Register now to get rid of these ads!

title question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Mar 26, 2010.

1. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

I own a 55 Cadillac and i'm having issues getting the title in my name. The car originally came from PA and was sold to a guy in Dallas; I tried to trade the car for a motorcycle. the guy with the bike tried to get the title transfered but they wont let him do it. They said the guy in dallas has to get the title transfered over to him then transfer it to the bike owner. Any suggestions on what i can do? can i apply for a lost title?

2. KOTC

KOTC

go to a currency exchange and get the accidental affidavit form and get the last owner to sign "hint hint" that he signed accidentally and he gives his permission to the next guy to transfer it to his name

we have this option here in illinois and it works great as i have ran across every form of title issue since the first car i have owned...im not sure if you have something like this out there but it should be atleast similar?

3. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

I'm in Texas not sure how that would work

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Straight from Texas DMV instructions. Your situation seems to fit the following excerpt from those instructions;

http://www.co.midland.tx.us/Tax/FAQs/Motor/motor.asp

"...............................the statutes require transfer of ownership by proper execution of certain ownership documents. When these specific documents are incomplete or unavailable, Texas statutes require that the applicant apply for a Tax Collector's hearing or bonded title."

5. TIN INDIAN MAN

TIN INDIAN MAN

Be thankful your not in Florida. Crap is so bad here with the driver license issues, that effective to day State Troopers are assigned to each dl office. Deputy Shariffs are in the Tag Offices.

6. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

what the hell is a bonded title. what about back taxes? will i be responsible for those since it was last registered? this is a crock of...

7. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

I can see this going bad for me.

8. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

http://www.dmv.tx.gov/vehicles/titles/bonded.htm

wow. i'm screwed

Step 1: Determine your eligibility

In order to qualify, you must be a Texas resident or military personnel stationed in Texas; or have a vehicle that was last titled in Texas. The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered abandoned, junked, stolen, or in any other pending lawsuits. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor or frame and motor if a motorcycle.

To determine your eligibility for the bonded title procedure and the value of the bond, take or mail the following documents to your Vehicle Titles and Registration (VTR) Division Regional Office:

A Statement of Fact for Bonded Title (VTR-130-SOF),
    A Statement of Physical Inspection (VTR-270)
    Any supporting evidence of ownership (Bill of Sale, Invoice, Cancelled Check, etc.)
    A photocopy of your driver’s license if requesting Texas motor vehicle information
    If your documents are approved, the amount of the bond equal to 1½ times the value of the vehicle will be determined by the Regional Office using a national reference guide. If you disagree with the amount you may furnish an appraisal by a licensed motor vehicle dealer or insurance appraiser. Once the value of the vehicle is determined the VTR Regional Office will give you a letter within 24 hours showing the amount the bond needs to be purchased in.

Step 2: Purchase a surety bond

Take the letter and other documents given to you by the VTR Regional Office to an auto insurance agency or any agency that sells vehicle Surety Bonds.

You have one year from the date of the letter to purchase a Surety Bond in the amount shown on the letter, otherwise a new letter and bond would be required.

Step 3: Apply for a bonded title

Within 30 days from purchasing the surety bond, take the original letter given to you by the Regional Office and the documents listed above, to your county tax office, in addition to:

a completed Form VTR 130-U
    proof of insurance.
    If the vehicle is from out of state, you will also need to provide a Vehicle Identification Certificate (Form VI-30), completed by a Safety Inspection Station. If the vehicle is from out of country, you will need a Customs Document (HS 7). If the vehicle is a truck or commercial vehicle you may also need a weight certificate.