Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can Inlines sound good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mysta2, Mar 31, 2010.

1. So all, I'd love to hear some sweet encouragement for my I6 project, mine's stock and sounds like a sewing machine (62 ranchero). Any videos/sound clips of naturally aspirated inlines that sound as good as a tweaked V8? Different of course, but as good.

Lay em out, let's see what 'cha got.

2. 40chevythrowensparks

40chevythrowensparks

i have a o/t 68 toyota jf 40 with the 3.9 i6 with a header and true duals it sounds just like a v8 at idle and a bumble bee at higher rpm.... ill try to get some sound clips of it

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

As much as I'll get "hated on" for saying this....there is NO 6 cylinder engine that will ever sound as good as a hot V8......IMO....
    Race prepped Porsche aircooled flat 6's come close....they're kinda "inline"...haha.

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Split exhaust 6's have a very cool sound all their own.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Check out the "split manifold" thread, and SinisterCustom.......you're a commie.

6. papanapa

papanapa
    from missouri

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Wrong country.....:p;)

And yeah...........I know........:D

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/smyHCN2DNC8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/smyHCN2DNC8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My flatty sounds pretty bitchin

10. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

chevy 250ci in a '67 camaro, cammed, split headers, 4 barrel, flattops, decked to .000 - sounds awesome - runs low 9s

11. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

you know,i'm a small block chevy man from birth ,i think.but a i6 or 8 split pipe/header with a good cam sounds pretty damn wicked!! jmho.i've said it once and i'll say it again iwish i had kept the 6banger in my 59 elky. just because its not a s/b

12. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

"Can inlines sound good"??? Can they not??!!
    Nothing sounds quite like - and nearly as sweet
    - as a radically built inline-6, screaming it's brains
    out, going through the traps at 7000-plus rpm!!
    Absolute music! :) :)

Mart3406
    ==============================

13. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I had a badass 235 with a split manifold and 2.5in exhaust through cherry bombs. the pipe was big enough it didn't get that "bomb lowrider" cackle and pop. The little Chev had a 4bbl and huge cam as well. It would outrun most 350/350 combos and always had people askin what was under the hood.

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, guys. Those videos pretty-much answer the question! LOL! WOOOOOHOOOOO!

SinisterCustom...ya change your mind at all?...:D

15. gas pumper

gas pumper

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Nope....sorry......:p Fast, yes.....sound as good as a "tweaked" V8? Nope...
    There's not an engine sound on this planet better than the sound of a hot V8. I'm sure I'm alone on this....I'm a weirdo.....

17. hehehehehehehehehe:D

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Na...I hear ya, Sinister. May not change that you're a weirdo...but I hear ya. LOL.

19. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I've built several inline 6's that sounded great. High compression, long tube headers, big cam, and an original Flowmaster 40 will have everyone fooled at idle. At 4000+ it doesn't sound like a bumble bee, but an exotic 60's import. I had a 300 Ford, full N/A build that sounded like a Ferrari at 6000+ RPM. Hard to believe, but it's true.

Any inline six with a glass pack, smithy, chambered exhaust, whatever will sound like a buzz box. Some dig it and it's a "traditional" sound, but I prefer the sound of a Flowmaster 40. They sound wicked when backing off the gas from 6 grand and letting the pipes scavenge...

Just my opinion.

-Chris

Jeep 258 long tubes 2x Flowmaster 40's

200 long tubes, dual Flowmaster 40's

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

Is the question, "can inlines sound good", or "can inlines sound like a V8?"

Inlines can sound killer! I love to hear a straight six rapping out. When my 194 was on the run-in stand it sounded like a freakin' airplane engine. I loved it. I can't wait to hear it screaming through the new header.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  21. raaf

raaf

i have always loved the brappp appp ppapp.

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Coolest sound in the world, bar none...I had a '57 Chev in HS...way back in 1960...had a six with an early Corvette split manifold on it...got my share of noise infraction tickets...still love that sound...

R-

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Street wise, split manifold, duals and Smitties or Porter steel packs.

It's all about the sweet rap of a set of six cylinder duals and not about how loud or how much you shake the ground when you fire it up.

That little Falcon in post 21 has too much ring in the pipes with the Flowmasters and not the mellow sound you get with the right glass or steel packs. Great for a Street Machine but not the classic six cylinder custom car sound.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  24. irv0004

irv0004

This is my early falcon ute, much similar to your ranchero. It's a 250 with a 2V head on it, and I split the stock headers, which were on the aussie 2V engines :)

(i hope this video works)

http://www.youtube.com/v/9Yc87FXmTPM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1">
    name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><EMBED type="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" src="<a href=" target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube.com" www.youtube.com http:>http://www.youtube.com/v/9Yc87FXmTPM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405">

(if not)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yc87FXmTPM</EMBED>

25. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I agree - an inline with a split manifold - great sound - nothing like it ( as long as there's a cam and some compression there too. A v6 with any kind of exhasut - God Awful/ They should have the biggest quietest muffler available. I have a neighbor with some kind of import with loud exhaust - what a piece of crap.

26. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

My 49 dodge with a split would would wake the whole neighborhood at 2 AM as I came home down a 1/4 mile side street. I found out when I graduated and the school secretary at school wrote in my year book that she was glad I was gone so she could get some sleep.

27. HOOKER HOT ROD

HOOKER HOT ROD

28. HOOKER HOT ROD

HOOKER HOT ROD

29. hkestes

hkestes