Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I was wondering about the post about seeing a '57 Pontiac with F.I. As far as I know the only '57 Pontiacs that ever had the F.I. as an option was the top of the line...Bonneville Convertible and they were pretty rare. In '58 it was an option on any body style. 315 HP with the hyd. cam if I recall right......and for a few years the solid lifter McKeller cams were offered as a dealer installed option I believe......

2. A guy not far from here has been seen cruising around in a perfect restored, stock '57 Pontiac conv. with factory injection. ....VERY rare :D
    -Dean

3. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I wish they would have had a picture of the motor in the Thumper....;)

4. Someone should re-create the "Northwind", such a cool car. That article shows some great detail of it.
    -Dean

5. markus A

markus A

I was watching the Mecum Jan. auction on HD Theater last night. Saw this '57 FI Poncho Bonney Convert go for around $210K. They claimed it is probably the finest one in the world. This link will get you there.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0110-89883&entryRow=115

6. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Dean, I know someone who was planning to do that but now he's recreating OL#1 with Jenkins and Susie's help. I can't post updates just yet, but it is scheduled to be at York this year. This car will actually have some original parts from the real car and carbs & dyno tune by Grump hisself. I'll be putting some more parts in the mail for the project tomorrow. It's all coming together very nicely. I think you'll want to be at York!!!:):)

7. 65deluxe

65deluxe

I think we're all looking forward to seeing the new Old Reliable Biscayne Verne, and I hear its getting close.
    Here's a shot of the Northwind. It may have been posted earlier.
    2.jpg

8. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Yes, notice the names on the quarter. That's '64. In '65 Jenkins has his famous sticker on the quarter. The whole saga about Jenkins' involvement in that car is actually a "by chance" incident. Joe got a job working for Jenkins while he was racing his car. He was working on whatever was in the shop and one day he asked Jinks if he would help him rebuild the 409. The rest is history.
    I talked to Joe recently and he said he'd love to see a replica of his car brought back. I think it would be a good thing and I only know of one guy who would put his soul into the project.:):)

And by the way, I've mentioned this before MANY pages ago, but Joe named the car after a north Atlantic ice breaker he was stationed on when he was in the service. The ship was called the Northwind.!!!!!!!!!

9. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Ive talked to Joe a couple times, nice guy. He told me that he brought the car to Jenkins with 23 miles on the odometer.

10. wow i cant believe i finnally got to the endof this thread.......well, whatcha all waitin fer post more pics lol

11. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I cant believe someone hasnt posted the pic of Ken's vette sitting in the pits at indy "topless" in the rain after some sucker stole his hardtop in the motel parking lot the night before? I know I have that pic but just cant find it! Come on Colsey(or anybody) - I know you can come up with it? Dig it out and share!!! That pic may have even been in National Dragster too?

12. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Is the vette "topless" in this pic? I cant tell. The pic i was thinking of has the vette sittin on the trailer with one a tarp or blanket draped over it to try to keep the rain out. Just maybe the pic i'm thinking of was one i took and have it buried away with some more old Nationals pics but i had thought i shared all of those with you already.
    If it was my pic, I'll run across it again some day and then i'll post it!!
    Maybe someone else has it? I'm sure Ken or Jack or some of their friends know more of that stolen top story than i do ---- Come on someone - chime in with the "grubby" details of the "Grinch" that stole Ken's top!!!!

13. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

what is that pull car? looks like a 50's caddy with suicided doors and a mecury breezaway roof!

homemade?

14. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

15. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Yeah, I was there and I'm sure that Keith and Tony remember it as well. 1965 was the the year of the miracle, one-day wonder race. It rained most of the weekend through Saturday and all the eliminations were completed on Sunday. We lost to Russ Matthews in the first round.

c

16. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Not mentioned in the article was the fact that some of the '66 390 Comet engines were equipped with the 428 Police Interceptor aluminum high rise intake manifold. Few '66 390 Comet owners ever knew they had an aluminum intake as it was painted Ford blue like the rest of the engine. I pointed that fact out to a friend many years ago when my magnet would not stick to the intake on the original 390 in his '66 Comet convertible.

Kentuckian

17. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

In the early days, it was part of the procedure for anyone who had been protested by another racer to run singles throughout eliminations and then run against the survivor at the end of the day. I don't remember too much about the long, long Sunday of the '65 Winternationals but that is a possible explanation.

But wait, you say, what's to keep a racer from having him/herself protested as a way to get through the day without having to race anyone? Can you believe that there was a time when we were naive enough to believe that no one would take advantage of the system to that degree? Perhaps that's why the practice was abandoned fairly quickly.

Tony, Keith, do either of you remember the specifics of that day?

c

18. Keith Berg

Keith Berg

Chuck, I don't recall the race except for it's length. I do have a journal I tried to keep at the time, not especially the events of the race but more about the tuning but, there are some notes jotted down. I will see what I can find out.

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Over on that auction site, we all know and love, is a 57 Chevrolet Nomad Station Wagon, former Drag Car. Not mine, but it looks like a good start for a Jr. Stocker clone. It was probably a stocker, at one point, judging by the shoe polish on the windows. Maybe someone even knows some history on it? Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. biscaynes

biscaynes

21. biscaynes

biscaynes

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That be the one. Too bad it's deteriorated to the point it has, but it could be a whole lot worse. Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

24. That Nomad is in pretty good shape I think! I'd just clean it up and drive it the way it is :D

Finally got the interior DONE on the "In-Bomber", will post some pics tomorrow.

-Dean

25. grod589

grod589
    from Eastern PA

Old picture of Tom Pauser's Vette

Attached Files:

26. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

i agree it's not that bad at all.

:cool:

27. John Burt

John Burt
    from Houston

Great pictures! Warren Trautman is my uncle. I'm been looking for pictures of the Trautman/Nugent car for a long time. He only had 1 and it was lossed (probably due to me) when I lived with him back in the 80's.
    Would love to see some more if you have them.

Thanks,

John Burt

28. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Love the thread... the people and stories are great! always enjoy it....

29. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I remember this car running at Quaker City when I was racing there regularly!

30. Bucksnort

Bucksnort