Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 48 Desoto Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by my47soto, Sep 11, 2009.

1. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

I just bought this 47 Chrysler. It's being bagged and 4 linked right now might give you an idea how your DeSoto might looked chopped and dropped.[​IMG]

2. Congrats on both of your projects...my vote would be to drop it and drive it...save the chop for something else...that Caddy is sweet and your wife is definitely a keeper!

3. Just ran across this thread and thought you may be interested in my 1947 Pro Street Business Coupe. It has a totally custom chassis (9" Ford coil over 4 link rear, and Z-28 front clip) Under the hood is a 340 mopar with a 6-71 supercharger. By the way, I have lots of original parts that I am willing to sell!

Attached Files:

4. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey 47 SOTO...i love thst old car, very different. in a good way my friend! and ur surely not afraid of work. U said U want to keep the flat 6, and we should respect that! man it's Ur bread and swet, so keep on keeping on. can U dig it? please keep us posted, as i'am very interested! your new friend in texas. call me POP...or the old FART!

5. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

You chop the top on that sucker, slam it on the ground with air bags and it will look meaner than a NFL linebacker! I like it.

6. pontiac

pontiac

Hey nice project... I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'm working on a 46 Dodge D24. My car is a lot uglier in the front though, I gotta do something about the grille in mine haha.

That chopped Chrysler is awesome too!

Here's a Desoto like yours that I saw a few years ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yo, Soto, did I already ask you if your bumpers are in good shape? If the guy hasn't moved, I know of a '47 coupe back in the woods. Been there forever, but the bumpers were rpetty keen last time I saw the coupe.

Also, did anybody speak up for the trim? (That is, if you still plan to shape your sedan, I mean.)

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I don't see a chop helping that lovely shape. Lower it all around, shave and deck, and of course, as you have already said, keep that L6 Flathead.

9. lowbuckers

lowbuckers

I too am building a 1947 Desoto Coupe project. Looking for any clues to lower it with the right stance and a budget. It's all stock and its getting made into a rat rod lowered wide whites and relaible is all I want the interior I could care less about right now just want to know how to lower it or the right direction and a drivetrain keep it original or small block or etc. If anyone can let me know thanks.

10. moparjack44

moparjack44

If you want to go 'not expensive'.

Cut the front coils (cut & check, cut & check, may take several attempts).
    Lowering blocks for the rear.

[​IMG]

I have cut front coils, and air bags on rear. This photo bags are at ride height.

Jack

11. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

A Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer will work too, they are easier to find these days and the right years (post 98 I think) get you disc brakes, and the right bolt pattern. Lots have 3.73 and 4.10 gears in them, lots have Positraction, and available at modern boneyards. There are a couple of sites that have 8.8 swap info for Jeeps - basically if you carefully take off the spring mounting pieces on both the old and new axles it's pretty easy.

There are two or three kits to give you front discs as well, HAMBer 'olddaddy' sells one kit that keeps the stock bolt pattern so you can run the stock wheels. There is another kit that uses Chevy rotors so if you get a Nova type rear end you could go that way.

12. I hear Fatman has drop spindles for the 42-50-ish Chrysler and Desotos, not sure if the Plymouths and Dodges use the same pieces or not?

So a say a 2" drop spindle then a cut coil, or lower new coil, and you could realistically drop the front end 4"-5". Then lowering blocks in the back.

I'm working on getting a 48 Desoto myself and this is the route I'll be taking.

13. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Looking forward to see what you end up doing with the 48!

14. zon

zon
    from Abbotsford

Having some power under the hood with a good reliable trans and rear end is the key. I love the dropped look, but my opinion is that more-doors do not take well to chops. I'd suggest getting it on the road and adjust as you go.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  15. lowbuckers

lowbuckers

Yeah I have a 1947 desoto in deconstruction process it does have dropped spindles from fatman. I'm going to cut one coil and then just use blocks for the rear. The problem with the spindles is you have to heat the steering arms for the bumpsteer. There is a shock relocation kit that comes with them as well so I have heard it's worth it by relocating those it makes a world of a difference so I have heard. but oh well anybody have the new number for plydo tried to email and call but no answer or any other disc conversion talked to rusty hope but you have to use stock spindles for his.

16. austinsailor

austinsailor

I've cut the coils on these old mopars before and it killed the ride. Hard and bouncy. There must be a better choice.

17. joel torres

joel torres

air bags with cups upfront for gm cars works perfect

18. my47soto

my47soto

Guess who has been on third shift and thought day time was night time? This guy right here, I went through a major car withdrawl. I'm back now and ready to rock. I have got to get you guys some pics of the Desoto. I got her partially chopped and need to finish the rear window but cant find away thats comfortable for me to live with. I cant back track now since i got the A pillar welded back in. I will keep trucking ahead and find my way. How's everyone doing????:D

19. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Welcome back to the garage! Now get back to work.

20. Look forward to seeing the pics of your chop.

Those night shifts are tough...really mess with the system. Glad your back on regular human time.;):D

21. moparjack44

moparjack44

Doing great 47, how 'bout you.

Now get back to work on the DeSoto, and don't forget those pictures.
    Jack

22. zon

zon
    from Abbotsford

Everythings great here, welcome back!

Now where's the dagum pics?

23. moparjack44

moparjack44

Yeah, didn't you get the memo:p, we love pictures.

Jack

24. my47soto

my47soto

Alright here are a few shittie pics of where I'm at so far. My digital cam is down, I have been so busy lately. But I will be sure to take better pics once I get another cam. Ignore the flat tire, lol!!!!:D I have jack stand under neath the car so its all level. Now I got to get back to work. I will be finished this week I hope.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  25. moparjack44

moparjack44

WELL !! It's about time;).
    Project really looking good. How much are you taking out of the top? Keep us posted, keep the pictures coming.

Jack

26. zon

zon
    from Abbotsford

Looks great so far. Keep 'em coming.

27. johnny raven

johnny raven

Awsum stuff, 'soto!! Am so glad you decided on the chop!! Next project for me is 46-48 Chrysler Club Coupe! So will continue to watch your journey!!
    This is where i wana go with it!! Hope it keep's the mojo up!! c ya!

Attached Files:

28. my47soto

my47soto

Alright fellas Im done to the final stretch and I will be taking some reveal pics of before and after. I wish some one would have told me how many cutting wheels I would go through. How many cuss word I would use or how many times I looked at the car and said f*ck this!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate all your motivation my fellow HAMBers. Can't wait to show off my handy work.:D

29. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Good Luck! Cant wait too see it! I love desotos.

30. moparjack44

moparjack44

Can't wait to see pictures of your handy work.