Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Best 1955 Cadillac build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonBurke, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Sounds like your makin good progress Roger!!

Got pretty long list for "almost done"!!!:eek::D

We need video of the new mill I think:cool:

Keep pluggin!!!

Bill

2. Roger, that Caddy is coming along so nice! I love big cars, especially the Cadillacs and Chryslers. Can't wait to see that car on the road.

3. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

Looks great man. Nice, very nice.

4. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Man! Every time I check your thread it gets better and better. The color is right on, looks great!

5. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Very Very Cool..Thanks for sharing...

6. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Ouch, that hurts(avitar)

Looks great Roger! well done...

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Awwww Nowaxn5, don't take that too hard...the yellow you have is mild compared to what I had...yours looks like a stock Caddy color...mine was far from it. I like my new color a lot better than what was on the firewall.

So, as stated earlier, here's some of the most recent pix, starting with my bro and a friend, Clint, messing with the motor mount...it's hard for me to take pix and appear in them, that's why my bro is in most of the pix...

[​IMG]

And as stated above, the doors are finished and hung back on the car...I'm not going to put anything back in them (glass, electic motors, traks) until the car gets painted.

[​IMG]

In this pic you can see the engine and the rad support...had to have all this mounted in order to fire the engine...the engine now has a grand total of 45 minutes on it...

[​IMG]

That's my bro's '54 Caddy in the background...we've been doing some minor things to it in between working on my Caddy...finally put some new rubber on the doors of his Caddy...and let me tell you Lynn Steele is sure proud of that stuff...!!!

This weekend my Caddy will be going down to the body man to finish the rest of it...and I'm going to drive it...barring any more snow storms, of course...!!!

Stay tuned, it's getting closer...and closer...and closer...!!!

R-

8. mad-cad

mad-cad

Lookin good...lookin good!!:D.
    By the way how long did the paint stay put on the cylinder heads next to the exhaust ports?:D been there done that ,have the burnt high temp paint to prove it!!:eek:
    You guys bringin the caddy's down to the Moab April action show next month?

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Mine won't be there Tim, and I don't know if Dan is planning on driving his, or bringing his '64 SS...

Here's something you may not know -- Dennis Gage and his "My Classic Car" film crew will be there for the weekend, shooting the show...would be kinda neat to see a couple of Caddy's in his TV show, eh...???

R-

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if I said this before but I love the Kolor on the Kaddy!

Happy Trails,

Mick

11. sinks88

sinks88

12. You poor SOBs in the Denver area sure havent had a break from winter. Hopefully spring will show up soon and yall can join the rest of us who havent had that shitty weather.

13. Crey

Crey
    from Tejas

That's my favorite year Cadillac... and you're sure doin it right.
    I love it, can't wait to see it with color!!
    And that grill is unbelievable, top notch!!

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yeah, you've mentioned it once or twice...ya know, Mick, I'd be happy to share my super secret kustom mixed Lavendar color with you (or did you like the purple on the interior...??? I'll share that with you too)...and it sure would look good on that Merc of yours...

Stutz...we're still not out of it...weatherguys are calling for rain mixed with snow later on tonite...4-6" of it on the ground by morn...looks like the '55 won't go to the body man tomorrow...!!!

Thanx for all the compliments guys...I sure appreciate it.

R-

15. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

If somebody had said "Purple Caddy" before seeing your car it would have caused all kinds of bad thoughts. BUT happy to say your car looks GREAT in purple.

16. BEAR

BEAR

where are the updates?? anything new???

17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

lookin great roger!!

18. 73super

73super

I am humbled by your awesomeness.....

19. Krobe

Krobe

Lookin' good. Anticipating seeing it at Salina...

20. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

This is Fantastic.

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx guys, I appreciate all the props...

And Bear, here's an update for ya...Looks like we won't be in Santa Maria this year...don't think I can get the Caddy done in time and have the $$$ left to drive it out there...gas is going up around here...!!!

Krobe, Salina may be the first long distance run on the engine...we won't be in Dewey this year. I'm about a month or so behind right now on the car...the best laid plans...ya know...???

