Register now to get rid of these ads!

Still bummed about the breather mask ban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voxnut, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Lippy, that's great!!!

2. LabRat

LabRat

Well ..... I would wear a mask too , If I was riding a tandem scooter with no seats ! :eek:

3. Iron-Iceberg

Iron-Iceberg

4. to bad... that is the first I'ver heard of this

5. A468Vega

A468Vega

Since the ban on Masks has been official it's hard to justify the cost of buying one now except for display and picture opportunities. I have heard of a company that produces masks that look the part but in no way are they certified for usage for fire protection. They are about half the price of new mask I think about $150 where as new masks from some manufacture's are $300 to $400. Also, if you find an old mask they are usually way worn out or way above that price. If you are interested just send me a post and can forward you some information and pics.

6. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

that's a gorgeous lambretta!!! so you know, my screen name implies cutting that thing up and "chopping" it. although not sure it would look appropriate with an LD frame. i've got a '59-'60 (not sure exactly what year) li 150 series 2 frame that i will some day chop.
    you going to WKRP this year?

sorry for the thread jack folks.

7. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

while i tend to want to agree with this, i feel it's not really the lawyers, but the people who are no longer willing to take resposibility for their own actions who go to the lawyers, that ruins the fun for the rest of us. this is kind of like the gun rights argument, "it's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people."
    we live in a society now that just can't handle responsibility anymore, we have to blame others for our own shortcomings. it's pretty sad really.

8. owen_64

owen_64

IHRA still allows the breather and goggles. Even with front motored, supercharged, open-bodied cars on gas or alky. So if you are close to any IHRA, run those tracks with the breather. Thats what I'm doing. And also to the safety matter, if you don't feel safe, you shouldn't do this, plain and simple. Any type of motorsport is potentially life threatening. Thats just the risk people take.

9. bedeka

bedeka
    from california

Thats your opinion and as a driver I would never hold it against you but it should be up to the driver if he wants to wear one in nostalgia T/F or any other of the FED classes not the almighty NHRA. After all the breather mask was and is just as much the visual part as the the FED's. I bet Brendan Murry would still be wearing regardless of his boom in the lights at 07 CHRR. If you don't like the idea or have reservations about wearing one then drive a rear engine car. I go to and support nostalgia drag racing because I hate the modern era of hight tech corporate sponsored atmosphere. Nostalgic drag racing was and still is (but for how long) a way of getting back to the roots of the sport away from all the modern B.S. I guess I will know have to focus most of my attention to the cacklefest events. I have already heard that NHRA was considering banning push starts from these events because of a few minor incidents. I fucking hate the NHRA and their dictatorship of the sport. Just like NASCAR.

10. bedeka

bedeka
    from california

The breather mask ban sucks!!!!!!!!!! Is it true the IHRA still allows them? If so I will start supporting them instead of the almighty NHRA.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  11. bedeka

bedeka
    from california

I totally agree with your reply. All these jerks that reply about us being pissed about the breather mask ban as being anti safe or don't see the signifigance in keep the the masks as part of the nostalgia tradition are like I said jerk offs or never experianced the open face/breather mask period in the first place and are in my opinion just posers to being a true part of nostalgia drag racing.

12. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

AMEN bedeka we are letting stuffy shirts dicks run our hobby I have heard there is not even a big wig in nhra that has ever been down the track in a car oh well ya know the coast is the center of the universe for all car stuff

13. bedeka

bedeka
    from california

hotrod40coupe, your reply to the breather mask ban was spoken like a true jack ass. Congradulations as, being a sacastic jerk has no time lines either.

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The biggest reason for the ban is that the mask and goggles are the only pieces of saftey gear that does not have a SFI rating(which all equp. must have in order to race), so call up your local safety equip manf and ask them "Why aren't they spending the 15 to 20 grand to get it certed so a handful of racers can use them?". The other problem is that in order for the helmet to sit properly one must modify the foam liner (which is not legal and will decertify a helmet) across the forehead because of the thickness of the padding otherwise the helmet sits about an inch higher and the chin strap is too short. Helmets today are different than 30-40 years ago.

15. bedeka

bedeka
    from california

Hey mazooma1 in response to your reply about the breather mask ban about it's all about going fast and dressing the part is for halloween then why do people spend thousands on paint jobs on their car's and custom painted helmets? Why have chrome or anodizing ect. Get the point. Breather mask's belong in nostalgia T/F and (and I am not the only one that feels that way) if the DRIVER chooses to wear one. Not because of a dictatorship decision.

16. bluemeanie

bluemeanie

We are also bummed out about the breather mask ban. Wearing a full face helmet does not feel very appealing!

