Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! Primered frame is rusting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.SCOTT, Mar 30, 2010.

1. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

I have a frame that is covered in filler primer ONLY, and rust is starting to show through, and i dont want to strip the whole thing. what can i do? all help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Sand rusty ares to bare then paint with etch primer or something like rustoleum or others that require no primer. Filler primer acts like a sponge.

3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I use rustoleum and it works great. Will be painting a van next week in rustoleum gloss red.

4. I would strip the whole thing. If it is starting to show through the primer has almost certainly absorbed water all over and it will only be a matter of time before it starts to happen everywhere. No sense fixing certain areas and them painting to have other areas come back and bite you in the ass later on.

5. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

what he said -

6. adam401

adam401

If your still in mockup stage I'd wait till your ready to bust her down for paint, then strip it and reprime/paint.

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Time to blast and start over ,

8. Exactly!

9. skullhat

skullhat

true ,unfortunatly....strip now , or after expensive paint starts popin

skull

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I'm gonna 5th this statement.

11. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

My nuber one rule when it comes to ANY type of filler, if a part ist showing rust, there is probably 10 times more under the rest!

Sand down the area with rust an see if it's spreading allover. Or go the "better safe than sorry" way and blast it all down and redo!

12. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Another vote to strip it. Otherwise, you'll be sorry in the not too distant future. Strip, wipe it clean, and then either "Kilz" or POR-15. (Kilz is less expensive).

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, do it right. Take it to a sandblaster and have 'im take it to bare metal again, and reprimer with an epoxy primer. Not very expensive. Very expensive if you don't.

14. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Why, oh why, does everyone think primer is waterproof? The 1st thing my instructer taught me when I started collision repair 22 years ago was that no primer is waterproof and WILL rust through in time. It requires a top coat to be water and UV resistant. I laugh everytime I see an old primered Camaro running down the road that will get new paint "someday".

Blast it and start over.

15. Special Ed

Special Ed

I wish I knew. Seriously...I really wish I did. :confused:
    Want to be traditional? Paint it. And paint it shiny....