Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration stabilo pencils! Need pinhead opinions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Damn stabillo pencils leave all this crap behind! scratches or marks. Im done with these. Chalk is not as easy to work with but doesnt leave anything behind. Is there anything better than these 2? How about the one by staedler?

2. Can I get a whoa bundy! just kidding.

3. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

I'd just stick with chalk dude.
    I tried those pencils and they did the same thing to me. Now if you're going to clear coat over it, it's not AS noticible but annoying all the same. I think i'd just stick with the chalk.

1shot

4. Throughout the ages the answer has been pounce patterns.

5. I like the way chalk wipes off, I just hate the inconveniance of shaving a piece of chalk down and it not being as finely pointed as those damn stabilos.

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I don't know if this will work for you but I did a kraft project that I wanted to paint a cartoon type charactor on. I didn't know what to use so I grabbed a dry marker, the type of marker you use on a dry erase board, and drew the image and painted between the lines. I just wiped off the marker with a dry rag. Try it on a scrap piece and see how it works for you.

7. Well that's a new one! Nice thinkin out of the box bob!

8. tjackson

tjackson
    from Oregon

I haven't used staedler or chalk, only stabilos. I too have suffered the fate of stabilo lines that will not come off. Especially if you are using plexi glass. The only thing that I have found that works is just barely applying pressure when using stabilos. Plus I use Isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls to wipe the lines clean. You might want to try the colored stabilos, they seem to wipe off a little better.

9. BEAR

BEAR

i use a fabric pencil i get them at wal mart right by the pins

10. The only time I have a problem with a Stabilo(or a Staedler)is when it is applied over fresh paint and then it will mark the surface.The problem is ANYTHING used on fresh paint will mark the surface.

Try blunting the tip a bit before using it and apply a light pressure.To remove afterward I use glass cleaner or good old fashioned saliva(!).If you are not going to be clearing over the surface,try using a bit of liquid wax on a soft cloth.You can do this(if you are careful)as soon as the surface dries(about 3 hours on average).Test first to make sure it is dry.

11. I use thin tape and remove them as needed

12. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

what safari says is law when it comes to striping....no problems,but don't press hard.

of coarse you only need a center line,right?....lol

13. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I've used Stabilos and Staedlers for several years without any problems . I only use blue and white , don't use much pressure and only for a center line . For everything else I use my electro-pounce and make a pattern.

14. Learn to do it freehand...no patterns, chalk, stabilo, but if you gotta, crayons have always worked for me when the need arises.

Mikey did it
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com
    "Not perfect...Real"

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try 'Derwint', brand pencils but get the better quality ones, not cheap but a good medium. I have used them for years now and never had any of the problems you speak of.

Doc.

16. flypa38

flypa38

I've always had good luck with water soluble pencils........use light pressure and ever so slightly moisten the tip after each line. That makes it more like a paint pen than a pencil and doesn't scratch or dig in.
    Hope this helps!
    Johnny

17. Ah, I get it- Pinstripers..

18. Ray has it right. Light Pressure. I have had luck using warm soap and water to get the marks off. Glass cleaner works well too. I give people some 3M cleaner wax to clean it with after a couple days too. You could also try using a color pencil close to the color paint you are using.

19. skullhat

skullhat

iv'e always used stabilos. a damp rag , or a damp rag and ajax always wiped off the lines for me.

skull

20. I prefer the Stadler Omnichromes. Much more forgiving thanthe newer Stabilos...

21. JEPPA

JEPPA

ABSOLUTELY!!! Staedler Omnicrom pencils for the shiny surfaces.

22. cheddar

cheddar
    from missouri

after using stabilo try wiping gently over it with a tack clothe. it will leave pattern and get rid of left over. key word gently