17. bedeka

bedeka
    from california

Dreracecar, your response is a reasonable one but it doesn't justify banning them. The NHRA should spend the money to make the changes you say to make them up to snuff then. There making money off nostalgia drag racing now that it has grown so much in the last decade so why don't they respect tradition and spend the money if what you say is true and that is all there is to this ban.It is cheaper for the NHRA just to ban them. Jim Murphy and Brendan Murry and other still wore them until this friggin ban so how do you explain that. I still say that if you want to run nostalgic T/F then the breather mask goes with the territory. If you don't like it then drive a rear engine car and quit being a poser. Right Bluemeanie?

18. NWRacing

NWRacing

NHRA has been anti FED for years they only started the N/D class to keep them out of the other classes I have door cars that I built 15 years ago that re certify every time but my FED has to be re enginnered every time I re tag it. The facemask ban is just another way of trying to get everyone in cookie cutter cars.

19. bedeka

bedeka
    from california

One more thing Dreracecar about the helmets. Funny car drivers were still wearing the breather masks throught out decade of the 80's and early 90's. How do you explain that. If you were trying to retrofit a 30 or 40 year old helmet as you say then you make total sense. I stand firm that this decision is all political and because of the helmet manufactures that are part of the NHRA agenda just like the fire suit ban earlier this year that caught a whole class of drivers off gaurd and made them by new firesuits from a vendor that was already set up at the races. How coicidental.

20. stev8

stev8

Try this.......

Attached Files:

21. NWRacing

NWRacing

Still think the ban sucks but i LOVE that lid!

22. bedeka

bedeka
    from california

AAfuel34fordpu, I like your attitude and your response for real. I am not being sarcastic. I am a firm believer that the only reason NHRA got into nostalgic drag racing was to CONTROLL it.

23. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Yea, that's a a bummer............but...get creative, paint the helmet to look like you are in the mask...use a bit of it...............

Mark

24. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Absolutely...what I just said..

M.

Let it rock

25. bedeka

bedeka
    from california

Stev8, your the proof. where there is a will there is a way. All that's missing is a visor. Why the fuck hasn't anybody else painted there helmet like this. It doesn't change my view on the breather mask ban but I find it acceptable as it show's respect for tradition and upholds it as well.
    Good job Steve you and your helmet might just be the compromise to this sore subject

26. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

SFI wasnt in effect as much back then as it is now, We are totaly consumed by it now. Try and find a helmet that is legal and does not have the lower jaw extentions, that too makes fitment more difficult.Some racers do modify their gear, helmets included. If tech catches it-- then what?. I dont like a lot of things NHRA does, so far this year has cost me around $2500 in un-nessasry crap in order for me to race. Its their game- and there are three choices 1) follow THEIR rules 2)don't race 3) start your own raceing org.

Helmets have been painted like that since '96

27. bedeka

bedeka
    from california

Do you know the name of the company that sell the non-cert. masks. My buddy and I were thinking about wearing them during cacklefest at the hot rod reunion to show respect for an icon that is just as much a part of nostalgia drag racing as the car's themselves.

28. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

DEIST has them and I thought I saw that IMPACT was making them for cackle cars although nothing shows up on there catologe. Around $300-$400

29. owen_64

owen_64

Yes IHRA allows them, for this year. Let's hope that they don't follow the way of the NHRA. If anyone here listens to WFO Radio, I had asked the question on why they banned them. The NHRA guy said that "time and time again they have proven themselves unsafe". A few weeks before someone had commented on one of the funny car guys saying he felt unsafe(the one to complain has done horrible this year, while other cars have had few problems). A crew chief said, "if you dont feel safe, don't get in.", many people have agreed with this statement. One thing that did make sense that the NHRA guy (not a spokesman) said was that the insurance probably wouldn't let them. I am 19, I have a new Deist breather mask and goggles, and a Bob's Drag Chutes mask from late 60's early 70's. Which one do I wear? The original. Why, because it's a throw back to the drag racing greats.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507413 -- My dragster, few posts down my dragster at the track with the breather mask on.

http://www.thundervalleydragways.com/Rules.html -- Right side of screen they have a link to a PDF file of the 2010 IHRA rules, where you can find the rules regarding the breather mask.

To the helmet issue, The Zamp J-1 is, if I read the Jeg's catalog correct, a certified IHRA helmet. The problem? They are no longer being made and mainly have small and XXL sizes left.

30. Speedticket13

Speedticket13
    from Massillon

This is a lot like the nitro ban that the NHRA did years ago. People will begin to get away from the all high and mighty NHRA and start using the outlaw tracks. The nitro ban back fired for them back then just like this will probably back fire on them now. People like what they like plain and simple. Why mess with a good thing?