Register now to get rid of these ads!

your choice for best clearcoat spray gun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rubyreddog, Apr 1, 2010.

1. I'm in the market for a new topcoat spray gun. (my Hoover Vacuum spray set finally gave up) Some say the Sata Jet 3000 RP is the one. What do you think?? also is the digital feature worth the extra $100.00??? Thanks. My compressor is a 5 h.p. dual stage unit.

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I have Sata 2000 digital's for both colorcoat and clearcoat (different tip sizes). I personally don't pay much attention to the digital readout. I go more by actual "feel". Sata builds a nice spray gun for sure, but they won't do anything that others can't do. The painter is 85% of the result, IMO.

I've had my guns for 7 or 8 years, and no problems. When I had my shop, a major paint company came in and left the Sata's for us. So, that being said,....the price was right. Stu

3. Personally, I say save your money on the sata 3000 rp it is a hoser. The 2000 was an excellent gun but the 3000 just missed the mark. I suggest the Iwata lph400 1.3 nozzle or the new devilbiss Tekna is actually the best gun they have had in a long time. I use both.

4. skullhat

skullhat

i have many satas, devilbiss plus, and devilbiss teknas, and an iwata.

i like the iwata for water, and use a tekna for larger water jobs.

for clear i reach for the tekna, with the clear nozzle and cap they reccomend. i agree that all the new guns are pretty good, its a matter of feel for the painter, but the tekna is a natural for clear coats

skull

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I bought a used Sata NR2000 just for clear coating about a year ago....I've used it just a few times..it sprays pretty good, a little better than the cheapie Cornwell gun I usually use for most jobs...which I still use on misc stuff.
    But if I gotta use alot of paint....I've yet to use a gun that sprays as nice as my Binks Mach 1. But it's not conveinent for most work I do, as it's on 25' of line and a 2 gallon pressure pot.
    There's more to getting a good clearcoat finish than the gun....technique and the paint "mix" play a bigger role than the gun....

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I have a 3000 RP and while it lays out great and is way comfortable for big jobs, I do feel my 2000 RP laid it out a little bit better. I might actually pick up another 2000 and do one coat with each to see. Either gun is still top notch and the comparsion I'm making is very very slim. If I had to only have one, it'd be the 3000.

7. I use a Sears 4995. that's $49.95. and have won awards on vehicles I have painted. Sprayed candy and base clear and bass boat flake w/it. I'll never spend big money on a gun, unless it takes bullets.

8. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

i use the Sata Jet 90-2 and RP guns with 1.4 tip and love them. I spray base,clear and even Dupont Imron at work with them.

9. Master of None

Master of None

I have a SATA RP its OK but I prefer my 3m P.P.s gun that i have set up as a compliant. Its a in between on a hvlp and a rp and it has the bonus of being capable of painting upside down with out spilling.

10. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm probably going to m people cringe saying this, but I bought a $99 gravity feed unit at Advance auto between coats on a job because my old gun crapped out in the middle of the paint job. It's been a great gun for the price. I paint maybe 6-12 cars a year these days and it works great for that.

11. poorboy87

poorboy87

DeVilbiss Finishline works great for me. Can change tips from 1.3 up to 2.2. I think i paid like $150 for mine with a 1.3 1.5 1.8 tips

12. Well there is certanly no shortage of views here. Thanks to all for your advice. I'm going to look into the Tekna.