Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cragar SS and whitewalls???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XOFMOT, Mar 27, 2010.

1. mac762

mac762

What car are these going on? I like just about any tire on a Cragar wheel. Those double pinner piecrusts that I've seen would be very neat.

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Check out the tread "Hot Rods with cycle fenders" and check out post #24. All you wanted was some examples but some people are not happy unless they have something to B&M about.

3. mac762

mac762

I'm pretty sure my old hotwheels case had a Cragar mag, with a redline tire on it?

4. 55chevy

55chevy

Lotsa opinions, don't like S/S with WW myself, put some shiny hubcaps on those wheels, moons look good.

5. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Go for it......I just ordered 4 Cragar s/s wheels for my ride...and I'm leaving the WW facing out!

[​IMG]

6. I already voiced my opinion once.
    Here are some more pix... like you asked for.
    Bil

Attached Files:

7. ryno

ryno

well that makes sense, it will fit the rest of your car.

my 2 cents, white walls work with hub caps but not mags.
    some coupes look good with mags and ww, but not 60s big body cars.
    any style build with a 60's car is going to look wrong. redlines, pinners, shit even vogues will fit nicely.

every ass hole has an opinion, and you did ask!

8. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Not SS's but Star Wires on Vogues make my pants fit funny...

SS's on Redlines have a similar effect...

9. 61 chevy

61 chevy

Here's what my white letter tires look like on Cragars

Attached Files:

10. Plowboy

Plowboy

I went to the local tire shop to get my tires mounted for the Punk. Of course I went in there and the tire guy asked why I didn't get my wheels and tires from him. The conversation went like this:

Tire Guy: Well, why didn't you get your wheels and tires here?
    Me: You can get Astro Supreme Wheels?

Tire guy: Yeah...... well they are American Racing torque thrusts but they are the same.

Me: I don't think so. Those are aluminum and these are straight spokes with chrome.

Tire Guy: Well they are close enough. I could have got you those tires too.

Me: You can get Radir Whitewall Cheater slicks?

Tire guy: Well, they are Hoosiers.

Me: Not even close. Just mount and balance what I have.

Tire guy: You want those tires (Coker Bias) on those wheels? You know what that will look like don't you? (with a derogatory tone)

Me: My buddy has the same wheels and tires combo on his car and it was just on the cover of Rod and Custom so I guess it can't look that bad can't it?

So if it were up to the tire guy, the Atomic Punk would have American Racing Torque thrust wheels with Hoosier white letter radials on it.....Awesome!

What does this have to add to this post? Nothing at all. I don't mind whitewalls on Cragar SS's but I prefer the narrower ones than the wide ones. And only on a custom or custom rod, not a hot rod.

11. dannyego

dannyego

you guys are gay.... It looks good on most cars. An aquired taste..maybe..

12. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Just mounted up my rear WW tires on S/S's....Still have to do the fronts..but so far I like it and that's all that matters to me!

Attached Files:

13. Ebert

Ebert

Call me an old fuck, but wasn't this site supposed to be about TRADITION? Sure, any of us can "do what we want" but if you are asking what works TRADITIONALLY, the Cragar/3" WW does not get it done friends! Just tired of many on here "banging the drum" that we need to keep things TRADITIONAL and ooops...this is okay because "we can do what we want." The builder SHOULD do what he wants!!! Just don't expect some of us on here who were "there" in this period to agree....that's all! Which way guys?????

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

WWs and SWs on Cragar rims is not a "NEW" idea! It's been around since the Cragar 5-spoke hit the market. You're talking 40 some years. So if that is not "TRADITION" then what is? Or are we just being selective here. Beside the orginal tread was just about looking for some photos, to get an idea of how WWs and Cragars look together.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

not according to the old guys I know... you didn't run wide whitewalls on them period. I'll cut some slack with the skinnies or pinner whites. That's a 60's look, but supremes look better.

17. just curious, how old r u?

18. I agree completely....

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I am 52 , born in Oct 1957 and from My experience and learning from my brothers (age 62 and 61) and their friends, there were cars running WW and Cragars. I would see them at car shows & on the streets. And of course lowriders were running Cragars, Rockets, or Supremes with skinny whites.
    we fixed up our cars the way we liked. We had a saying "Why be the caboose when you can be the engine.I am sure you had a different experience but don't forget, it's a big country so people are bound to remember things according to where they grew up. I was born and raised in socal by the way. And like I mention before. The guy wasn't asking for permission just some examples.
    And by the way, not everyone was running WWs and Cragars but they were out there. And to use as a example of how "Tradition" gets screwed up, I don't remember seeing any "BlueDot" taillights but they are considered "traditional" today.

20. I was just curious if your comment was fueled by experience, or hear-say. I too am around your age (55) and remember it differently. But, that's not the issue. I'm just tired of 20 year olds telling me how it "was", and claiming that they're "old school" with a Holley blue fuel pump and regulator in plain view on their snot rods;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  21. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Would you wear a tuxedo with brown shoes?
    Same-O
    Same-O

22. I wouldn't wear a Tuxedo.....period:D. But, if somehow forced to, I'd wear Winos or Vans with it:p

23. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

There WAS a time when I declared this look impossible to pull off.
    Now, as of late...I notice I feel differently...perhaps it is just being sick of all other combinations, I don't know, but...in general, I guess I still think it's flirting with disaster, however, on the cars that I have seen pull it off, it REALLY pulls it off.
    It succeeds very well, in the event it doesn't fail miserably???
    I don't even understand what I mean....fuck it....
    Hell, I'm about to put 'em on some Salad Shooters! :eek:

24. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Some of my friends like it.

Some of my friends don't like it.

I'm gunna stick with my friends!

(....I'm not a fan though...but I respect your decision)

25. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

SS’s were run on three kinds of cars

1. Drag cars w black tires.
    2. Hot Rods - muscle cars w black tires and rarely w red or gold lines. (sometimes old farts would run reg whites and it made me vomit)
    3. Low Riders (reversed / deep dish ) w med or thin whites ONLY !

And if you were a low rider and couldn’t afford SS’s you got Astros

26. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

My buddy is running cragar's with 520's 5/8ths wite wall. Looks bad ass.

27. This may have nothing to do with anything...........But, I wrote this in a PM to someone, and thought I'd share. The word tradition came up, and I don't recall using that word here. BUT, around the time SS's/Supremes came around, fat whites were just about "done". The world was moving on to pinner whites, red lines, black walls, Blue Streaks, and eventually raised white letters. So, if some of you think fat whites on chrome spoke mags is "tradition"? I doubt it. I know that's not what this thread's about. But, neither are many of our posts;)

28. man its been years since i last saw a Ford Consul Capri 315!!...Kool little ride!...still a few of these cruising around in New Zealand, John in AZ

29. Muttley

Muttley

I couldnt have said it any better.

30. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Welcome to the wonder world of "free to join" internet forums.....While the HAMB was formed for "traditional" hot rods....the open door to everyone is also an open door to non traditional thoughts and ideas. I was born in the late 60's and have no input on what was going on in that era other than what my matchbox cars looked like. I've always been a person who beleived that an individual should do what they "LIKE" but not to jump in and claim tradition when it was not. Either way...I'm running WW on S/S's :)