Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody still lowering just the back end of there lead sled?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Lets start a pic thread of guys lowering just the back end! my grandma lowered the back end of what is now my 53 ford in mid 50s and just recently i lowered it again. Im curious to see who all else out there is lowering just the back! ill get a pic up of mine as soon as the snow melts...

2. thanks!!

but im still looking more for 50s stuff

3. In the early days a lot of the guys were just lowering the back,not so much so today.My car definatley sits a lot lower in the ass but the front is lowered just not as much.I dont know how to post pics but look up the old Barris picture of Al Andril & Johnny Zaro's 40 mercs together.I think its under the thread 40's period correct customs.If not it's on Riksters site.I dont think there are to many people just lowereing the ass these days,you have to remember most guys out there today think a custom should lay frame on all 4 corners.

4. 2" dropped spindles up front, de arched springs out back with 3.5" blocks. scrubline safe.
    prolly put bags on it for better adjustability but i like the way it sits.
    [​IMG]

5. That's a great stance on that chevy.Im glad to see that. I have a side profile pic in my album that shows my stance but I cant post pics up. Dig your chevy alteredpilot.Looks real good.

6. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

mines stock in the front with 3 inch blocks in the rear, i have to raise my tranny tunnel to go any lower,

[​IMG]

7. If the car you are talking about is the same one as in your avatar let's have a look looks bitchin. I still wish more people would lower the backs like they used to.

8. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Mine is little in the front blocks on the back, I do have air shocks on the rear with a fill up in the trunk, just keep a few psi for the absorbtion of the road!

[​IMG]

9. Love em guys! Has anybody had problems with there exhaust pipes hitting the axle? When i lowered mine 2 inches the exhaust pipes hit the axle, im going to take it back to my exhaust shop and have them redo it closer to the body but, is that something heard of or not so much?

10. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

yea mine would rub a little bit so i put the lake pipes on had the exhaust shop hook them up as my full time straight pipes, no more rubbing

11. mine bangs pipes, but its part of the game.

12. If you were talking to me , yes my avatar pic is when it was a virgin but if you go on my profile photo album there is a side profile pic that shows the stance real good. It is slammed in the back. 2 3/4 off the ground (right before the rear wheels) the front is dropped but not as much. That is a driving height,there is NO adjustable nothing on this car.I know it is one of the lowest mercs around without adjustable suspension,in sacramento merc gathering I went around and took measurements just to make sure:cool:.

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Just the rear is on bags.
    IMG_0116_crop.jpg

14. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Mine bangs pipe like a mugg driveways speedbumps etc etc... price you pay.... here is a pic of jeffs sled....

[​IMG]

15. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

PROJECT FIVEDEUCE.jpg

here is my 52 chevy with a 4" block still have to lower the back more and lower the front end down some.

16. Thank you John ! I might put the front down just a lil bit but I doubt it,I have to wait for my new skirts to be done to see.My new skirts will follow the line of the rocker all the way back,like it should be.That will show hardly any whitewall at all,then you will be able to see the true height of my car. Thanks again John !

17. Dont do that man, Sorry I didnt mean come off like a dick, I dig your car ,I wish you would leave the rear a little bit lower then the front.Sorry

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My car sits lower in back then the front. I think it needs about 3/4"-1" lower up front but I want to see what it will look like and where I am at when I get the 7.10 Firestones on there instead of the current setup. Sorry for the blurry pic. It's the only one I have with the Wheel covers on...

[​IMG]

19. Thanks saxon for posting a 53! Does it damage the pipes much when they hit or not too much? cause i live out in the boonies and there are alot of rough bumpy roads. I absolutley love that look tho! Jeff yours is soo sick!!

20. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Thanks Jeff your ride is stellar, I'm all they way to my scrub-line.:( The 4" blocks in back look awesome but if I blow a tire the u-bolts will hit before the rim.

Thought about using them on local rides :rolleyes:

21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Haven't had any issues with pipes (223 - Inline6 with duals). But the driveshaft was very close to the floor with 4" blocks.

Repost:
    Were it is now...
    [​IMG]

Photoshop plan....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  22. Badass car and great stance,with your year car if you wanted be period you could still come down in the front like you said.Even if you lower the front I would still stay lower in the rear. It just looks to good .

23. On your bottom picture ... If you were to raise that front about a inch maybe a lil more,you will have a homerun and change the whole look of your car to a earlier looking ford. Just my 2cents.

24. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Mine is 2" lower in the rear. This will work for now until i do the air bags.

Attached Files:

25. Nice car with a nice stance... your second sentence sounds like a personal problem:D goodluck with that.

26. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Haha Thanks! It's a "problem" I'm workin on :D

heres another pic

Attached Files:

• 54.bmp
      File size:
      195.3 KB
      Views:
  27. many years ago i asked my dad how they drove the cars so low.

his response:

we dragged, scraped and banged.

now i know what he meant.

the price we pay for vanity.

28. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

"Sexy Sadie" will be ass end low. It'll probably be about 3.5" lower in the rear than in this shot.

Attached Files: