Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Turning a "Rat Rod" :( into a Hot Rod :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyWoody28, Feb 20, 2010.

1. roddinron

roddinron

Damn Grasshopper, that really looks GOOD! And I generally don't like home made woodies. I really like it with the hood, what a transformation!

2. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

If one of you photoshop gurus could lower it 4" that would be awsome. Thats the plan for next winter. and if possible put a set of 8.20s or 8.50s on the rear

3. oldmuleskinner

oldmuleskinner
    from CHICAGO

wow! i like it. more creativity than i could muster

4. Steve

Steve

wait, someone actually drove what you started with on the road? The rebuild is looking good though

5. AA.classics

AA.classics

very cool reserection!!

6. Well, I am a dumb ass so you don't need to listen to me. But if it were my car I would paint the hood black to match the car and chrome the front grill shell. May look weird if the hood and grill shell are black.

7. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

nope, I built it like the original woodys were built, and it is very strong, there are wooden cross beams down the whole inside.

8. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Frikin funny!

9. I am sorry but that still looks like a 6th grade shop project.

10. I think it looked better before.:(

11. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

X2. maybe if it was lower...alot lower.

12. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

so it could be a "rat rod" like your 69 f100 that your probably gonna paint flat black with white walls and red wheels and a bunch of gay ass pinstriping. That would be awsome, or not

here we go

13. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Just cruised through this thread...way to go man...it's looks good...way better than before. it used to look like one of those rat rod toys they sell to retards at wal mart.
    Keep it up.

14. Then why are you even looking at this thread. Look at something else. I like it and so do most people posting on this thread. You have to admit this is a lot of work and the guy is a skilled craftsman. I could not do this good of work.

15. HotRod33

HotRod33

Run a full hood on it .... it's looking good.......
    I don't think I have seen a post of yours where you have liked anything....

16. themachine

themachine

its looking good man!!!

17. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

If you could post some pics of the inside that wood (pun intended) be great.

Thanks
    TBone

18. looking really good, nice improvement

19. Because I was hoping to see an improvement.

Au contrare. Here is an oddball car but the guy NAILS it. Stance is everything. I dig it, see my post.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461375&highlight=renault

20. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Its all in your opinion man, I like things that don't fit the mold, I like the stance high, hot rods are built to serve a purpose, your purpose is to fit in and be cool by having something that everyone likes, thats fine I don't mind. My purpose is to raise hell, go fast, and not care about "looks", it dosn't matter what anyone thinks I'm still gonna do what I want. If you look at old pics (30s,40s) of hot rods they didn't do it for the look, they did it to go fast and have fun. I know you've been on this site for a long time and feel that you have the right to be a dick, maybe you do, sorry If my car dosn't meet your popularity contest. My neighbor at my old shops father built his first hot rod in 38, when he seen my car the first thing he said was "wow, that looks like something that we would have done when I was a kid" he walked around the car for at least a half an hour in amazement.

21. Tin lizzy

Tin lizzy
    from Ireland

hell,i dont like hot rods,but damn,that ride looks awesome...

22. Wikster

Wikster
    from Phoenix

Great rescue, keep the pics coming!

23. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I just want to thanks to Mitchell, HotRod33, pop, Tbone, and the others who have been following this thread for all the support and help so far. Its people like you guys who make hot rodding what it is. Perfect example: read HotRod33s profile, that is what makes it all worthwile.

Thanks!!!!
    Steve

24. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

I dig it! Hellfire man, you built that body from scratch? I'm sure the same guys who don't like your project won't like mine either, I don't really care 'cause I'm building it for me.

Have you considered adding some kind of hardwood inserts in the stained areas, something with a nicer grain?

25. I am curious as to why you stepped the frame, then built that weird reversed crossmember. Was the frame already stepped and you wanted it higher? what are your plans for the window frames? are you just going to leave it with the plywood level with the sill or are you going to cap it off?

btw just because I liked it better before, doesn't mean I don't like it now.

26. Steve

Steve

I admire the work that's gone into it and can't wait to see it done. Something just looks a little off to me, I think it may be the roofline.

27. Rocketile

Rocketile
    from USA

Well at least you got more head room out of it.... now your beverage wont hit the roof when you are trying to drain the last drops....:D

28. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Interesting, While I would not say you turned a Rat Rod into a hot rod, just a nicer looking rat rod, I am intrigued, I would like to see less hard angles in the back, Should be cool to see once complete.

29. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

HotRod33 asked the same thing earlier in the thread, the reason It is stepped is because the frame sticking out under the body in the back looks weird, and that crossmember is made to get it to that height and if I decide to lower it I made it easy to cut off and drop 4". The windows are going to have a 1" stop that will hold the glass on the outside, I will wet seal the glass in, and then another stop inside.

It looked ok before but it was poorly built, so either way it had to be rebuilt.

thanks man!!!

30. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

whats your definition of "rat rod"?