Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gotta overdrive question for Willys Jeep guys out there

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CJ Steak, Apr 1, 2010.

1. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I just got a lead on an overdrive for my '62 Willys 4x4 pickup and think I can get a good deal. It's a cable operated OD and its in a '59 Willys wagon.

2 questions-

1. Do you guys think the spline count is the same between both transfer cases?

2. Is it easy to convert a cable OD to a floor shift OD?

I don't really want a cable operated OD, I'd much rather have another shifter sticking out of the floor... but an OD would be damn nice for the Roundup and other long distance highway driving coming up.

The 226 "Super Hurricane" flatty is more like a "Tropical Depression" with a max cruising speed of 45mph. :rolleyes:

-Chris

2. rocnroll

rocnroll
    from alabama

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

What rocnroll said - if it didn't come with it originally, it will be be a messy conversion...the Warn or Saturn will be much simpler.

4. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Ok, thank you guys. My memory is starting to come back to me from when I researched these things about 3 years ago. I think I was told that if I wanted to run a cable operated BW OD I would have to change out the transmission/transfer case and go to a shorter drive shaft.

Damn. This OD could've been bought for next to nothing. And I'm not willing to change up that much stuff "just" to have OD... I'll look for a Warn.

-Chris

5. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Advance Adapters also gives info on spline counts in diff years also has saturn overdrive. never forget days of stock tires and top speed of 50

6. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Thanks for the tip outlaw.

Is that a Ford bed on your truck? Post a bigger pic of it here if you can. Your truck looks beautiful!

Light years ahead of my poor old farm truck ha ha...

7. rocnroll

rocnroll
    from alabama

One other thing....the B/W would just be used as an OD (in 2WD) the Warn/Saturn (the Saturn BTW, is just an improved/more modern version of the out of production Warn)

That said though, the Warn although useful as an OD is as useful if not more useful as a gear splitter......that is, it can be used in 2WD or 4WD, 4high or 4low, it doesn't care.

8. rocnroll

rocnroll
    from alabama

If you go to that link I posted and scroll down about halfway, there is a picture you can click on of a converted B/W.