Register now to get rid of these ads!

BEATNIK - Dobby Gillis Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Guess Im showing my age, but im confused by this thread!!!

2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Interesting post. I don't know anything about this Dobby Gillis show but beatnik literature yes

I really believe beatniks-- Jack Kerouac, William Burroughs, Gregory Corso, Allen Ginsberg, Neal Cassady and the beatnik chicks Denise Leverton, Joyce Johnson, Diane DiPrima- most definitely had and continue to have an affect on hot rodding. They may not have told you how to build your car but their nomadic, cross- country lifestyle is nothing but pure inspiration.

For example, reading the quintessential beatnik book "On the Road" is really not much different than one of Denise and my hot rod journeys across the USA...ok forgo the drugs, sex, but keep the rock and roll :D We, much like the characters in the book, are looking for something, not sure what and visiting people all along the way. Although the characters in Kerouac's novel always have a final destination (New York, California, etc) in mind they know that the journey is half (or more) of the fun. Think of all of the crazy fun characters that Dean (Neal Cassady) drags up along the way, planned or unplanned. And the really crazy part is how much the road hasn't changed-- you still go through the towns in the book and conjure similar thoughts to Kerouac's characters.

Now, if reading 'On the Road' doesn't inspire you to get out in your hot rod for an adventure I don't know what will!

3. hmmm beatniks wouldn't have a computer..but would use yours?

beatniks drove old cars (most likely not theres) cuz they were cheap

a group of nonconformists is conforming when they are members of a group.

all people add to hot rodding culture weather for it or against it......

4. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

X2, especially point #3.

5. strawberry

strawberry

I hear they stole the hubcaps for cash to buy expresso ,

6. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Funny you say this,because last night on the way from home,a friend of mine was giving me a ride and we were having a conversation about how he has pretty much lost motivation to get out of bed,and I gave him a little insight. I told him,"You know what motivates me to get out of bed? I get up everyday hoping to have an adventure or find something new. When I had a running vehicle,I was home as little as possible. I would get in my car and just drive. Drive to see what was out there and who I would meet that day. You never know who'll you run in to or what you might find. It's the adventure of it all. Hell,cruise around town,hit yard sales,go to book stores,take a trip to LA for the day,or hit the beach. Who cares,just get out there and experience the world,that is my motivation to get out of bed every day."

I can't wait until I get the Galaxie on the road.

7. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, the trip or "moving around" is the deal! Kinda reminds me of my first trip to Sturgis in the 70's. About 3 or 4 of us were packed and ready to go. Someone asked "Anyone got a map?" Not a map in the bunch. I finally pointed north (we're in Texas) and said "It's that way." Everyone fired up and we left.
    Most of my best adventures didn't even have a destination. Just load up and go.
    Larry T

8. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Exactly,just pack up and go. That's the spirit of being free,to go where you want,when you want to. I think that's why I get angry when I see trailer queens. Instead of towing it,you can have an adventure driving it. Same with bikes. I know after the Galaxie is on the road,next thing I'm building is a bike.

9. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,I was a Beatnik in the '50's ,,in '64 ,,while serving in the UASAF in Alaska ,,in '64,,my roomate and I took a 30 day leave to California where he was from,,we both had just read Jack Kerouac's book ,On The Road" ,,and on a trip to Carmel By The Sea ,,following Jacks diections in one of his books ,,at the third white bridge ,,,with the old junk car layin' way down there on the beach ,,we took the first left on a narrow gravel road ,,and found Jacks Cabin ,,with hundreds of white port wine bottles all over the yard ,,and a black '47 or '48 Chevy fleetline sittin' in the drive ,,full of old clothes n junk ,,that's where Jack went crazy on port wine ,,
    up on the hill ,,that house in the book that lit up like a "LiteHouse" every nite ,,belonged to Kim Novak ,,we got run offa that property by security guards ,,
    We even met Joan Biez n her sister at the Carmel Valley Safeway Store ,,in Joan's beat up one year old Jag Coupe ,,the Sister was Much prettier and a lot nicer person tha Joan was ,,
    i have a picture i took that day of Jack's cabin ,,just gotta scan it ,,

10. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Oh ,,i was also a long haired ,,Harley ridin' ""Hippie"" freek in the early '70's ,,also drove a hugger orange '69 SS396 Chevelle and raced Sno=Mobiles and later Drag Boats ,,now ,,at 67 ,,with long hair and a beard again ,& drivin' a '27 T w' a blown SB ,,,SO,,i'm re-livin' my youth ,,LOL,,LOL,,

11. I am thrilled by the response my post has gotten.

We all love our hobby and livestyle - It is cool to know ones roots.

I wondered what influence this movement, back in the day, had and wanted those of us today to enjoy a new found (for some of us) part of our history.

Keep the replies coming!

12. Frank

Frank

now we have "emos" and "hipsters"

13. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

And they both suck. The town where I work is overran with them.:mad:

14. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

That's funny because I'd bet the generations before Beatniks said the same thing.

