Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's style 1928 sedan NEW ROLLER, input / photoshop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hydrohowell, Mar 25, 2010.

1. hydrohowell

hydrohowell
    from redding ca

Finally a roller. 1928 Model A Sedan, Cad OHV powered, still under construction with some mock up parts, but getting closer. I am a big fan of the traditional 50's style Hot Rod, but I wanted to do something that you don't see every day. I love the 60's and early 70's style cars, so I went with that style. It is pretty high out back, but I think it looks pretty good overall. If you have any input, bring it on. I am getting close to finish welding the frame so If I am going to make a stance change, better do it soon. If you are a photo shop guru, I am also looking for a color change. something gaudy and over the top for this one. Candy Brandy wine with gold flake frame, or maybe root beer panel job?

Attached Files:

2. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

"but I think it looks pretty good"...you said all that needs to be said right there HAMB brother! For what it's worth, I think it's bitchin'. I forget what those headlights are called, but that's the first car I have seen with them that looks correct to me. Keep up the nice work and I can't wait to see what color you choose.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That car looks about right for a set of E&J's. The rest looks OK in my book. Keep the progress coming.

Frank

4. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Looks mean:mad::mad:as HELL!!! I like it

5. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

^^^^^What He said^^^^^

6. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

that thing looks pretty good to me. for colors I think a gold frame and lights with way too much flake, and a bright green with gold flake body would set that thing off... bass boat style.

7. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Well since you asked, I think it looks a bit cartoonish - I'd raise the front of the body about 3 inches - make the bottom body line go in a straight line from rear axle to front axle.

8. hydrohowell

hydrohowell
    from redding ca

Thanks for the positive responses. I am real happy with it so far. Paint is a way off, and I expect it will see 20 shades of suade paint before it sees any clear. I love the gold and green combo too, but I am headded that way with my shovelnose hydro (hence hydrohowell) who knows, lots tin work before I get to the puddy. Any input on rear fenders, they will need to be bobed and widened a bit, It will have 30x10 Firestone cheater wites going on the back, so I will loose a bit of the baloon in the rear tread

9. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

It definately looks mean. But I think you might want to consider widening the rear fenders or loose them. Just mho.

10. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

rad shell looks to heavy- t/a type better suited with 'light' look of the wheels
    please try some other headlites

11. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

looks mean i like it, i do agree with builtfercomfort and maby raise just the front of the body, but other wise i think it looks killer,

12. hydrohowell

hydrohowell
    from redding ca

I still have mixed feelings on the E&J's I generally can't stand them, but I got a great deal and I think they look better on this one than they do on most. I am growing fonder of them with time. Still unky footballs. Still on the fence, I need to find a pair of ELectrolines to hang up front before I make a decision. I had a pair of the bitchin 34 chrysler headlights with the creased glass but they were way too big. Nothing is locked in yet, they beauty of the build, once you decide on all of the pieces, the daydreaming ends.

13. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

you should try some laced cycle wheels on the front of that bad boy it would scream 60's looks good keep us posted

14. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im digging it. But if it was me and it was going on the street I'd be fitting front brakes.

15. This is just my opinion...but I like the car enough to throw my hat in the ring here.

I find the car gives the visual impression that it's gonna break in two where the frame kicks up in front of the cowl. I would change that stance to take away from that look. I don't like seeing cars set up like that..but again...that's just my opinion.

I'd leave the body as is on the frame and lift the front suspension up and lower it in the back. I think it would also help to take away from the "folded frame" look if you tipped your grille shell forward at the top, so it comes closer to matching the angle on the cowl. What I mean by that is....when viewing your car dead "side on", the vertical line on the grille shell should be closer to matching the vertical line on the front of the cowl.

I've spent alot of time tweaking mine because I'm running a hood. It's crucial for me to have everything dead on, but less critical for you because you're not running a hood. As long as you're closer you'll be better! I think that by bringing those angles closer together, in combination with mellowing out the rake....you'll make a huge positive difference in the overall impact of the car.

