Register now to get rid of these ads!

death wobble on my 31

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racerx1962, Mar 31, 2010.

1. racerx1962

racerx1962
    from new york

ok so i drove my rod for the first time and got a hell of a death wobble .got a speedway straght axle HELP

2. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

hOW MUCH AIR IN THE FRONT TIRES??

4. John T. Hodgen

John T. Hodgen

does it come from bumps in the road or out of the blue when driving normal? If its the later the caster maybe wrong. I had a straight axle that had been put in backwards giving it neg caster instead of postitive. While driving down the road all the sudden it felt like it was trying to go thru the pavement and go either left/right. Dropping the axle and turning it around solved my problem. Hope you get it fixed, it frightening driving not knowing.

5. nutajunka

nutajunka

Alot of death wobbles lately.

Attached Files:

• 8531.jpg
      8531.jpg
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
  6. racerx1962

racerx1962
    from new york

ok igot all new parts in front end goy bike tires with wires and about 28psi .It onley happens at about 50mph wen i let off the gas .

7. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

I had my front wheels break loose sometimes going over a set of tracks, or a small bump. Put new king pins in and it was fine. You wouldn't think that would happen with a new front end but it's possible. My 31 Ford Coupe had a 283 Chevy, three speed on the floor and a 57 Chevy rear end the year was 1968 wish I had it today. Good luck I hope you find the problem real soon. No wobble is good that's for sure but It's better to have a high speed wobble with 4 wheels on the ground then 2 going 95 miles.

8. 40chevythrowensparks

40chevythrowensparks

how do you have the front end set up pics???

9. Larry T

Larry T

My Anglia used to do that when I let off the gas, too much camber.
    Larry T

10. racerx1962

racerx1962
    from new york

her are sum pics just remember my first build

Attached Files:

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Does it start at 50 and go away at around 55?

12. racerx1962

racerx1962
    from new york

going 50 and let off and it happens

13. metal man

metal man

What is your caster angle? Hard to tell from the pics but looks like you may not have enough. Should be 7 to 10 degrees.

14. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

what kind of steering are you using? is it traditional or a cross steer? If its traditional like using an F1 box, you may be experiencing what is called bump steer.... It only happens in just the right circumstances. a sure fire way to ellimanate this is get a steering dampaner. It connects to the tie rod to the axel, and acts like a shock absorber. It usually mounts behind the grill shell so its out of view. I believe speedway sells them

later
    Chris

15. nick28

nick28
    from Kentucky

Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like you have little to no caster in the axle. have you measured you caster with an angle finder? I would do that and see what it is.... There are a lot of recommendations but it seems somewhere around 5-7 degrees is the norm. That being the top of axle "layed" back towards the back of the car.

16. zgears

zgears

camber-caster issue.

17. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

It doesn't look like you have enough caster, but it is a photo and that sort of thing can be hard to gauge from a picture.

I'd check the caster (like mentioned above) and the toe in/ out on your front tires. You want them toed in a bit, the faster you go the more they toe out. If the toe out too much you'll get a wobble at high speeds.

18. racerx1962

racerx1962
    from new york

it is traditional steer and a ross box out of a willys wagon and i will check the caster and toe and let you no . i work on cars all day and cant figer this out

19. Toner283

Toner283

Good luck on the fix. My dad & I have been chasing a similar issue for a year & have not worked it out yet. Here is a link to my thread, might find some idea's there that will help you. Please post up the solution if/when you find it.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375262

20. recommended caster is commonly 7 degrees, toe-in is typically 1/16" for bias plies or 1/8" for radials,i didn't see a panhard bar either up front,that'll control your side to side movement,so-cal makes a steering dampener that'll help with bump steer,those speedway axles are cheap chinese,i would have an alignment shop check your measurements for sure.

21. also,when your drivin,reach 50mph then if you can shift the trans into neutral or push the clutch in and let the car roll without engine powering it,that'll help determine if it's driveline,suspension,u-joints etc..then rev the enginewhile still at speed, if you feel the vibration then,then it's engine/trans/u-joint related not suspension..just my 2 cents

22. r600

r600

Is the wobble in the steering wheel not the car?if its in the wheel like other posters have said i'll be a caster problem,caster give steering stability,check tyres for out of round and also get the wheels balanced on the car,i'd run 1/4 cambers and 5-7 degrees caster and toe around zero to a little in .cheers adrian

23. racerx1962

racerx1962
    from new york

My wobble is in the steering wheel i an going to take the car to work and put it on the alignment rack and check it . And no i dont have a panhard bar in the front .

24. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

i see your pics are mockup..those motorcycle tires are a directional tire and on the sides there are arrows and you need to swap driver to passenger for proper direction..also 28 psi is not enough depending on brand and what it says on side you need more pressure. they look like dunlops to me. I'm NOT SAYING THIS IS THE PROBLEM BUT SHOULD BE CORRECTED.. hope this helps:D