Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Back to Flemington.....Rich

Attached Files:

2. Bob Higman got the Ross Steering gear. That's what sold him on those. Took a beating no Schroeder box could.

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I haven't heard any of them...? Fill me in.

Thanks,

J Shaw

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Maybe Roy C. could ask Watson the next he sees him. I would think he might have some reliable insight.

5. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

I thought the Gutzweiler car was the Sweikert car. This was the same car that Stan Bowman was killed in at terra Haute in 1962.

Sweikert's widow held that the car was cut up/destroyed, but that may have been just to hide the lineage IMO.

Leon Clum, Bobby Marshman drove the car, had a chevy in it.

i also thought this was discussed somewhere in the 520 page thread
    , but maybe i have the site confused in the old gray matter.

Comparing pictures of the two cars shows great similarity.

http://picasaweb.google.com/WalterZ...ionTrackTerreHauteIndiana#5159988878634389266

I think this is Jud larson

I have been wrong before , just throwing this out there.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

7. CARMENDER

CARMENDER

8. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

9. wynns #1

wynns #1

I know that Stan claims to have the car, but I am not sure having heard the same thing as you guys. I also heard that the Al Unser car driven by John Capels (won at Hamburg,NY) could be the car.
    Does anyone know if Hollywood Spring Co. is still in business?

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

A final batch from Flemington....Rich

Attached Files:

11. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's a few from Reading from my uncles collection....Rich

Attached Files:

12. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

An episode of the JAN & KENNY SHOW....Rich

Attached Files:

13. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

I believe that the car Capels drove was the old ECCA car from CRA, which had been bought by the Unsers, who still have it in their museum. Sweikert car reportedly bought by Diz Wilson for parts; rest (without engine) sold to Clyde Gutzwiller (G&J Engineering). Gus Hoffman got engine. I can't presonally confirm any of the Sweikert car details.

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Rallie AlamillosoldHollywood Spring to a gentleman who I think I have seen post on H.A.M.B. He may well respond to your question. He has produced a midget spring but at this point really isn't in production. He was acquiring some more equipment and was also very busy with his main business.

He is an enthusiast and has a KK2000 I believe he's restoring and a V8-60? midget.

[SIZE=+0]http://hollywoodspringandaxle.com/[SIZE=+0] [/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]His partial reply to me last May..."however you are right I am not trying to sell from the site, just trying to [SIZE=+0]get a little core site together for if and when I do want to sell some [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]springs."[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

15. wilburshawfan

wilburshawfan
    from Indiana

Some one ask a few pages ago about the Impact suits. I work at IMS as a firefighter, well officially we're called track rescue now, and the speedway bought many Impact suits for us a few years back. We have Simpson suits too.

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

You got an E-mail for him? There is no "Contact" info on his site..

I'd like to talk to him about his KK2000

J Shaw

17. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

post #10331. thanks rich, really enjoyed these...

18. Sprintmik

Sprintmik

Hank's blue car, not sure who is driving this day.
    Tampa pits 1971, Herman Wise talking to a group including Bob Shaw

Attached Files:

19. deucemac

deucemac

Hollywood Spring & Axle closed their doors a couple of years ago. Vintage Air bought the name and hot rod chassis builder Derek Bower bought the sign which hangs in his shop now.. They reworked a '37 pickup rear spring for my roadster as one of their last jobs. Worked great until last week when a spring eye fractured as I crossed a dip in the road near my house. Now have to go shopping for a spring shop to make a new main leaf.

20. racer5c

racer5c

Bet ya wont be wearing them this May

UPDATE ON IMPACT PRODUCT DECERTIFICATION

March 29, 2010 - On Friday, March 26, 2010, SFI filed suit in the United States District

Court for the Southern District of Indiana against Impact Racing, LLC, based upon evidence SFI

has received regarding Impact’s manufacture and use of counterfeit SFI conformance labels and

patches. Such actions by a manufacturer directly violate its obligations to the SFI program. SFI

took similar action when it joined in Hans Performance Products’ lawsuit against Impact due to