Madcad, it took about 11 1/2 seconds at 2500 RPM...enuff to set the cam in...and every time I start it a bit more burns off...but I've already got the solution to that...but you'll have to stick around to see it...and no, not going to bring the '55 to Moab...may bring Dan's '54 , we're putting a new windshield and side glass in it next week.

So, here's a small update on my '55, called
    IT'S ALIVE...!!!!

On March 20th, at 11:30 AM, Cad engine builder extraordinaire Sean came over to my place and within five minutes of his arrival had the engine fired...and running...it sounds healthy...and all the newness of the engine (header paint, exhaust ports, manifold cross-over) burnt. It took about a half hour before Sean was satisfied the engine was "good to go." Sure am anxious to get the car done now...but we've got another month or two of work...

After our 12 inches of snow last Tuesday (March 23rd) and the threat of snow on the weekend (which didn't amount to much), I couldn't take the car to the bodyman...the weatherman predicted nice weather for the first of the week...he was correct...It turned out to be 78 degrees here on Tuesday, March 30th). It was determined that would be the perfect opportunity to drive the car down to his shop, about 8 miles from my place...and the first opportunity to drive the car since October First, 2009.

[​IMG]

So, here I am, backed out of my garage and ready to go, somewhat anxious on a new engine, to drive the car. But that's the only way I know to test it...I was certain I had everything hooked up correctly...about a mile from my place, the engine developed a serious miss...I had to stop and put a plug wire back on...but after that and all in all, the drive was good and nothing else happened. The engine feels really good.

My bro, Dan, followed me down and shot these pix...there sure were a lot of people looking at me as I drove the car minus glass, trunk, hood, fenders and bumpers..bet they thot I was nuts.

In this shot, I'm almost at the bodyman's place...he lives on 5 acres, has a huge shop and the neighbors don't give him any grief...

[​IMG]

From that point, my drive was almost over...it was fun to drive the Caddy again...here I am turning into his drive...

[​IMG]

As soon as the body is done, it'll go for paint...I'm thinking right at the first of May...

I've still got quite a bit of work to do before the car comes home for reassembly prior to paint. I've got to undercoat the front fenders, inside and the wheel wells before I can hang them and the hood once more, do some more work on the fender skirts and really work on the rear bumper, then hang the trunk for the final time...the only piece of stainless left to polish is around the rear window, and that'll be coming out real soon, I have a new one to replace the scratched up piece. The side glass is going up with Dan's Cad so it can be cut at the same time as his and that'll save me a few bucks. A new windshield for mine is coming in at the same time as Dan's, thus saving me half the shipping costs...

That's it for this update...but stay tuned...

R-

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  22. Hopefully you will be all finished by August so I can invite you up to Wyoming for our HAMB get2gether. would love to see that beast in person.

23. Looks great Roger!! I love that color, it has so many different shades depending on how the light hits it.

Glad the engine is nice and strong, it sure is fun when it fires for the first time!!

Bill

24. caddy-man

caddy-man

I do believe that it is gunna be the purtiest custom around !!! Phil

25. This thing looks GREAT!!!!!!!!! I want a ride in JOPLIN!!!!!

26. bryan6902

bryan6902

Dang! That's looking good! So did you call in a bomb threat across town so you could move that to the body shop? Seems every time I moved my car like that there were cops every where to give me grief!

27. volksjunky

volksjunky

Wow,found this on my lunch break,an hour later my eyes are on fire and I am subscribed ! Beautiful work !

28. themachine

themachine

wow what a build

29. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I know what you mean about taking her out for her first drive. Your car looks fantastic. I get to take mine to the Joe smith open house tomorrow. It will be her first offical outing thats not just around the block. the exhaust gets put on thursday and I am picking up the new gas tank that House of Fab made tomorrow.As long as I dont have it hammered its somewhat quiet:D. I will post pics of the drive and show on my build thread after I get back. Keep forging ahead

Todd

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Double C, even tho the drive wasn't very long, I listened to every click, squeak and humm all the way...and congrats on your first trip in yours...

LOL, no, they were prolly all makin' the gangsta's in north Aurora pay attention, didn't even see one.

Thanx Bill, the pearl in it really lights up in the sun, can't wait to see the whole car in it...

Thanx to all for all the compliments...it's getting closer...and closer...and closer...!!!

R-