You'll still have a decent rake...but more subtle than extreme...allowing that beatiful mill, mean pipes, awesome front wheels and evil headlights take centre stage...where they belong!!!

16. Oh yeah!.... forgot to weigh in on color. First glance conjured up images of a dark and more sophisticated and subtle color jazzed up with silver flake. Maybe like the color on this bad boy but add the flake....(pinkees rod shop roadster pickup)

Attached Files:

17. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Thats pure bad ass! i'm loving the hella-rake and "bent look of the frame. The only criticism that i have is that you should look into chopping up the rear fenders a bit. Shorten the over hang of the front of them, try to get them to end where the body ends. other than that, bitchin' man!

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

I generally dislike the rear kick up also but if you build what you state you are, it goes fine here.

Many 60's builds were over the top. Done right, too far can be pretty cool. As noted though, if you actually plan on driving it, get front brakes.

19. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

[​IMG]
    Its very quick, but i had some time to mess around. I bobbed the rear fender and added the top of your door. I tried to capture a heavy metal flake maroon/burnt orange, but my photoshop skills are very limited. I also painted your headlights gloss gray, your frame a gloss brown and added a vinyl top. I would paint your grill the same color as the body, but like i said, it was a quickie.
    -Josh

20. I dig it. It looks like a 60's Hot Wheel. I think the E and J's look good on your car. I normally am not a fan. The rear fenders need some work for flow. Maybe reduce some of the rear rake...It definitely fits crazy late 60's early 70's. I also agree on the rootbeer metal flake color.

21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I like it, but if it were a car that I purchased as it sits, the first thing I would do is lose the rear fenders and put some big pie-crust cheater slicks in the back. But that's me. I think it looks mean as hell and I know you'll have a blast with it!

22. Bob the rear fenders and ditch the headlights... and shorter tires on the back.

Sam

23. hydrohowell

hydrohowell
    from redding ca

Thanks again for the input guys and the Photoshop stuff is amazing. THANKS THIRD GEN. Like I posted earlier, this is the first day that it was off the jack stands and wood blocks. Dont even have a pan bar in it, not even sure if it will have a pan bar, might go with a watts link. The fenders still need work if I run them, I have also been leaning toward a vinyl top but who knows. And as for brakes, it needs to run before it needs to stop. I will be plumbing it for brakes though, a set of 45 fin drums up front wouldn't look bad regular driving. I have looked into getting a set of Radir 12 spokes with the disc's on them too. This thing is starting to look like I'm made of money, but I eat ramen, drink cheap beer if I didn't buy parts that week and do all of the work myself with the help of Brandon from Halilton intakes. He is a great guy with some great parts, and he knows his shit. If you have a chance, check out hamiltonintakes.com. I got the prototype 4x2 671 blower top that they came out with a few months ago, polished it and the carbs by hand, sure looks good up top to me.

24. hydrohowell

hydrohowell
    from redding ca

A few shots of the chassis. Just got a Corvair box in, going to do a custom bell crank up frunt just under the motor plate. It will be a cross steer without a big vega box up front. Had to mount the box on the floor, Im 6'4" and a 3' column was out of the question. Also started working on fitting a modified 64 T-Bird wrap around rear seat for the front bench. I put one in the rear of my 52 Caddy DeVille and although they suck to sit in, they look pretty damn cool.

Attached Files:

25. hydrohowell

hydrohowell
    from redding ca

This is a where I was the last time I made it down to Chico, Ca to work on it. Rollers are way better than piles of parts stacked up on milk crates, jack stands, and whatever else I could find

Attached Files:

26. I was gonna ask you about those framerails too...are they the front sweep up rails being produced commercially now? Or did you modify them yourself?

27. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Looks bloody mean as HELL, I like it!

Nick.

28. butch

butch
    from Michigan

That thing looks 60's Cool man. I dig king bee's.

29. hydrohowell

hydrohowell
    from redding ca

Thanks for all of the input, I'll keep you posted on the progress

30. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

KICK ASS! If I were doing a cartoon illustration of an A sedan, this would be it! Stay the coarse and don't change a thing. I like pie crust slicks, but those rear meats just fit.