Impact’s manufacture and use of counterfeit Hans helmet clips. In that case, Impact

counterfeited the clips and inscribed an SFI rating on the clips without SFI knowledge or

approval. As in the Hans clip case, SFI is asking for another Temporary Restraining Order and

Preliminary Injunction against Impact. SFI is also seeking monetary damages. Please see SFI’s

web posting of March 26, 2010 for more details on the basis for SFI’s position. At this time we

do not know the exact extent of these counterfeiting activities, but through the litigation process

we hope to learn all the details. During the years that Impact was using the counterfeit labeling,

it was also obtaining authentic patches and labels from SFI. At this time SFI does not know how

many products have counterfeit labels and patches and which ones have authentic labels and

patches. Therefore, it was unfortunately necessary to decertify all the products manufactured by

Impact pursuant to SFI specifications 3.2A, 3.3, 16.1 and 16.5. Please note that Impact helmets

are not affected by this decertification.

It is important to keep in mind that any such use of counterfeit labeling is in violation of

the SFI specification programs. Whether it involves counterfeit helmet clips or counterfeit

labeling, such activities can undermine the integrity of the product ratings system that exists in

motorsports. This system depends upon trust. If this system is damaged, all of motorsports can

suffer the consequences. Manufacturers that agree to the SFI specification programs must meet

15708 Pomerado Road, Suite N208, Poway, CA 92064 • (858)451-8868 FAX# (858)451-9268

rigorous and strict requirements. Those stringent standards are in place first and foremost to

promote safety and product reliability. Racers and sanctioning bodies must have confidence in a

manufacturer’s representation that its products are in compliance with SFI requirements. The

conformance label is a manufacturer’s solemn statement to the racing community that it followed

the rules in bringing its product to the sport. When this trust is violated, the racing community

suffers. The level playing field for other manufacturers becomes uneven. Sometimes the

consequences of a breach of trust are severe and can hurt innocent victims. This is why it is so

critical that manufacturers follow the ratings system at all times.

SFI will continue to update the racing community as more information becomes

available.

21. DETMER METALSHAPING

DETMER METALSHAPING

Hollywood Spring contact Jack Chisenhall @ Vintage Air in San Antonio, Tx.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  22. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I'm pretty sure that is Bob at the wheel in the first shot. Opperman drove it after Bob repainted the car and did his fancy Sunburst Silver Leaf and Flames on it. Bob was quite an artist and painted a few Indy Cars in the 70s too.

You wouldn't happen to have more pit photos from Tampa in '71, would you? If so, you may have a picture of me. I was hangin' around with Bob and Bruce Craig that week....... Ah - I probably wouldn't recognize myself anyway.:D

23. Sprintmik

Sprintmik

I thought it might be Bob in Hank's car or maybe Jim Shaffer. I will check for more Tampa pics

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yep, I was about to spring that one on them Roy! ..about the Impact suits.

Wild Shit!

25. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

We had a case of counterfiet nuts/bolts at NASA about 15 yrs ago. That group is doing hard time. Crap like this needs to be punished harshly!

26. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Wow, JimNise, 'That might not impress Shania Twain but, that impresses me that you work/worked for NASA! And Rootie, good buddy, I really hate to 'take you to task and call you out but, any further reference to the legendary car builder and chief mechanic should be noted: It's Mr. Watson! The man is an icon and a legend. 'Sorry Rootie!

27. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

LittleFauss, it had real bad implications for the Aerospace and DoD sector. They were bringing in offshore stuff, that was not treated properly, nor tested, or in spec. It was caught during the initial building phase of Space station. (1995) There was also an electronics firm that was passing along resistors that didn't meet temp specs.

There is no telling what people will do to cut a corner and make a buck.

28. jimg12

jimg12

I always hooked mine to the left side of the car. Mike McGreevy was one of the best Midget drivers ever. He was also one of the nicest, cleanest, smoothest and heplful. I wish I could find him while I am still in Florida-- anybody helpme?
    Jim Graybeal

29. jimg12

jimg12

Also, I was told years ago that the sweikert carr turned into a yellow #19. I saw Hugh Randall drive it at Salem with a chevy about 1960. Hugh was the one who told me.
    Jim Graybeal

30. racer5c

racer5c

its safe to come home Jim it's warm out now