Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody still lowering just the back end of there lead sled?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Oh ya! Cheers to that, I cant pull in anywhere without dragging,got stuck a few times back when I was getting used to driving something that low.Car rides like a cadillac since its been c'd and tunneled but it is kind of a pain in the ass I will admit.Everytime it has to go on a flatbed is chore and a half BUT...... it's a price we got to pay.People tell me just bag the back, sorry cant do it.It goes against everything I believe in. There are sacrifices we just have to make.It's like a gorgeous women wearing a stunning pair of high heels..... Do you really think they are comfortable for her ??? Heck no there not but they look breathtaking !!!! Just like a kustom with the right stance.:cool:

2. tommy v

tommy v

why do you think there are air bags now day ,so you don't bang and drag your car to shit ,that gets old if you drive your car alot

3. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I've got 3" blocks out back and it tends to bottom out a bit. I'd like to go lower, any suggestions?

[​IMG]

4. no kidding about the flatbed...
    when my brake line blew out on the 110 south at the 4 level interchange i managed to get over to a little piece of shoulder. a not so level piece. half asphalt and half soft dirt after the rain. when i called AAA i had to make sure that the tow driver know i had a LOW car and that we were gonna need ramps and blocks.

i was pretty impressed by the driver. even with the car sitting on a slope, he managed to get the car up with just a few sheets of paper's worth of clearance at the tail pipes. (prolly would dragged had they not been scraped off all ready). all in all a huge hassle, but thats the price we pay.

actually, i think its so guys can get their cars unnaturally low when parked. but thats JUST an opinion. i drive my car alot and it dont bother me one bit. i've been driving lowered cars for 21 years. to me, its just part of it.

nothing against bags or guys who use them. some of my best friends are baggers. haha.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Jeffsled!!!!

Here's a pic of it last Saturday after I cleaned it (before caps were cleaned up). It rides a bit higher here then in the next pic. The springs in it here are stock Astro springs with nothing cut out. It rides beautiful right now!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic from last years Good guys where it sat a little lower up front due to a coil and a half I think cut out. Drove like shit from what I heard but looked really good.
    About an inch lower I think...
    [​IMG]

6. There are other solutions like caster wheels skidplates on the bottom of your shackles or other things.

7. Not trying to tell you what to do... If you were to bring your skirts down to the body line it will show how low you really are.Im in process of doing this right now. Just a thought.

8. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

The car looks great Jeffrey. I'm thinking the new (older) tire will look even better. I'm surprised that cutting only a coil or so changed the ride that much. I've cut my wagon and Caddy both and barely noticed a difference. Honest!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  9. The more I see this car the more I like it.

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

1 inch blocks in the front, worn out springs with 2 inch blocks in the back.

Attached Files:

11. My 62 Merc was lowered just in the back, looked awful. We cut the front coils. Some cars look good with just the back lowered, , my Merc wasn't one of them.

12. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I have never cared for that look. Growing up in SoCal we didn't see it that often, it was more of an East Coast thing. It always reminded me of a dog dragging its ass across the gas. I prefer them to be level or slightly lower in front. Whatever floats your boat.

13. It's not in a good spot for taking pics....but here's my buddy's car that he brought in for some repairs. He's an older, more conservative guy, but I refused to work on it unless he let me put 2" blocks out back for a slight attitude adjustment. Before, the rear was quite a bit higher than the front. Now, the rear is just a tad lower....it's my preferred "look"

[​IMG]

14. That is a badass car and Groucho I agreee with you a 100%. On these later year cars I like the ass just a tad lower not a whole bunch.

15. 53choptop

53choptop

God I love the HAMB its almost like it reads minds...

This is the exact same thing i was talking to my bro about last week, I will be lowering the Olds AFTER the roundup, i have learned muphys law always applies, if something is going to go wrong it will, and i want to drive the car to the round up. So i can wait.

But yeah mine desperately needs an altitude adjustment, i'm gonna de-arch the rear springs, 3 inch blocks, and get me some 3' lowering coils from Jamco and install skirts. I know the size of the tires does not help, but i just love a fat tire.

I am trying to avoid the airbag route, but its apparent that ride quality get sacrificed when you go too low, so depending on how bad it rides... airbags may be the next step.

Attached Files:

16. Here's what I've done before. Go to your cheapest do-it store and get the necessary amount of bags of cement or sand to lower the car to your liking (save receipt). Measure it for the final choice of blocks, go to the roundup with the bags, then return the bags when you get home;)

17. 53choptop

53choptop

dam it groucho, that is exactly what my bro said!!!! Hell i have enough bags of sand at the house to do that hahahahaha, im telling you the hamb is a creepy place, it can read your thoughts!!!!!!!

18. There ya go. And you'll see if there are any issues (d-shaft hitting the floor/exh hitting the rear axle tubes...). Plus, if you spend too much money @ the Roundup, you can toss ballast for improved mileage on the way home:D

19. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

hopefully you dont overheat the motor on the way there, that extra weight mite do her in

20. jeffrey james that looks soo badass!
    but yeah im trying to avoid the bags too. i was just curious what other guys were doing about lowering the rear.

21. Here is my '54 lowered only in the back. 2" blocks and OG saggy springs.Too many doors, I know.

Attached Files:

22. 55cad

55cad

I did it on this 55 Caddy, but sold it soon after, the rust was way beyond my limited skills.

Attached Files:

23. i hate it when ppl say that. I mean, i know im only a kid but still, i think when 4 doors are done correctly, they still look just as cool!

24. creepr

creepr
    from dallas,ga

yep your just a kid, no way they look just as cool sorry just my $.02

25. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

i have to agree.:cool:

26. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

that makes at least two people that are wrong!

27. 1" lowering blocks at the rear with worn springs. Front wheel is 2" larger diameter. (sorry for the terrible picture) [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  28. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I had a 4-Door '63 Electra with saggy springs in the back, I just put like 5 sandbags in the trunk, it lowered it pretty well. I'll have to dig for pics...

29. Haven't you any dead bodies you can throw in there, besides that sand will get everywhere;)

30. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

And no one really gives a shit what you think. I didn't buy the car so you would like it, I bought it so I could fit my family in it.