There will always be "the new thing"

15. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Emo's=Whine about everything and are depressed constantly about nothing

Hipster's=Stuck in the 80's snd pretend to be what beatniks were and have the nerve to think it's something original they are doing. Trust me,I literally am surrounded by them every weekend when I'm at work,they have no clue what they are doing. Most of them are trust fund kids with a snob attitude that nth8ink they are societies elite.

16. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Beatnicks were the earlier Hippies. More known for drugs and avoiding work as were hippies. They were not known for their input in hot rodding, they never had the money, like the later hippies never had money. This was supported in the show where "Maynard" was terrified of the word "WORK". The term was later used affectionately by those considering themselves "far out" and noncomformist. In my opinion Roth and Dutch would not have been known as true "beatnicks", just as long hair did not make you a hippie. A lot of us car guys had long hair back then, like the story on my website, "Things I would never admit in public".

17. My parents told me that about 50 years ago... :eek:

18. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I was once called a Beatnik. I don't know why.. maybe it was the bongos..or the guitar. Hmmmm pigpen

[​IMG]

19. studhud

studhud

20. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Anyone ever listened to a southern comedian by the name of Brother Dave Gardner???

Kinda had a beatnik southern preacher rotuine, and I mean he was way out there. In real life and on record.

21. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

realy
    the beatniks DRIVE there cars the most and the longest distances than ANY
    fucking car club out there , period ...holmes!

way to go daddyo

i can dig it

suport your local beatniks

ya a major part in automotive culture!

and one more thing !
    im not a beatnik yet BUT i am on the road to koolsville

and the DRIVE THE SHIT OUT OF THERE CARS!

i can dig it ,
    EXPERIENCE that motivates me
    ditto daddyo

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  22. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes he was..............The Motorcycle Story.............

23. 49FordF1

49FordF1
    from Dalton GA

When I forst glanced at this I thought it said.." I still have my bong AND drums" Whewwwww.....where is my mind?

24. bugfink

bugfink

the idea that beat generation became hippies and so on is sorta shite. most "cultures" only last about 7-10 years then the youth get older, move on and so do their younger friends. look at punk, rockabilly, disco. you find stragglers but it takes a good 20 years for it to become cool again, then die and become cool 20 years later. notice how the mid/late 60's paint job are becoming popular again.

25. Jingles

Jingles

Maynard G. Krebbs started a movement and was a mentor for all of the other beatniks. Maynard left big city life and moved to a deserted island. He changed
    his name to Gilligan and lived with 2 beautiful babes.

26. I have to agree that the beatnik movement has influenced the hotrodding movement. To what extent is hard to say however it was there among a mix of anti establishment movements and attitudes. It is an error in my view to pidgeon hole these subcultures and state they had nothing to do with each other.

I believe there has been a certain stereotyping of hot rods and rock and roll as the holy alliance from the 50's when in fact there was a lot more going on musically. Lets face it hot rods have been around a lot longer than rock 'n roll. I digress.

An interesting movie of the day is the early Jack Nicholson film "The Wild Ride" . (1960) All about punk hot rod kids and yet not one rock 'n roll track in the movie. Very much a beatnik and jazz feel to this movie. That raises the question; is this art reflecting life or was it the where life began to reflect art ?

27. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Beatnik.................It's a lifestyle......one most don't understand, but thats kool, if it was easy everyone would do it. There is nothing in this world that can explain what goes on in your head as you drive a chopped kustom cross country, oh lets say 2-4 times a year, late nights , maybe all night...............jambin on some tunes, creating your next ride as sleep deprivation sets in, then you get all fired up and can't sleep, so you keep pushing on, jambin louder,faster, oh shit red lights.....at least it aint the red oil light !!!

28. uncleo

uncleo

Greetings from Long Branch NJ Americas first seashore resort and 7 time US summer capital...yes zzford Tommy appeared on the ''Dobie Gillis'' show and others during the 50's and 60's as did Norm Grabowski and no ratatat Tommy was not featured on ''My Little Margie'' starring Gale Storm he co-starred in ''Margie'' with Cynthia Pepper....from which he was let go after Hot Rod Magazine ran a feature on his Showboat 4 engine Buick dragster and had him on the cover with Pepper outfitted in their T.V. series 20's clothing ! and of course in the movies he was the little kid ''jungle boy''.
    Waited all week to see ''Dragstrip Dobie'' ....now it seems kinda hyped up but way back then it was exciting to see T.V. at the time reflect on what we were doing....buddy of mine with a 53 Merc with the sweetest glasspacks I ever heard pulled up in front of the house popping and crackiling just in time to see the show from the beginning.
    Early Dragnet....Public Defender....Wally's cars on Leave it to Beaver,Lumpy's 40....Bud's car on Father Knows Best along with a copy of a ''little book'' Hot Rod Magazine shown on the coffee table....man that was cool....
    Beatnik....Hippie....underneath just a hot rod - custom car guy and all these years later still having fun.
    Lee - WRAT-FM at the Jersey Shore-Wall Stadium Speedway