Register now to get rid of these ads!

air ride with hard lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mick_b, Feb 12, 2010.

1. mick_b

mick_b
    from scotland

whats the best way to go about this. also does any one have pictures of installs which there air management has been done this way. is there any pros to hard lines than nylon lines.

cheers

mick

2. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

I think the hard lines will look better. nylon is quick and ez. My lines were nylon and worked fine, never leaked anything. But my valves would freeze up in the winter and I would be stuck on the ground. ahaha

3. 6berry

6berry

4. mick_b

mick_b
    from scotland

that happened to me on thursday morning. not best thing to happen when your trying to get to work. so i left it. haha.

5. mick_b

mick_b
    from scotland

cheers for the link 6berry. looks very helpful. just what i was after, any got any install pictures.

currently run 8mm lines, want to upgrade. but limited due to my front stut units on my car.

6. Synthetic lines can easily be repaired most anywhere. With hard lines it will be much harder work let alone trying to find a torch to solder joints together. I don't think it's worth doing!

7. mick_b

mick_b
    from scotland

you reckon. looks tidy with hardlines. and again less worry if caught to an extent.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done several chassis with shockwaves or bags plumbed with SS Hardlines/AN fittings and braided SS lines at the ends to the bags. Used thru the frame fittings in front that matched the thru frame fittings for the brakes. Since speed wasn't an issue I used 1/4 inch hardline and #4 flex lines. Worked out good.

9. Glen

Glen

I ran stainless braided lines in the engine compartment and under the rear suspension, it worked very good. I used my local parker store to make the lines.
    If you need help with the hard lines you might look up some of the lowrider guys....they run a lot of it.

10. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

11. That car also has no engine, trans, interior, bracing or floorboards. It also runs WAY higher pressure that any normal bag system should run. It is really kool to watch, though.

12. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

13. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

we did james truck with all stainless hard lines here is a few pics

Attached Files:

14. mick_b

mick_b
    from scotland

thanks. how hard was it too do? quiet straight forward

15. Tin Can

Tin Can

I was thinking about this for my 53 too when the time comes to start plumbing the airbags

16. It wouldn't be any harder or more involved than routing brake lines.

17. mick_b

mick_b
    from scotland

never thought of it like that to be fair. fail on my behalf haha

18. Do guys just use AN fittings to plumb them?

19. you guys need to be putting "air brake antifreeze" into your system, about 3-4 cups full is what you should do every winter..works great and you'll never have it freeze up again can get it at any semi truck stop or napa

20. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

21. so did you use both hardlines and nylon lines on your set up then?

I'm thinking about this for a future project

anyone who has done this whats the cost of doing an entire car with 3/8 hardline?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  22. GrantH

GrantH

can anyone specify the type of stainless tubing? Also, for anyone skimming through, that street trucks article says to use TYPE L copper tubing for airlines. Just looking for the stainless type!

23. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Go to tractor supply buy Hydrolic tube by the length an -fittings 37 degree steel braided lines

24. I like that video.. the car goes boingy boingy

25. GrantH

GrantH

is this in response to my post? If so, i'm not really looking for braided. I've seen people using stainless hard line, like on that first page. Also, if anyone knows by looking, are those AN style fittings, PTC, or swage-lok style? Sorry for the questions, but I can't find the answers to save my life.

26. I believe most people use the swage-lok fittings