Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Slightly O/T: Anybody built their kids a large-scale toy car to play on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

When I was a kid, I wanted an old car to play on and in quite badly. Now that I have kids, I keep thinking how cool it would be to build them a large-scale toy car to play on: Essentially a piece of playground equipment shaped like an old car.

I’m thinking that the boxy shape of an early Model T roadster would lend itself well to a 13/16 scale replica, based on a set of old Falcon wheels I’ve got lying around with 165/80/13 tires mounted up.

Thoughts? Examples?

-Dave

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wow. That's a bit more detail than I was planning, but very impressive.

Yours?

-Dave

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

That dude is eat up with big rigs, or little rigs. I wonder how long that took.

5. rebelrat

rebelrat

MORE INFO on the semi PLEASE !!!!!!!!!

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Could you imagine the looks you would get in traffic?

7. jeffh355

jeffh355

Wow... that semi is amazing!!!

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

9. unkamort

unkamort

that tractor trailer guy is nuts!

Probably around the time I was born our town got a 'new' war surplus 46 Ford fire engine. That meant that the 'ol AA Ford rig had to go., and it was moved up the street behind my granmaws five and dime. I discovered it at about age 3. Not every kid can say they had their very own personal fire engine to play on. So my votes for Fire Engine.
    BTY... I was told later in life that the AA went to a junkyard where it was fitted with a boom and served out its time loading scrap. I think it had 800 odd miles on it.

10. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

i always wanted my own red caboose
    hope to get it done for the 5 grnkids

11. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

Here is one I built for my kid. It's a fiberglass body I bought somewhere. I built the frame and stuff. Powered by an electric motor. Was in CK Deluxe.

Attached Files:

12. krome

krome

where can i get a body like one?

13. junkjunky

junkjunky

since we get grandkids 2 at a time arround here I built this stroller for 2.I cut the body out of a old bonneville roof. it will hold 2 up untill they get about 4 years old.

Attached Files:

14. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

We got and old 88 chevy truck in the back. No doors, hood, engine, trans, or box but the kids have a blast in it. I usually find them seat belted in pretending to race.

15. Buy that "someday" project now & let 'em play in it.

JH

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I like the way you think. Not sure how the neighbors would take to it, though.

-Dave

17. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Does this qualify?

My kids love being pushed around the neighborhood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. gearjam1

gearjam1

-As most kids are, my kids are nuts over Thomas the Tank Engine. Last week, I was looking at the rolling chassis of my '26 Henney Hearse (the body burned in '33), and my pile of scrap metal... My thought, is to weld-up a half-ass Thomas replica using the frame and wheels from the Henney. The motor is apart in the shop, so I am hoping to build this thing, where the "train" body can be easily removed at a later date, as the kids get older. Nothing fancy, but the way that my kids go nuts over the wooden train playset at the park, this should fill the bill. I know I always wanted my own full-sized train when I was a kid... I think it's way cool that you are wanting to build something for your kids! Keep us posted with what you come up with! -Tony B.