Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'd sell myself if I had to for my kids and family, and trust me, any superficial material things like hot rods, etc. would be gone way before that if needed.

2. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

You could adopt. I know several people who would be willing to call you "dad". :D

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

No matter how much I'm hurting for $$$, I have a pair of cars that will leave my posession only when I die......or when my son turns 16...whichever comes first.
    $$$ is easier to come by than the cars and what they mean to me and my family.....

4. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

what are they?

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Does it really matter?:p:D They are OT.....and hold ALOT of sentimental value that's just too hard to explain.....

6. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Understood :cool:

7. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

My 1931 Ford my father built in the mid 50's. I still have it and it is the same as he built it. It is my profile picture.

8. 40chevythrowensparks

40chevythrowensparks

my 40 chevy is priceless...me and my dad would work on it together...hes gone now and never got to drive or enjoy it so im doing that for him now...this might sound weird but when i would mix up filler i would put some of his ashes in with is so he became part of the car and i feel that hes always riding with me...no mater what the car would never get sold just passed down...

9. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Say what ya want, ain't NO money gonna buy my wife's '49 Ford. Her Mom and Dad "courted" in a blue '49 Ford back in '51. They were married the next year and kept that car for quite a few years. Over our many years together, we've heard many stories that revolved around that car and we knew they still had a love for their old Ford.

For their 50th Anniversary, we bought one exactly like the one they used to own and gave it to them. This car has 70,000 actual miles and is original in every way! (It was a marathon event just to get it here, get it tuned-up, cleaned up and ready to drive to their Anniversary party, but what a great surprise it was!)

Anyhow, last year her Dad gave the car back to us, as he just can't go like he used to. Shortly after, I made a remark that included "Chopping it, and installing Red Steelies" and I learned real quick that it'll never get a "haircut", and it will never change hands. Yeah, it's pretty cool being married to a chick that's as big of a car nut as I am.

10. Had a friend that wanted a Ferrari from the time he was about 6 years old and had a slot car of one. Said he would always own one and started saving right then. When he turned 30 he bought a very nice Lusso (steve McQueen had one) for what seemed like an awful lot of money, just under $100,000. I asked him if it was worth it and what now. He said it was magnificent, all that he dreamed, and more and there is no way no how that he would ever sell it.
    Well in the late 80's Ferrari's went ballistic on pricing and when offered 1.8 million for it, Sayanorra baby, it went to Japan!
    He's been sorry ever since, the money's mostly gone (but he does have a nice house) and even now he couldn't afford another one even though the bottom fell out of the market.
    Never say Never. And all things must pass

11. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

My '37 Ford wagon. I learned to drive in it in '59.

12. What a stupid Fuckin Statement. I guess Doane Spencer must have been a chainer, how about Bob Hirohata or Karl Orr. Those folks had more than one car
    Calling it like it is since 1956 ;)

13. Over 40 yrs ago I'd daydream about a fastback Vette, blue with blue tinted glass, and nose up attitude. Well, about 6 yrs ago I finally built that car. I figure I'd prolly sell it if someone gave me triple what it's worth. 2 parts of that would go into building another, and the 3rd part would be for the hassle. So, basically, not for sale, 'cause I ain't lucky enough to get triple for anything.

[​IMG]

14. From age 6 to 30 he saved $100.000? Was he mowing lawns for the Rockefellers?:D

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

WOW.....Groucho has a "keeper"?
    Love that fucker....(the Vette..haha)

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

He could probably track that exact same Ferrari down now and get if for under $500K pretty realistically. But, still, that is one hell of a nice Ferrari and I would love to have one as well. This one is not too far away from me. Want me to go check it out for him?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964...ewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1c11088757

17. Hahaha, 2 actually.....for now. I've had this one over 2 years with no plans to sell... a lifetime in Grouchland:D

[​IMG]

18. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Well, I have had my '42 pickup, Kirby, for over 15 years now and unless there is someone out out there willing to part with a pretty sizable chunk of cash, it will remain under my ass...

Attached Files:

19. I've had a few english bikes, a 1950 AD, a 62 VW and let them go to get married and start a family, same with some other "pieces". IMHO they are only material "fill" pieces of a life, just like a puzzle, pieces can be picked back up and the puzzle started over. However the corners and border pieces like family are essential and those pieces hold the rest of the mess together.

The only one I wouldn't part with for money is the 32 truck we are building for my dad. Now what he does with it is his deal...

20. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

yea my old 1968 t-bucket

21. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thank You Again for the many great stories coming forth! I tried to word the thread as carefully as I could. I stated that family comes first and there might be silly high offers that would be hard to ignore. But the point is that a lot of us are very happy with the rod/classic we own and won't trade off or sell except as a last resort if at all.

I've had the one I'm still working on for over 10 years now and am no where near bored with it. There's always a way to make it a little different and new somehow. I wish I had the wonderful experience of a car handed down from a good friend, family or loved one as many of you have. This just happened to be the one I searched long and hard for and became special when so many people said it brought back memories of one they had. It's the next best thing to sharing it with family...

[​IMG]

22. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

My 54 Ford, blown and injected.

Attached Files:

23. 296moon

296moon
    from england

My truck. Cos its Ours and always will be. [​IMG]

24. I've wanted a '49 Merc since I was a little kid. Finally got one in 2005 and it will stay with me as long as i'm breathin!!! I've been offered twice what I have in it and said "NO",without hesitation! I've had over 55 cars...but this one, is the one!
    [​IMG]

25. Deathtrap Kustoms

Deathtrap Kustoms

Known alot of guys that had their "won't ever sell car", but when it gets down to the car or making a few more mortgage payments and eating for chriss sake, cars gotta go.

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I bet you won't part with that shirt either.:D...classic!!!

27. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I know what you are saying Deathtrap. I've known several that have done just that. And almost everyone of them has regretted it and wished they'd found another way. Just didn't seem to make enough difference and then they lost both the home and the car. But desperate times are here. Starting to see signs for the better and hope it continues..................

28. HAHA! My wife hid it somewhere! Maybe she'll give it back,if I promise not to wear it again,LOL....

29. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

There it is! That's the one that made my day. I can sleep now.

30. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

My wife ( seecond marrage) both of us lost our spouse's to Cancer. She has a 38 Chev that she bought and turned into a hot rod in 1985, doing most of the work except the running gear. Her then husband didn't like it and never helped her. I would never let her sell this car and I work on it all the time to bring it up to the condition that it needs to be. It is not worth a lot but to us it is worth a million dollars.