was a lot of flattener to get it right. Like you said practically 1:1. No adhesion problems and it seemed though as shit. I did it on a shovelhead and the tank took some gas every now and then and never affected it.

15. hotrodihc

hotrodihc
    from London Ont

One thing that i have learne is that the second last coat has to be almost dry before laying the last flattener coat down. Plus for reducer I use lacquer thinner in the final coat. The paint drys alot faster. For some reason when the paint takes longer to dry it starts to get shinner. P.S. O

16. hotrodihc

hotrodihc
    from London Ont

P.S. I always use hardener

17. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

that flattener is a joke .ill never mess with it again shit always looks glossy or semi gloss .

18. roddinron

roddinron

Just use baby powder. Read the container that the flattener comes in, it's just talc and some thinner. I was helping a friend of mine paint a 54 Chevy once, and he went through the same thing you are. I told him about the baby powder but he wouldn't listen, then the supplier ran out of flattener, and it was late, so in desperation, he went and bought baby powder. Flattened it right out, and as an added bonus, the car smelled great! Every time someone doubted the story, he told them to smell it, and it made a believer out of them. He sold the car a couple years later when he got his project done, and the paint was still perfect.

19. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

To get a semi gloss I add 20% flattening agent by volume. To make it Matt I add 40%. Always seems to work.

The Old TInbasher

20. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

sorry , mark. but what you are trying won't work, You will not be happy witht he results, the best and only way to do this is base , then clear it with a matt clear and add more flattner to that. I've tryed everything, and cost effective and best results, is base with matt clear.

21. roddinron

roddinron

I disagree, I told you what we did.

22. HotRod31

HotRod31

Update: I took the paint back 4 times to add more flattner,don't know how much we ended up putting in there but it came out pretty good. If I do it again I will use bc/cc. Here is a pic.....
    Later, Mark

Attached Files:

23. kujoe's-56

kujoe's-56
    from Houston,TX

i use ppg shopline its pretty good stuff, if you decide to use base coat use the 2060 flat clear. you can use it straight or in the clear, you can mix it to how flat you want it from 10% to 100% mix with clear if i'm not mistaken you might be able to mix in the single stage. if not just buy the flatener they put in the single stage and do it yourself at home, just remember how much you use, it comes in quarts............