Register now to get rid of these ads!

y block to c4 or aod trans kit ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag13, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

doing a little poking around on craigslist this weekend which led to me purchasing an old offenhouser 3 deuce setup with 3 94s and linkage for $80 ! well the next day a 292 y block popped up in good running condition which was hastily purchased for $200 ! thinking of putting them in my 55 f 100 now instead of a small block ford ! whats a good trany to run behind this engine ? truck was originaly a 292 but someone replaced it with a 223 six , will the 3 speed be the same bolt pattern ? i have a toploader 4 speed out of a 67 mustang ! i would really like to go automatic though ! i have a aod freshly built , a c4 , and an old fmx ! i realize the aod and the c4 would take adapters ! not sure i could make the aod tv cable work with the intake setup ! thinking c4 is the way to go ! next thing is my friend runs a full on machine shop , has any one purchased the c4 adapter , looks pretty simple if i had pics and some dimensions i'm sure he could machine me one ! thanks brock

2. - Wilcap -

I didn't think twice about having a machine shop "copy" the design. I felt that the couple hundred in difference between having a local shop copy it and forking over the cash to Wilcap was worth Wilcaps R&D.

Ordered the adapter for my dad's 292 from Eric "Vaphead" here on the hamb.

I believe that the c4 and AOD require different adapters for each of them.

The reason I chose the adapter for the th350 is it also fits the 700r4 pattern.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  3. So what's the best choice to throw behind a 292? I just had the fordamatic for mine rebuilt, I think if I had to go it again I would just find something better to back it up.

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

The AOD TV cable is not difficult, you just need to route a Lokar cable from the back of the carb (or center carb) to the left side of the trans and get it adjusted. Overdrive is the way I would go, for the freeway times.

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I have a car with a C4 and while it's a good transmission I wish I would have put an AOD in instead of rebuilding it. That toploader is probably worth the same as a rebuilt AOD, you can probably swap em out with someone if you want automatic.

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

At a glance, it seems Wilcap adapts to the GM transmissions; not a bad option, but not exactly the question you asked.

Bendtsen's has an adapter to attach an AOD; it isn't what I would call cheap, but probably a decent value for the money.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_y_block.htm

7. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

how complete is the kit for the aod ? starter , flexplate ?

8. paul hoffman

paul hoffman
    from australia

Hi from down under I have an FMX behind a yblock, and have had for some 5 years now, used 55 Ford bell housing and torque converter , used internal parts from FMX torque converter, in the 55 torque converter, and made up new drive to drive the front pump in the auto, all works fine, had to redrill top holes in bellhousing, bottom ones lined up.

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Click on:www.transmissioncenter.net they also have the kit,click on the AOD section and scroll down to it there is good picture of it.You could go two ways on the TV cable use the Lokar kit(may take some fab) or for around $200 TCI has a new valve body that eliminates the TV cable and gives you all the improvements of a premium shift kit all in one package.

10. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Flat-o-Products sells the whole works to put a c4 on a Y block.

11. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

The cheapest and easiest way to go is with an FMX. With a Y Block flex plate and bellhousing it is a simple conversion, and an FMX is plenty strong for your application. The only downside is no overdrive

Here is a link to an article about how to do it.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/tech/html/fmx_upgrade.html

12. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

13. I'm using that TCI kit on an AOD and I have been really happy with it. I like it much more than my other car with a C4.

14. unibody madness

unibody madness

make sure you have the proper bell housing ..although you can mix and match transmissions, you can not do the same with bell housings,223 and 292 dont mix and you may have to alter drive shaft lenghts

15. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i think i'm leaning towards the aod since i have one built thats just sitting , if i'm not mistaken the kit uses and adapter plate to mate up the aod without the use of the old bell housing ?

16. Brock, did you decide what you are going to do for the Merc truck? I am thinking about building a T Bucket with a 292. Putting an AOD behind it is on my short list of transmissions.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You should have done some research , the offy manifold is probably the worst of the bunch for Y block tri powers and may cause a loss of power over stock.
    Flat O products makes a good Y Block to C4 adapter bell housing kit.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John Mummert sells an adapter for the C-4 that replaces the bell housing so no adapter is used. It comes with all parts but the starter which is a 360 Ford truck which can be bought for $35-50. I installed a 62 Cruise0matic in mine which works great. I would have used John's kit had i'd gone with the C-4. One last thing, it's a lot less $$$$ than the other adapter plate style..

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The kit that Mummert sells is a kit he gets from the guy who makes them, Gene at Flat O products.
    I bought mine direct from Flat O, why use the middle man, why not just go to the source?

More recently Gene sold me a high torque mini starter that works with the adapter kit and is better than using the 360 Ford starter.

Calkins likes this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't know they came from Flat O. All I know is I'd rather not have an adapter plate, a fitting bellhousing seems like a much better deal. As for the starter, just tring to keep the cost down.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The Flat O bellhousing is a nice piece fits and works great.