Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shops full, Look what the Wife brought home!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rokcrln, Apr 1, 2010.

1. rokcrln

rokcrln

Well my Wife and son to a trip into Sacramento today to pick up a 48" 12Ga Combination brake (with hard and soft edge fingers) and a 52" 16Ga stomp shear for me that I have been waiting on. I know not as cool as a new hot rod but with the rest of my tool arsenal I can now get started building my LFD RPU from scratch. I have another month or so let on a customers 41 Chevy PU then it looks like it will be full steam ahead on my Roadster PU. Only thing left to pick up is a nice vertical band saw. The cool thing is I just rearranged my shop in anticipation of these two pieces getting here so now I have room for all my tools and to work. I can still park two vehicles inside as well and my chassis table has a dedicated spot to stay so it is now bolted to the floor and laser leveled!

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

Attached Files:

• a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      62.2 KB
      Views:
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
    • a3.jpg
      a3.jpg
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
    • a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      File size:
      59.3 KB
      Views:
    • a5.jpg
      a5.jpg
      File size:
      62.3 KB
      Views:
    • a6.jpg
      a6.jpg
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
    • a7.jpg
      a7.jpg
      File size:
      79.4 KB
      Views:
    • a8.jpg
      a8.jpg
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
    • a9.jpg
      a9.jpg
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
    • a10.jpg
      a10.jpg
      File size:
      59 KB
      Views:
  2. 117harv

117harv

SICK shop, i'm jealous!

3. 067chevy

067chevy

4. You just can't have too many tools.

5. Dirty2

Dirty2

I give up .. You guys rule !

6. Sounds like she's a keeper. Congrats on the best score of all...a cool wife that will run car related errands!

Nice shop too.

7. rokcrln

rokcrln

Not only that but hauls the car trailer to get them, straps everything down and has it backed in the driveway when I get home from work! Yes she rocks and I am very lucky!

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

8. I'd give my left one for that one...

9. Hondo78

Hondo78

Good for you, my wife is a great one too, after looking at crap cars we found the 36 Chevy coupe complete un-molested sitting on blocks since 1967. Even though we have a few unfinished projects and could not afford such a project she said, "buy it at least it is all there". She was even willing to give up her car to get it if necessary. These gals, the lookers anyway are few.

Keep that one, close.

-R

10. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Some guys have it all!!!! Bet she's a looker too. :D

11. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

nice shop , what,s the deal on the brake ? never heard or seen a combination brake , who makes them and are they better then a typical finger brake ?

12. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Send the old lady to do all the heavy lifting. That's the way to do it.

13. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

nice shop.

14. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

What's your address? I'll be driving an empty U-Haul to your town and might like to stop by to see it. You don't need to be home.

15. daddylama

daddylama

damn, all my wife brings to me is more work for me to do...
    not even a sandwich.

lucky man. good looking shop, too...

16. Nice! now all ya need is to learn how to use it all!;)

17. I've seen the 3 to 4-door conversions you do on the 67-72's. I can't wait to see this!!

Oh! btw sweet shop!

18. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Wow rad shop!Hey you wouldnt happen to be the guy that is doing the roof on stowes coupe are ya?I was by there the other day checkin it out and I thought it was you he mentioned.

19. rokcrln

rokcrln

This brake has removable fingers and will do an 8" deep box. Remove the finger and the 49" blade slides forward for a standard 48" brake or you can get or make radius bars to replace the fingers and with the adjustably of this brake it can do smooth radius bends as well.

Clamp, jump and pull right!:D

If Stowe is Dave then yes I believe he wants the rear quarters replaced back to a coupe from the PU conversion that was done years ago, then a mild chop and to finish it up fill the roof with Waldens inserts. If it is not Dave then Nope not me! ;)

Also I think I forgot to mention both units are American made!! The shear is an old Wysong small industrial unit and the Combo brake is an old Roper Whitney unit that is still available today for the small sum of around $13,500:eek: I gave $3450 for the Combo and $1700 for the Shear. I think I did well on these two pieces.

And thanks for the comments on the shop. I am very fortunate to have found this place when we did and to have a Wife that loves what I can do with metal. My shop was the original Carriage house for Winters so it is cool that I am doing this kind of work here.

Oh yeah, she is Hot!

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

20. Isen't there and old saying "The guy who dies with the most tools wins" ???

21. rokcrln

rokcrln

Yeah Buddy! You know if I added up what I have spent just over the last 4-5 years on tools I could have bought one of the nicer rods out right for cash:(

But instead I spent it on tools so I can now repair and build for others as needed but the main thing is now I can bring some of my sketches to life as LFD rods. First will be the LFD Roadster PU, then ether the LFD Roadster or Sedan (for the family car) then some point after that will be a 3W and 5W. Their all are very loosely based on 32-36 coupes with all the points I like best for starters then my own tweaking from their. I think what I am looking forward to the most if working with new sheet metal and no rust! I have made all the money to fill my shop and support my car addiction mainly through rust!

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

22. zoomma

zoomma

Your my hero. Love the shop.:D

23. rustyhood

rustyhood

So thats what a real shop looks like. I am way to sheltered, I need to get out more!
    Nice! Congrats on making jobs easier!:rolleyes::D

24. nutajunka

nutajunka

Pat on the back goes out to you for not only picking good tools, but a good wife.

Attached Files:

25. sololobo

sololobo

My what big tools you have!! Really, great set up Bro, good luck on the RPU build. Very cool to have your lady helpin ya out, but a super key word in this story is, "my son", kids get all tied up playin video games and not gettin into the car scene these days. I was at my Bros shop the other night Mr. Hot Rod Lincoln" , Rob Lee. And his two young men "Crash" Robbie and "Guitaro" Alex, were wrenchin on bikes and it was cool to see them makin some custom cruisers, they are on the way to hot rod hell!! Cool post! ~Sololobo~

26. B Blue

B Blue

No, the guy that dies with the most tools is a dead SOB. HOWEVER, it is much better to have a shop full of tools and one rod than a yard full of "rods" and no tools.

You did good.

Bill

27. rokcrln

rokcrln

Yes my Son is going on 3 years old and is already out in the shop with my on occasion. He has a little plastic electric quad that he is always grabbing tools from my small box (the one he can reach) to "Fix my Bike" as he puts it. I also have built him a 51 Ford F1 PU that will be his first ride but for now we all enjoy it so he will know it as he grows up. Then their is his half scale version of my LFD RPU that I have started for him.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

Attached Files:

28. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

When it comes to hot rod stuff, my wife has no clue. Oh well. Some got it, and some don't.

29. rokcrln

rokcrln

Some times it is not a good thing that she is into it. I will be working on somthing and she will come out and say "Nope" you need to move this here or do that their! Me being a guy I tell her no it needs to be this way for this or that reason just to be right and she will say ok and leave. Then when I come in the house later she just asks "so how did my idea work out" and I will just give her a look and she knows she was right. She has a great eye for perportion and what looks right, so a blessing and a curse all in one. I'll keep her.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.