Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many cars are too many?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsr_54, Mar 26, 2010.

1. dsr_54

dsr_54

My friends give me a hard time of having too many cars. So I asked on how many is too many....... he said ten. I have 21 that I can think of. only 7 are drivable. The rest are projects. Ok some of the "driveable" ones are projects. Come to think about it I never quit working on any of them. They range from 1928 - 2000 and two I counted are daily drivers. I have the room to store them and the nice ones even get to sleep inside.

The sad thing is I sold several cars this last year to help me buy one. I feel they all went to good homes.

But how many is too many........ I'm sure I will buy more, but it does cut into the budget of getting projects done.

2. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Maximum number of cars = number that can fit on your property without violating local ordinances

3. willys1950jeepster

willys1950jeepster
    from pdx

that says it all

4. dsr_54

dsr_54

My family owns a junk yard, so great storage, just have to hide them a little.

5. Pugly

Pugly

I got 9 old cars that all run and drive........it's getting a little overwhelming to maintain them all.

6. dsr_54

dsr_54

It can get overwhelming, but it always seams like one in ready to go. Sometime the others sit for a while.

7. saints

saints

Id say more than 5.....c'mon thank about it, You can only drive one at a time and 5 gives you 2 drivers and 3 projects....That will take a while to make the 3 drivers or 4 depending

8. selohssa

selohssa

I have one buddy that has 800 cars. He might have too many. I have another buddy that has 200 and is still buying more.

I only have 9 but my wife wants to buy an acerage, BIG MISTAKE.

9. rustrustler

rustrustler

I too had 21 cars a few years ago and realized that I wouldn't live long enough to do them all so I sold all but one. After a couple of years of driving just one I found myself bored with it. I have since come to the conclusion you should have 3 cars done so you can trade off and one as a project. Good Luck, Mike.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

you have too many when you do not make the time and eough $$ to finish 'em. If you are not out driving what are they good for. anyone can keep collecting cars, stamps, whatever. yes, there is usually something that can be improved and rides are never totally done. I have one project and it is enough for me. others I know have hundreds of cars and it is never enough. look at billionaires, they have more money than some countries and it still never enough. we are all different, which is a good thing.

11. When you're walking through them and come across one you forgot you owned and can't remember buying, you have too many.

12. dsr_54

dsr_54

They sound like my kind of guys.............

13. electron

electron

I've always thought that it makes more since to own 1 or 2 really nice cars instead of many unfinished cars. I must admit though that if I had more room I'd probably own a lot more.

14. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

Or, do like my brother does. He has cars and trucks sitting in three or four locations... LOL.... There can never be too many cars..... IMO....

SpeedAddict

15. I have seven. Four old drivers and I always want more but it is about storage, I just need a bigger shop and my wife agrees.

16. dsr_54

dsr_54

Some of them I saved from the crusher, so I feel like I did my civic duty..

17. How ever many you can afford to keep.

18. SMier

SMier
    from Easton, Pa

I had 5 cars, when did I realize I have too many? When I couldn't afford to fix them up how I want too anymore.... Now I'm down to 4 and soon to be 3!!! You know what I hate about selling them? Letting go of the dreams... I love dreaming about what I'd do to each one and I really enjoy working on them, but I've found I wish I could complete one of them instead of none of them!!!

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

2 trucks - one that runs and 1 that is the project - I try not to mix the 2 although the goal is one day the project will be the runner and can get rid of the other so I can have 1 really nice runner. At some point the project will be a runner and I can edit down to 1. That is the plan anyway. I had 4 trucks at one time, but for now, 2 old trucks are enough, I don't need any more. I got other things to do in my life too other than work on old trucks ALL the time for the rest of my life.

20. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

being as i dont have a hamb aproved car yet. can one of you guys with a bunch of cars donate one to me :D

21. benji2714

benji2714

I have 4. 3 complete and 1 90 percent done. Teadering on a 5th, the upkeep is holding me back. Probably get rid of 1 and replace it. But there all for sale sooner or later. I just don't push it. Went to a race and a gentelman came up and asked if it was for sale? There all for sale. He said put a no. on it. 10min later he said put it on the truck. Replaced it in a week. Its a desease....

22. dsr_54

dsr_54

Not all of mine are HAMB apporved. I like cars. Old, new, as long as I think they are cool. I'm building a 28 pontaic, and also have newer sports cars.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too many?
    More than you can realistically get to a "that's done" state either time wise or financially in your life time.

That doesn't count the ones that are picked up as trading material or parts rigs though.

Running and driving cars that you can jump in and go somewhere? There isn't any such thing as too many as long as you have the room to keep them safely.

One of the well known sports and classic car guys in the PNW who has had a few nice rods in his collection too has a self made policy if that he doesn't drive one of his rigs in X amount of time (two years I think) it goes up for sale.

24. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I have 4 old cars. All runners/drivers. I'm getting tired of maintaining all of them. I've recently come to the decision that the one I've had the longest is the one I REALLY want to have the most. As soon as I get some things taken care of, I'm probably going to pare down the fleet.

Devin

25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

One of my pet peeves. Guys are always buying cars and expecting others to store them just because the other guy has more room.The other guy is paying for every square foot he has and he didnt work hard to get it so that someone else could have a free dream.Its one thing to help someone for a short while as the freind is in the middle of one shop to another etc. but if the guy who bought the new project had no idea where he was gonna put it except your place then the guy is just a user.

26. I have a dozen or so.....but I can't afford to finish, license or insure them all. And upkeep is a killer. I realized I'm one of those guys we all bitch about......" he has a bunch of old cars, but they are not for sale....he says he's gonna fix em up someday"......so several are for sale. Let someone else enjoy them..

27. 40yearslate

40yearslate
    from Denver, CO

It's a disease. I would love to have one-of-each. But they all come at a price, even if they are free. In the end though, I would rather have NO cars and good kids, than an amazing collection of cars, but my kids are assholes.

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have 5 Old cars and it's one too many right now. I can fit the '32 body in the shed and the roadster body on the shelf since it's disassembled. The hard part comes in when trying to fit a '52 Merc, '35 Ford and '54 Chevy under a 2-3 car garage and get anything done. That's why I rent a shop with friends. I can store one there and have a clean space to work on other cars at home.

Once I start the '32 I might look into a lift so I can build the car on that and raise it up when not being used. It might go perpendicular to the doors so the trunk of the MErc can fit under the lift when it's in the garage.

See you have to start getting creative when space is an issue. I'd say 1 cars is plenty but more is great too!

29. Sauli

Sauli

I´d think one would be OK with however many they are able to store and preserve properly within their own financial realm. Perhaps seeing some sort of use or purpose out of each one might be highly preferable, too.
    I guess any units exceeding that number would amount to turning You into one of them dreaded "gonna fix up every single one of them one of these days..." -kinda characters.

30. What is this, "Toomany" of which you speak?