Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clutch fine when parked,Now nothing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FormerFueler, Mar 30, 2010.

1. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

When I parked my 53 Bel Air for the winter my clutch was fine, It sat for about 5 months out in the barn, When I fired it up to get it out for the spring I have NOTHING. I can shift into gear without depressing pedal while running. I can move the car by pushing it around with it in gear. I have been under the car and do not see anything obvious.Has anyone else had this proble? Any ideas on what to look for?

Thanks in advance, Any help would be appreciated

2. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

my 65 chevy truck did that, i adjusted the linkage as far out as i could to get it to grab, drove it like that for a day back the linkage back to where it was and it was fine, still works 2 years later

3. my guess is the clutch disc , the hub must have broke allowing it to freewheel

4. Rich T

Rich T
    from Michigan

Check and see if the throw out bearing is stuck on the shaft.

5. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look at it a little closer tomorrow.

6. Rich T

Rich T
    from Michigan

What does the pedal fee likel when you push it , if it pushes easier then normal the I would chek the bearing. (I had one hang up on the shaft once)

7. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

I agree with Rich T, the throwout probably rusted to the shaft. Have had it happen to me before. Very likely that this is the problem if you live in a area with lots of moisture and often changing temperatures.
    Dale K
    Cleveland OH

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I had the opposite problem twice with my Panhead. Fired it up, clunked into gear and damn near rode thru the garage door. THAT is an exciting experience! Clutch plates stuck together setting for week in humid weather.

9. no55mad

no55mad

After reading your post closer what I described here is not the problem you are having - sorry.

This happens - personal experience from growing up in Mi and storing vehicles in the winter. The clutch disc sticks to either the pressure plate or the flywheel. I would have someone tow the problem vehicle at slow speed with the engine not running and the trans in 1st gear. Push the clutch lever (pedal) in and out as it is towed and it should break free. Another story was to put the car (bumper) up against a tree, trans in 1st, clutch lever engaged and hit the starter. Good luck.

10. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Thanks for the input,Just got home from work and going out to check things a little closer.

11. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Throwout bearing moves freely,Worked on getting the master cylinder and associated linkages installed so I can get a better idea of what is going on.I have to get the master cylinder back in since clutch pedal assembly has same pivot points. I did manage to get help from my 4 year old granddaughter and she insists that Papa's car is a bit too loud.

12. This is opposite of his problem from my interpitation

13. Snakeoyl Joe

Snakeoyl Joe

Clutch plate stuck to flywheel due to moisture from storage.
    Sometimes not easy to free up. As a kid back in the 50's had to
    pry the two appart with a big screw driver. Once free
    operation normal.

14. Rich T

Rich T
    from Michigan

If the clutch plate was stuck to the flywheel it would be in engaged all the time, his problem is that the clutch is disengaged. Throwout bearing stuck( he said the bearing WAS moving on the input shaft) or broken hub on clutch plate

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  15. Bingo,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

How far does the bearing move? Are the pressure plate fingers out where they belong? Something from the hazy past tells me the fingers can stay down (pushed in) if that big Bellville spring goes "overcenter." Maybe not, but it seems I saw one that did that a loooong time ago. From your description of things it doesn't leave much else.